"Privilege"

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: "Privilege"

Post by narya »

IAWPtB
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
yovargas wrote:My point is that when a black kid is unfairly targeted by cops, nothing has been "given" to whites. Theft from one group is not a gift towards the other. Violence against blacks is not a gift to whites and thinking of it that way - which is what the word privilege implies - is perverse, IMO.
But when a black kid is unfairly not given a job (despite being the most qualified), a white kid certainly benefits (and the stats show that being highly-qualified and black is still far more difficult than being moderately-qualified and white). Or when black kids are routinely locked up for long periods of time for minor violations, while white kids who commit the same violations are either given a slap on the wrist or lighter sentences, the white kids benefit. When sentences for cocaine (an expensive drug predominately consumed by white people) are much lighter than sentences for crack (a cheap drug predominately used by black people), the white people benefit. That's privilege, plain and simple. White people don't just enjoy more fair treatment under the law (and in the workplace), they benefit materially from the the law being more harshly applied to black people. White people are, indeed, often afforded MORE rights than the law should allow, particularly when compared to how the law is applied to black people. In that sense, quite a lot has been "given" to whites by virtue of their ethnicity alone, and that's "privilege."

As a white person, I find it to be a word with great explanatory power. I also find it to be a useful term for engendering a greater level of both humility and empathy in majority communities - a check against the tyranny of the majority which our forefathers sought to prevent. IMO, it is pride ('I have no privilege, I work hard!') and a lack of empathy ('black people have the same opportunities as I do!') which drives opposition to the concept of privilege in the public debate (not on this MB, to be clear). But the truth is, majority communities do have privileges which minority communities can never have, no matter how hard they work. Unless, of course, minority communities become majority communities. Then things can change, and the new majority must strive not to repeat the sins of the old.
It's both humbling and gratifying to have everything that I have been trying to say summed up so eloquently. Thanks, PtB.

Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'd say there may be a third source of opposition, other than the "pride" and "lack of empathy" PtB mentions: that's the reluctance of some basically very decent people to believe that in a country that has many virtues, there can still exist such inequality as PtB describes. It is a kind of good wish gone awry: wanting so much not to be confronted with the dark side of American life that one ends up denying the existence of injustice. Which, of course, perpetuates the bad stuff. :(
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

I heard another interview today with Bryan Stephenson today on NPR's Fresh Air. Listen to the first few minutes when this Harvard Law graduate and recipient of a MacArthur "genius grant" describes getting stopped and almost killed by police because he was sitting in his car in front of his home listening to Sly and the Family Stone:

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/20/356964925 ... just-mercy
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Listened to the whole thing. I think I'm in love. That guy is amazing.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

He IS impressive, isn't he?

Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:In that video, Jon modestly states that he is not the best or most articulate person to discuss those issues. I give you, the very next night:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/extended-int ... -interview

(This clip isn't as much "fun" but perhaps more substantial.)
Incredible interview.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

oh, yes! My daughter and I sat in the car yesterday TRANSFIXED by that interview. The 16yo said: Mom, we have to buy his book!

And usually she wants to switch the radio to music when she gets into the car, but not this time. He's amazing and inspiring.
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Bah! Sorry this video is not available at your location.

---------------------------------
Pardon my typos - tiny phone keyboard probs.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I watched it. He is indeed amazing and inspiring. I hope he's listened to. So much has gone unacknowledged in our history, and now you can be accused of racism if you do "stir up all that old history" . . . of racism. Very convenient.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Impy, here's the transcript - not as gripping as the voice version, but still worth a read.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript ... =356964925

If that doesn't work, I'll email it to you. :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Narya, thank you :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x284ie ... 14-2-2_fun

I found this version that works for me.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

And thank you Alatar:D .
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm going to put this here rather than in the Ferguson thread because I think it is particularly relevant to the issues of privilege. Eric Adams, currently the Brooklyn Borough President, is a retired NYPD captain:

We Must Stop Police Abuse of Black Men, By ERIC L. ADAMS
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I haven't read the Ferguson thread, because it really embarrasses me that this is happening not so far away....

But reading that article suddenly makes me realize that my daughter's intelligent, sweet and very shy boyfriend might someday get harassed for no reason at all and that makes me more than a little bit defensive for him. I worry if he ever gets treated harshly, he'll be damaged forever. :( And I'm already wanting to defend little brown grandchildren from anyone who might ever even think anything cruel at them! (We don't have the proper emoticon for the growling emotion I'm feeling!)

Them:

Even in Boulder, CO, land of the liberals, they've already gotten cruel comments by strangers. :nono:

That's all about that I have to say about that. I don't have the mental energy to get involved in politics or semantics or whatever this thread was about before... but I did notice this post earlier upthread:
yov wrote:I've gone on dates where the other person was afraid to hold my hand in public for fear of their safety. As a straight person, you've likely never had to think of such a problem. Is that your "privilege"? I surely don't view it that way but more than that, I don't see how trying to frame it that way does anything to help me.
I know it's not the same, but I was on active duty in the Army for 3 years stationed with my husband. When we were both in uniform, we were not allowed to show any sort of affection for each other. Not holding hands, not a loving look, not even a peck on the cheek. The repercussions would have had an impact on our careers. Being married wasn't against the rules, but acting in a sexual way towards each other while in uniform was forbidden.

One of the reliefs of getting out of the Army was to never have to worry about that again. It wasn't a "privilege". It was getting out from under an oppressive regulation.

We hold hands in public all the time now, part of a reaction against that time, I guess.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't have time to add anything substantial, but dang are they a cute couple!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

[ot]What a sweet-looking couple! It may sound trite, but they really look like they were made for each other.[/ot]
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

:love:
So lovely!
:love:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That pic as adorable. :)

V-man, I read that article but I'm not sure why you chose this thread over the other one?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists