Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: 50 Shades of Gay

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Frelga wrote:Great news! Now please send all the newlywed couples to honeymoon in California. We are relaliably informed that this is guaranteed to cause massive rainfall, and the draught is fierce here.
You joke, but :D I worked for the ACLU in a particular state when I was in law school and participated in the filing of a marriage equality lawsuit that summer. We filed the lawsuit in the morning. It was sunny and we ate wedding cake at the press conference. Then, in the afternoon, the relevant city was subject to a flash flood...and my beloved car was swept away and totaled. The only reasonable conclusion is of course that gay marriage = Noah's ark part II.

:burned:

Thread title updated.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't joke, it's a scientifically proven fact.

For a given value of "scientifically", "proven" and "fact."

How same-sex marriage causes floods
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

nerdanel wrote: The only reasonable conclusion is of course that gay marriage = Noah's ark part II.

:burned:

Thread title updated.
Until I looked I thought that "Noah's ark part II" was the new subtitle. :help:

One thing that occurred to me is that if we included all of the states in which marriage equality has been legalized but put on hold pending appeal, it would be more than half of the states (I think; I haven't actually counted it out). Is that a tipping point?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Once the appeals start being denied, it will seem pretty overwhelming. It may be there already. Culture has shifted enough that large corporations, for example, would have to look twice at siting facilities in a state where same-sex marriage is being legislatively blocked and where it is not recognized at the state level; this would be like siting in a Jim Crow state. You can see corporate America realizing this, and I expect that this is what will finally hurt the reddest states enough to move them along. Not concern for their own citizens, but concern for their bottom line.

I'm glad that Oregon doesn't have to wait in suspense. I hope that at some point the Supreme Court sweeps all this patchwork away, as they did in Loving.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_m ... x_marriage

Looks like we are in fact at 25, counting seven stayed rulings - with VA, UT, OK, TX, MI, ID, and MR in that camp. (The total count that this thread uses - 19 - includes DC, so we are actually only at 18 states with full legalization.)
Until I looked I thought that "Noah's ark part II" was the new subtitle.
Could've gone with "Noah's Ark Nineteen" - definitely!
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:wooper:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mrchigan?

I woke up this morning and I was still married to my husband, BTW.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

nerdanel wrote:Could've gone with "Noah's Ark Nineteen" - definitely!
I love it. But I guess it wouldn't mean much to someone unless they were closely following the thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

nerdanel wrote:Looks like we are in fact at 25, counting seven stayed rulings - with VA, UT, OK, TX, MI, ID, and MR in that camp. (The total count that this thread uses - 19 - includes DC, so we are actually only at 18 states with full legalization.)
Ah, but you left out Pennsylvania!

https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/468820684722810880

Edited to add:
Judge Jones wrote, “in future generations the label same-sex marriage will be abandoned, to be replaced simply by marriage. We are better people than what these laws represent, and it is time to discard them into the ash heap of history.”
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/05/ ... d-tuesday/
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hear, Hear!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I've been meaning to post the final paragraphs of Judge McShane's opinion in his Oregon ruling:
It is at times difficult to see past the shrillness of the debate. Accusations of religious bigotry and banners reading "God Hates Fags" make for a messy democracy and, at times, test the First Amendment resolve of both sides. At the core of the Equal Protection Clause, however, there exists a foundational belief that certain rights should be shielded from the barking crowds; that certain rights are subject to ownership by all and not the stake hold of popular trend or shifting majorities.

My decision will not be the final word on this subject, but on this issue of marriage I am struck more by our similarities than our differences. I believe that if we can look for a moment past gender and sexuality, we can see in these plaintiffs nothing more or less than our own families. Families who we would expect our Constitution to protect, if not exalt, in equal measure. With discernment we see not shadows lurking in closets or the stereotypes of what was once believed; rather, we see families committed to the common purpose of love, devotion, and service to the greater community.

Where will this all lead? I know that many suggest we are going down a slippery slope that will have no moral boundaries. To those who truly harbor such fears, I can only say this: Let us look less to the sky to see what might fall; rather, let us look to each other ... and rise.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Primula Baggins wrote:Mrchigan?

I woke up this morning and I was still married to my husband, BTW.
You are not in compliance with Oregon state law. You must report to City Hall forthwith so that each of you can be assigned your new compulsory same-sex marriage partners. This has been black-letter gay marriage law since 2004, as my paper of record reports:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/massac ... s-to,1135/

As for Pennsylvania, since the AG is not willing to defend the law and the district court is not willing to stay its order, clearing the way for marriage licenses to be issued later today, I'm inclined to go ahead and include them in our thread count. We may have to downgrade by one if the Third Circuit changes something, but we've had to do so before.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
nerdanel wrote:Could've gone with "Noah's Ark Nineteen" - definitely!
I love it. But I guess it wouldn't mean much to someone unless they were closely following the thread.
I saw the news today about Pennsylvania and went "OPA!" which roughly translates to "Woot!" in Greek.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And for a reminder on why this matters,

Married gay couple fight for in-state tuition rights

It's the simple things that most of us take for granted, like paying in-state tuition.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Wisconsin is the latest state to have a same sex marriage ban struck down, although it is unclear at this point whether the ruling is going to be stayed or not.

The other news of note is that a lawsuit has been filing in federal court challenging the marriage equality ban in North Dakota. That means that every single marriage equality ban in the country is now being challenged.
Voronwë the Faithful

Add Indiana to the list, pending a likely appeal and stay.

And, more significantly, the 10th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals, in a 2 to 1 decision, has affirmed the decision overturning Utah's same sex marriage ban. However, they kept the stay in place, pending the expected SCOTUS appeal. But this is the very first Court of Appeals panel to rule that banning same sex marriage is unconstitutional (you will recall that the Ninth Circuit ruled that California's Prop 8 was unconstitutional on the more narrow grounds that the voters could not take away a right that had already been given). The judge writing the decision was a Bill Clinton appointee, but the judge that joined him was appointed by George W. Bush. The dissenting judge was appointed by Bush the Elder. And it continues the trend in which every single court that has ruled on the issue since SCOTUS ruled that DOMA was unconstitutional in part.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Wisconsin and Tenth Circuit are stayed, and Indiana marriages are currently going forward but are likely to be stayed by a higher court, so I'll leave our count where it is for now. This is definitely an historic day.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The county clerk in Boulder County, CO has reacted to the 10th circuit's ruling by issuing marriage licenses to homosexual couples, starting TODAY.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

So they technically aren't supposed to be doing that. The symbolism is compelling, but I know from our Winter of Love that even with the best intentions, that sort of thing can create confusion and heartache (as couples go from thinking they're married, to realizing they're not, to having to get married again and then figure out which anniversary to celebrate, etc.)
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Voronwë the Faithful

That's irresponsible. At least in San Francisco, there was some hope that the marriages would validated, however small, and it undoubtedly gave the marriage equality movement a big push at a time when it needed it. All that this accomplishes is misleading people into thinking that they are married when they aren't.