The History of the Silmarils - a serialization

A forum for our members to collaborate on scripts adapted from Tolkien's works, patterned on the massive LOTR screenplay authored by ToshoftheWuffingas.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, I’m just grateful to Voronwë for giving us this web space so our script can see daylight. It doesn’t matter to me if no one comments, but at least it is being read, judging by the regular number of views for each instalment. We are not suffering from delusions of literary grandeur…we embarked on this project for the private purposes of our own amusement, to show that The Silmarillion could be serialized, à la Game of Thrones, in some form or another. Whilst Ethelwynn perhaps wishes we were scripting for an HBO adult-rated mini-series, ;) for me at least, the objective has been to show that the book could be dramatized whilst remaining as faithful to the text as possible, without conventional Hollywood condensing and sensationalism.

I could have written a page of justifications for the parts we have written that purists won’t like, but this commentary thread already contains much of that. Instead let’s look at what we might have got right:

- unlike Jackson, we have no huge Osgiliations,
- we have used original dialogue where it exists,
- we have not cut any characters,
- We have certainly not gone as far as PJ & co and written extraneous scenes to replace Tolkien simply “because it wouldn’t work on film.”

As everyone is aware, there is no complete narrative to work with, enforcing a great amount of original interpretation for scenes only hinted at by Tolkien. We have, on a couple of occasions named unnamed background characters, and added dialogue to replace a narrator's voice, filling in details for scenes that were only described in generality in the original text. But, yes, we have fallen foul of the dreaded “Fan Fiction,” something which is unavoidable in adapting an incomplete narrative. However, those areas of the script with such personal indulgences are pretty much self-contained, and incidental to the main storyline of the series - the Doriath 2-parter, the Gondolin mini-series, for example. Whilst they add depth to the overall picture they could be cut quite easily without spoiling continuity.

A perhaps more intrusive “indulgence” has been Ethelwynn’s escaped Elves subplot, which hopefully remains sympathetic to the overall story canon. Whilst SF and I somewhat cherry-picked the scenes that appealed to our individual strengths and inclinations for bringing to life, alongside utlizing her SCA expertise for fight action, Ethelwynn readily took on the thankless task of scripting the countless more mundane scenes where there was no actual narrative to follow, just a list of events – particularly for Barahir and his outlaws, and her Himring storyline – for which we are eternally grateful. We simply couldn’t have got the script this far without her.

Ethelwynn also came up with the solution to the fact that there are no “everyman” characters, such as the Hobbits, in The Sil. If we had every Elf talk and behave like they did in LotR, even with the Edain for contrast, it probably would make for a boring movie. That is why Ethelwynn took on the Fëanorians, since their characters are the constant driving force throughout the story, and gave them less rigid and stuffy - more human? - personae. She has a real knack and feel for characterization…she can come up with great little vignettes within the larger scenes, giving us a necessary human touch. My one proviso was that they should still converse with language befitting Tolkien, whilst the race of Men could afford to be more colloquial. We haven’t always seen eye to eye on this, and I’m amazed Ethelwynn is still talking to me!!

Whether all this makes for an exciting, audience-captivating drama serial, it is hard to judge without actually seeing the script visualized. I’m sure once we saw a rough draft in the editing suite the knife would see plenty of action! I would be the first to admit that featuring so many characters would be confusing to the non-initiated, and that in many places my dialogue, at least, is too long-winded and would need paring down. For any that have seen actual pages from the script of a movie, it is surprising how sparing the dialogue usually is – the old adage of “don’t tell when you can show” really is key for this visual medium…

Of course, a project can only be as good as the persons contributing, and the smaller the “membership” then the more limited the basis for discussion of ideas and viewpoints going into the project. If there is stuff in there you don’t like, then it’s because no one has bothered to say, “sorry, but that doesn’t work for me, why don’t you try this instead” or “no way, that’s not what Tolkien would have written…” The next instalment after the one I am about to post offers just such a chance for discussion that we would welcome: Ethelwynn is planning to introduce the idea that the dwarves might have used a form of “Greek Fire” in the NA, along with trebuchets/ballistae. Thoughts and opinions would be most welcome!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Elen neglected to mention the amount of time she puts into each script correcting my dialogue. If it were not for her, these Elves would sound like they just stepped out of Brooklyn or Belfast.

The thing I like best about Tolkien's writing is that it does not feel like fantasy to me. The characters and situations ring true for the way "real" people would act in the same circumstances. This is probably why I can pick up Tolkien's work and still be caught up in the story, while Lewis' Narnia and Kurtz' Deryni Chronicles defy acceptance. I loved the other authors when I was young, but now I check everything against believability and the characters fail.

The reality of Tolkien's characters makes adding traits to them an easy task. Elen overestimates the effort it takes to see Beren as a cocky kid on his first adventure, complete with the hotheaded arrogance and perceived invincibility that most youth have.

I would love to see our script on film, just to see what it looks like. Oh, Peter? Game for another one? I'm kidding, of course (no, I'm not.).
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This latest instalment wraps up an extended episode 2, with Ethelwynn's portrayal of the Feanorians withdrawal to Amon Ereb after the NA, tying up some loose ends and general getting everything in place for later events.

Episode 3 will kick off approximately 30 years later, with the release of Húrin from Angband. We purposely have avoided CoH territory, but naturally there will be some overlap as we follow the fate of the Silmaril through its history...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

This board is quiet, but it looks like some of you are still watching Elen's posts on the episodes. Speak up and tell us what you think. A good conversation will keep us all warm now that winter's hit -- at least in Colorado.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ethel, I am reading, just not commenting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Still reading, and liking, though I'm not saying anything, Definitely not seeing anything that offends my sensibility like Azog the Idiot!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'll take that as a compliment!

Running out of steam a bit now...struggling to fill the last few pages of this episode to conclude the storyline for this season. Ethelwynn, I know wants to write up her Feanorrim storyline further, but there is so little to go on in terms of canon for this period, and, of course, once the refugees settle at the Mouths of Sirion nothing happens with regard to Elwing's storyline until she is grown up and married to Eärendil. But that would have all happened in later seasons, should we ever get that far. This will be it for now, I'm afraid.

Any suggestions and ideas on how we could conclude this episode would be gratefully received!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hmm...so perhaps I was a little hasty earlier: The lure of the Fall of Gondolin has been greater than I could resist! We will be working on Season 6 in the coming months, and perhaps posting instalments in smaller chunks as we create the scenes, so feel free to offer comments and suggestions between our posts.

The prologue will be up shortly: we kick off in YS 472, with a recap of Huor's death at the NA, and Tuor's subsequent birth, followed by a glimpse of events in Gondolin in the aftermath of said battle.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

You gonna make me look good when I appear?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

You'll be every bit as good as Tolkien wrote you! :D
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Does that mean you'll be visiting Vinyamar!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Some day, Al. It's on my bucket list.
Voronwë the Faithful

I hope you don't mind some rare criticism. I don't like this at all:
Ulmo: [voiceover] He looks good. [camera shift to The Swordsman constellation in the sky.]
Oromë: [voiceover] Strong, clever, observant, and not too tightly bound by rules others set for him. You are right; he is just what we need..
Ulmo: [voiceover] He is raw material yet. Good, yes, but not ready. Aulë would say he needs some tempering.
Oromë: [voiceover] Then that he shall have. Leave him to me. [Camera pull back as Ulmo dissolves back into the water. Stream, woods, and sky stand silent except for normal night noises. We hear rough footsteps and low growling and snuffling of Wargs. Camera fade.]
My understanding and impression has always been that Ulmo was acting completely alone and indeed in contravention to the rest of the Valar in setting up Tuor to go to Gondolin, and eventually lead to Eärendil coming to Valinor. As he says to Tuor:
So it shall be while I endure, a secret voice that gainsayeth, and a light where darkness was decreed. Therefore, though in the days of this darkness I seem to oppose the will of my brethren, the Lords of the West, that is my part among them, to which I was appointed ere the making of the World.
This scene makes it look more like a joint enterprise than a secret voice, opposing the will of the rest of the Lords of the West.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I am in complete agreement, V...that was my reaction when I read the scene - I know it sounds like I'm passing the blame here, but this latest group of scenes, from where the Elves leave the caves, is Ethelwynn's take on things. Funnily enough, I actually wrote to her with pretty much the same words you have used, saying that Ulmo was going out on a limb to help the Noldor postpone Mandos' Doom, and he wouldn't have involved any of the other Valar in his scheme.

I'm not that comfortable with it, though it's a clever idea for a scene, as long at it doesn't escalate any further...

But I should let Ethelwlwynn respond here if she is inclined!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, okay. Well then I will refrain from saying anything further until she comments. Other than saying that I do understand the dramatic reasons for the scene. But it is just a bridge too far for me in terms of adaptation of an aspect of the legendarium that has always been particularly precious to me.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I contacted Ethelwynn over a week ago and she promised to come here and state her case regarding the scene in question. Hopefully we will hear from her soon, as the script is rather in hiatus at the moment. I can't continue to post anything until I have received her scenes concerning Tuor's enslavement to the Easterlings.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm certainly curious to see what she has to say!
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Sorry that I've been AWOL for so long. I'm going to blame it on life going crazy, but for me that's situation normal. Family needs and extra work these needs spawned kept me away, not a lack of desire to join this conversation.

I know Elen didn't care for my bringing in Oromë, and that Tolkien wrote that Ulmo acted alone in guiding Tuor. My logic circuits just could not handle that. Ulmo is a lot of things, but he is not a warrior and I think he is wise enough about himself to know this. He needs some advice in picking a champion and definitely some help in training said champion to make Tuor the skilled and hardened warrior he needs to be. Otherwise, this could likely end up another tragic failure. Right now, Ulmo can't risk that. Thus, he seeks help from someone who knows combat and can be trusted to keep his mouth shut.

That brings me to why I chose Oromë over Tulkas. Tulkas is good in combat, but a bit too "Hail-Fellow-Well-Met" when he's not in battle. Oromë seems like he will keep all this to himself. He can be ruthless, and ignore the rules of fair play when necessary. This is ideal, considering what Tuor is going to have to face.

Oromë would see Tuor's time of slavery as the perfect way to temper his character. It may go a bit too far, as in he may well get too damaged to be around people for a time and need a bit of quiet. Also, he will be reluctant to trust or love again (until he meets the right woman, but that's Elen's baby).

So there's my reason for altering the standard and bringing in another Valar. Thoughts? I'd be game for a debate, although it may take days before I reply and I know that's awfully annoying.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Anyone care to debate this further? Only, I've received some more material from Ethel to work on so I'd like to be able to push on and post some more of the storyline shortly.

Alternatively, may I suggest a compromise? Voronwë's posting of Ulmo's quote gave me the idea of incorporating it into the scene, so that Ulmo tells Oromë what he is proposing, but Oromë opts out of aiding him, whilst agreeing to keep quiet on the matter:

Camera shift to stream. Ulmo’s face appears again in the water, then the Vala rises silently to watch Tuor’s back..]

Ulmo: [voiceover] He looks good. [camera shift to The Swordsman constellation in the sky.]
Oromë: [voiceover] Strong, clever, observant, and not too tightly bound by rules others set for him...
Ulmo: [voiceover] He is raw material yet. Good, yes, but not ready. Aulë would say he needs some tempering.
Oromë: [voiceover] Are you proposing that we oppose the Will of our brethren? This is a matter I cannot aid you in...
Ulmo: [voiceover] Nay, though maybe it is my part alone among them while I endure, to be a secret voice that gainsayeth, and a light where darkness was decreed.
Oromë: [voiceover] Then I will keep your counsel for now. [Camera pull back as Ulmo dissolves back into the water. Stream, woods, and sky stand silent except for normal night noises. We hear rough footsteps and low growling and snuffling of Wargs. Camera fade.]
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Since there have been no comments either way, I'll carry on and post the new material for Tuor from Ethelwynn, interspersed with a couple of short, Gondolin "filler" scenes that cover important plot points for later in the story, and help show the passage of time whilst Tuor is a prisoner...
Last edited by Elentári on Mon May 20, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes