The 2008 Presidential Campaign: What Happened and Why?

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Well, they're doing that Ellie.

I didn't realize how frickin' young the undergrads were until I was standing in line with a whole posse of them. I knew the first year grads looked more and more like kids each passing year but the undergrads...man. :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

My brother had a conversation with one his fellow church goers the other day who claimed that he had studied Obama’s past and who he is and where he came from, and compared that to passages in the Bible and determined that Obama is

The Anti-Christ.

Now don’t get me wrong, anybody can come up with whack-job ideas about damn near anything, and religious people have more than share, but this guy is a Methodist, and Methodists tend to be fairly level-headed straight-forward type people. A lot of them are even liberals (take that how you will). And this particular guy is one of the nicest people you’ve ever met - he was a tremendous help to my brother when his wife was put in a wheelchair. But the Anti-Christ?. I can understand how people might think he’s a Muslim because of his name. I can see where mistrust might come from because of his race. I’m not even surprised about the narcissist business because of his personality. I don’t agree with any of those things, but I can see where they come from. But the Anit-Christ? That is a level of paranoia that is just astonishing to me. And to think there are people out there who wholeheartedly believe this, normal people just like me and you. It boggles the mind.

I try to find the humor in it though. Now, when people ask who I voted for, I tell them I voted for the Anti-Christ. Or the Irishman. Same thing, no?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Ellienor wrote:
Obama has a five point lead in CO. Is that really a battleground?
It's traditionally a Republican state. Much depends on you college kids getting out and voting, River. Get out of the bubble in Boulder and Colorado is quite a different place. I work in Littleton with a bunch of Republicans.

Yes, it's a battleground state.
That said, it's one of the less battlegroundy battlegrounds. 538 projects Obama by 6.6% and gives him a 98% chance of carrying the state.

The fact that McCain is campaigning in Colorado is not a comment on Colorado's vulnerability to being picked off; it's a comment on how extremely limited McCain's options are. Basically he has to achieve every single one of a long list of miraculous upsets.

But he can't just decide not to try, merely because the odds are against him.

We watched him on Saturday Night Live last night. He's so engaging and funny when he's relaxed.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Well I think McCain having a rally in Colorado has more to do with its proximity to Arizona than anything.
Personally, I think any state that is around 5% either way can go either way. I don't have a lot of faith in polls for a lot of reasons.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I agree with Holby. Where Obama is up 5%, I think, yeah, he could easily lose. But where it's a tossup, I think, yeah, he'll definitely lose. :P

Paranoia. I'm now thinking he's going to lose a lot of the "leaning" states and definitely, the toss up states. I'd sure like to be pleasantly surprised. :)

I watched the QVC skit Saturday night too, Prim. McCain is funny. I also watched that Al Smith roast. McCain was funny there, too. (So was Obama). I think if more of that McCain showed up and less of the one that was so negative on Obama, the race might be closer.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Hang in there Ellie. Obama will win this race. I am just not so sure it is going to be by 200 electorates.

Even in a worst case scenario like this, Obama will win.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Except if the polls are so wrong that McCain wins PA, he'll win VA and CO too (at a minimum).
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

And if nothing else good comes from this election, we still have Obama Girl. :D

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Apologies if somebody's posted about it before, but this clip is floating around on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

It's the clip of the woman gushing after a Obama rally how she won't have to worry about putting gas in her car or her mortgage, because Obama will help her if she helps him. Or something like that.

Now, assuming it is real: watching that clip, my impression is that it was probably cherry-picked to get a snapshot of somebody talking, probably at least partially of out of context, in a way that would lend support to any number of anti-Obama arguments.

That said, neither would I argue with anybody who asserts that there are some who are misinterpreting the Obama campaign message to mean these things. ( At least, I hope they are misinterpreting :shock: ) ;)

Why do I bother posting this? Just to say, I'm so ready for the election to be over and for things like this to stop being any kind of "news". :) I'm itching for people to put shoulder to the wheel and start addressing real issues, instead of all this campaigning trash talk. I hope every voter holds their candidate and party's feet right in the fire after this election, no matter who that may be, and make sure that they get America out of its messes, instead of deeper into new ones.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, I saw that clip earlier. There are certainly silly people voting for Obama for silly reasons.

I'll be glad when it's over too. I don't want to hear any more promises, at least after January 20th:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Well, today I've told my Republican office-mates that peace shall break out in the Middle East, terrorists will go back to their caves, and a new dawn for mankind will begin, when Obama wins. ;)

True story!
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Ellienor wrote:Well, today I've told my Republican office-mates that peace shall break out in the Middle East, terrorists will go back to their caves, and a new dawn for mankind will begin, when Obama wins. ;)

True story!
I hope you were joking. There is no way that would possibly happen.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What?!!!??? But we were specifically promised!!!! :burned:
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

Well, I for one am also officially "campaigned out." In my highly GOP neck of the woods, I was actually thrilled to see as much support for Obama as I did, even the comfy suburbanites are getting a bit twitchy it seems.

No problems voting, went at 8:30 am at the local school and there was barely any line at all, it took all of maybe fifteen minutes.

I am fairly sure by local reports I have seen of voter turnouts in Milwaukee and Madison that Wisconsin will be going for Obama, even if my county goes McCain.

I have had CNN on in the background all day, but I am getting tired of it all, I guess I will tune in again around 10 pm to see what is coming in.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Hal, it was me just pulling the leg of my office mates, riffing on the supposed supernatural powers of "The One." They laughed too.

I don't mean a word of it. Chances are we'll all find something to dislike about the guy after four years in office (should he get elected). Me, I think he'll be too much of a centrist. * And that is no joke.

*based on his book, and his record. Hillary would have been far more likely to govern without giving a rat's a** about what the Republican position is on a subject. Obama is so anxious to get everyone to the table and create a solution where everybody gets something. Pluses for that approach is that nothing too radical ever gets passed, minuses are that things might get watered down. I think health care would have been better handled under Hillary, because it needs a radical out of the box who-needs-the-private-insurers solution.
Last edited by Ellienor on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Dude !
Lol the guy can hardly get further left.
The only aspect where I can see him leaning center is on defense and maybe some aspects of the economy. I wouldn't worry about Obama leaning too far towards the center.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

What's your evidence that he's so far left? :scratch:

And by the way, I'm definitely no "Dude." "Dudette", if you must. :D
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

:shock:

Voting history?
Campaign agenda like the proposed social programs?
Just listening to what he proposes he will do. Of course that should be taken with a grain of salt, but geez he is pretty liberal in his views on things.

edit:
Dude as in the generic dude.

I am well aware you are firmly affixed in the -ette category.

additional edit:

Watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMSSe7cOvA
Last edited by Holbytla on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

He had to move far to the right to just run his campaign, and he's STILL further left than any candidate we've seen in a long time. He'll move left if he gets elected, back to where he really always has been.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Well, I think the Republicans should be grateful it's not Hillary potentially in the White House. Obama seems anxious to get the approval of all of America, and I think Hillary would have blown off "Red" America. I think she'd relish the opportunity to mow over the Republicans and advance her agenda.

I think Obama would govern quite centrist, based on his stated positions in this election and his writings.