Trees, Light and the Sea in Tolkien's Work?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

And so the light passed down from the trees defeats the progeny of Ungoliant at Cirith Ungol.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Athrabeth wrote::hug:

The stars are indeed made of Telperion's light, but that light is singular, as is the light of the Moon and Sun.

Here's something I wrote on the topic way back in our Sil discussion
Sil discussion? :scratch: Ah, yes, I remember that. :P

Thank you for repeating those beautiful words, Ath. :hug: I agree that the blended light of the Silmarils make them particularly special. However, I do still see a distinction between the light of the stars and the light of the sun and the moon. The latter are the fruits of the death of the Trees, whereas the stars preserve the unsullied light of the eldest of the Trees in its greatest living glory. I think this fitting. The sun, after all, for all of its life-giving power has a destructive edge to it (reminiscent, come to think of it, of the light of the first lamps), and the Moon, while having some association with romantic love, is also symbolic of madness. Whereas the stars mostly inspire awe at the infinite mystery and beauty of the universe.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:... sparked a thought in my mind that she does not cover. ...
I have to take this back, to some extent. Flieger does make a brief allusion to the point that I raise, late in the book (which I hadn't gotten to when I made my original post).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

[Note: I moved a couple of posts from this thread (by me and by Ath) to a new thread I have created on The Second Prophecy.]