Nobel Peace Prize Winner Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Nobel Peace Prize Winner Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The Nobel Committee has come up with a very intriguing winner of this year Nobel Peace Prize. An economist, no less, which should please my dear co-Thainette. ;) Muhammad Yunus, the first Noble Prize winner from Bangladesh, founded what is known as the micro-credit movement with his Grameen Bank, giving very small loans to poor Bangladeshis who did not qualify for loans from conventional banks. No collateral is needed for loans, which average about US$200 (euro160). One interesting point that I noted is that 97% of the banks loans now go to women.

Yunus is not without his critics, particularly regarding the relatively high interest rates of the loans. But that is to be expected with loans requiring no collateral.

Here is an article from the International Herald Tribune:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/ ... _Peace.php
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

My sister was in India recently as part of a team doing research on microloans.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The problem with the interest rate criticism is that charging the same interest to someone without fungible assets to go after in case of default as to someone with recoverable assets is not a viable proposition. If I know I can get a lien on property or bank accounts you have if you default, I can afford to drop your rates. If I know the money is just plain gone if you default, I have to cover that risk somehow.

And of course, if you really need the money for a business, a loan at 20% is better than no loan at 10%.

Edit to add: or a loan at 40%...there were loan sharks available as well, for the unwary, it seems.

Interesting bit from NYT coverage:
When he later formalized the loan-making arrangement as the Grameen Bank in 1983, the bank adopted its signature innovation: making borrowers take out loans in groups of five, with each borrower guaranteeing the others’ debts. Thus, in place of the hold banks have on wealthier borrowers who do not pay their debts — foreclosure and a low credit rating — Grameen depends on an incentive at least as powerful for poor villagers, the threat of being shamed before neighbors and relatives.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

One of my heroes. This is a deserved honour.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Somehow, making small loans doesn't strike me as some amazing endeavor. Why is this such a big deal?

(I'm entirely sure I'm missing something big here.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

An example of how a loan like this is used is that a woman could buy a cell phone with it. Maybe she lives in a village where there are no phone lines and no phones, but people can pay to use her phone to make essential calls. She makes money to supplement her family's other income, and the village gets a service it didn't have. So for no big investment, she and her family get a reliable source of income.

There are a lot of opportunities like this in poor countries, where just a little money has a lot of leverage.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, in poor, developing countries, a small amount of money can go a very long way. I've heard several stories described today of people that were able to use the small loans to establish a new business (or boost an already existing business that is failing) and move on to a much better life. It is small steps, for sure, but small steps are needed before long strides are made.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

The Grammeen Bank probably changed more lives for the better than all the World Bank loans put together. (That's what the big deal is, Yov.)

It wasn't that no one thought to do it before but that no one was willing to do it before. Banks have long used differential access to credit to control the distribution of property ownership.

The high interest rate is not a big deal when the loan principle amounts are so small and the terms are so short. I believe the average loan size has been around $100 for one year. If you look at the amount of money you actually pay in compounded interest over the life of a 20 year mortgage, it is a much higher percentage of the principle than what these small borrowers are paying.

Microlending has spread everywhere. Lots of non-profit organizations now have a micro-lending arm to their regular activities, and some of these have been bought out by traditional banks because they are so profitable. The repayment rate on micro-loans is about 96%, way higher than traditional debt which, in the third world, runs about 70% I believe. And, like Voronwë said, 96% of the loans go to women, who could not walk into a bank and borrow money in their own name anywhere in the third world where the banks were financed by first world banks. Women couldn't even do this in the US until the 1960s.

Looking back over the so-called development decades of the World Bank since WWII, I am tempted to say that the Grammeen Bank is the only idea to have made a permament improvement in the lives of ordinary people, EVER. The Nobel Prize is certainly deserved, and it's the first time in my recollection that it has been given for what we all normative economics - economics concerned with distributional justice - as opposed to positive economics - solutions to theoretical problems. It's also the first time, I believe, that it has ever been granted for an institutional improvement as opposed to some academic exercise.

Obviously I'm very enthusiastic about this one! :D And it's the first time I've ever been enthusiastic about a recipient in Economics. The Nobel Committee should have been hanged for giving the prize to the likes of Jeffrey Sachs, who is possibly responsible for as many deaths by starvation as Joseph Stalin, just not all in one place at one time.

Jn

edit for multiple typos. I am not functioning today
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

But he received the Peace Prize, not the Economics prize!

About the interest rates:
According to the bank, interest ranges from zero percent for loans to beggars to 5 percent for student loans, 8 percent for home loans and 20 percent for loans to businesses that generate income.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's particularly interesting that they gave him (and them) the Peace prize rather then the prize for Economics.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Yunus is much better choice than Cindy Sheehan, I think. She said yesterday that she was a finalist for the Peace prize, but are there really "finalists?"

So, Jn, what has Jeffrey Sachs done that's so awful? ( There's a movement to draft him to run for president! http://www.sachsforpresident.org/ )
Voronwë the Faithful

Shirrif's Note: I split off the dicussion about Economic Theories into a separate thread, here—VtF
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peac ... re-en.html

Read it and why he won the Peace Prize, and not the one for Economics, becomes evident. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Thanks for posting that, axordil.
Dig deeper.
Misha

Post by Misha »

vison wrote:Thanks for posting that, axordil.
What vison said. :agree:

A more equitable distribution of wealth world-wide would certainly have an impact on the balance of power throughout.