2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, now Dr. Conley has confirmed that Trump has had not one but two concerning drops in oxygen, yet says that he could be released from the hospital as soon as tomorrow.

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I have heard that one of the peculiarities of this disease is that patients show extremely low oxygen levels, but that those low levels don't indicate what they normally would (like, imminent death).
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Discharge is probably dependent on a bunch of "ifs" that aren't being communicated to the public (like, if his sats don't drop below x% over the next y hours, if his other vitals remain stable, etc.). Also, doctors consider the circumstances a patient is being discharged into when they make these decisions. There's a pretty complete medical unit in the White House itself.

Hopefully they can get Trump to pace himself as he recovers. Otherwise he'll end up back in trouble. This thing makes a real mess of hearts and lungs.
Our building manager tried to come back to soon from COVID. She wasn't contagious anymore but she wasn't over it either. The virus she shook off at home. The aftermath put her in the hospital for a couple days because her asthma got out of control. We know someone else who's a "long-hauler". Got the virus in April and hasn't been right since. And a friend of my sister's is now a cardiac cripple because of this thing. He was a marathon runner.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Could you comment about this, River?

'A big red flag': Trump receives steroid treatment for Covid-19

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

This whole thing stinks. There's no way you get to a place where you need dex in 2.5 days. He's been sick for at least a week. Either he was lying about getting tested every day, or he way lying about when he found out. Or his doctors are incompetent and giving him drugs he doesn't need.

I find all three eminently plausible.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is mind blowing.

Trump's photo op raises new questions about how seriously he takes the virus

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, it is, Voronwë!

https://www.facebook.com/DJTNotMyPresid ... 173545514/

Dex is given to prevent respiratory distress. It suppresses the immune system, so should NOT be given unless it is really needed. And if Trump is out joyriding, he DOES NOT need it!

It also gives you a burst of energy, which is another reason it's used by high altitude climbers who are suffering respiratory distress. This might account for why Trump was out joyriding today.

I think his doctor is being pressured into giving drugs that aren't necessary, and might cause harm. Steroids have severe side effects. I was on prednisone for the inflammation in my lungs caused by chemo, and it made my heartbeat go crazy!

Since the chemo screwed up my breathing, my oxygen saturation levels average between 90 and 94 at rest, and I am quite comfortable with that without supplemental oxygen. So, the doctors wouldn't be really worried about those saturation figures, though they would have put Trump on oxygen because they are below the normal range. The fact his saturation was dropping rapidly also would have been concerning.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

[quote="Voronwë the Faithful"]Could you comment about this, River?

'A big red flag': Trump receives steroid treatment for Covid-19/quote]
Either we aren't being told the truth about the President's actual condition or his doctors have left protocol behind. That's not a drug used lightly. It's part of the critical care protocol my family source shared with the rest of us last month.

As for the joyride that started and ended at Walter Reed...I'm glad they finally got him to wear a mask and I'm hoping the agents in the car with Trump were provided appropriate PPE.
Voronwë the Faithful

What would be appropriate PPE for a joyride that had zero necessity?

The latest word, according to the Wall Street Journal, is that he received a positive result on Thursday evening before making an appearance on Fox News in which he didn’t reveal those results (this was after his appearance at the fundraiser in New Jersey).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
Voronwë the Faithful

And more evidence that the crimes that are being committed aren't voter fraud, they are voter suppression. And it ain't being done by Democrats.

Republican Operatives Jacob Wohl And Jack Burkman Charged With Felonies In Voter Suppression Scheme
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Wohl and Burkman...aren't they the ones that tried to gin up a sex scandal involving Elizabeth Warren?

As for PPE...I'd go with what they use at my dentist's office: gowns, gloves, faceshields, and surgical masks over N95s. This is, of course, far above and beyond what LEOs of any type are usually issued. Did you know that COVID-19 is 2020's leading cause of death in police officers?
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't recall Elizabeth Warren being the target of one of their schemes, but one of the most famous ones tried to claim that Robert Mueller was guilty of sexual harassment. That did not go well. They also tried to go after Pete Buttigieg, Kamala Harris, Anthony Fauci, Ilhan Omar, and the Roger Stone jury.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Now they are admitting that Conley lied about the President's condition, in order to bolster his ego spirits:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-hou ... PBbLRSHH70
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcev ... daced62828
Notorious GOP operatives Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman, known for their roles in a slew of outrageous political schemes, were each charged with four felonies on Thursday by Michigan’s attorney general for allegedly orchestrating a large-scale robocall campaign aimed at suppressing the minority vote ahead of the 2020 election.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

I posted that exact same link last night (a couple of posts above yours).
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I posted that exact same link last night (a couple of posts above yours).
:doh: Hard to keep up. Sorry!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

It is. The news is coming fast and furious. The latest is that White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany tweeted today that she tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday morning.
Voronwë the Faithful

I post this with the caveat that I do not know whether or not it is true. If it is, I think it is quite significant.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10 ... ly-divided
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What’s significant about it?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

What's significant about the fact that the president's own son believes his father has lost his mind and that an intervention is warranted? (according to the article)