Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Vineyard (wine) would make more sense, but somehow I tend to think Hobbits, Dwarves, and those from Rohan probably would have had some sort of ale.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh, ale makes sense. It’s that, that can. And that script. And oh I don’t know…..it’s SO wrong.

Like, if you really want to make a “fellowship” IPA you don’t slap Mordor’s script on it!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Inanna wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:58 amLike, if you really want to make a “fellowship” IPA you don’t slap Mordor’s script on it!
Tolkien himself actually weighed in on a similar idea...
Letter 343 wrote:[...] a drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I of course have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash.
:P
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:rotfl:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Eldy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:26 am
Inanna wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:58 amLike, if you really want to make a “fellowship” IPA you don’t slap Mordor’s script on it!
Letter 343 wrote:[...] a drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I of course have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash.
Touché!

It does seem odd, to call it 'Fellowship' IPA yet have Mordor script on it. But I didn't design it so... can't blame me. As for beer, it's one of the oldest drinks humans have produced. The first chemically confirmed barley beer dates back to the 5th millennium BC (in Iran) and was recorded in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamian histories. The oldest evidence of wine is c. 6000 BC (in what is modern day Georgia).
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Eldy wrote:
I vaguely remembered that. Had forgotten the goblet part, but remembered the ashtray bit.

Now if they had put the prancing pony sigh on the bottle, and had a better color… I might have been interested.

Noone’s blaming you, Rose!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Inanna wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:23 amNoone’s blaming you, Rose!
This! Also, to be honest, I'm sorta inured to the use of the Ring inscription as a generic symbol of LOTR-ness. A couple of the Tolkien Discord servers I'm in use it as part of their icons, one of them in conjunctions with the JRRT monogram. :smilespin: Not a problem, of course, but it does sometimes make me stop and grin at the juxtaposition when I glance at it in the sidebar.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, I didn't seriously think anyone would blame me.. :D Although I won't be drinking the beer, I'll let you know what hubby thinks of it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've been tempted to try this a few times
thorin.jpg
thorin.jpg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ooh. Wine. That's more up my alley. :D

There used to be a Bag End Cellars in California. I'd love to get a bottle of that but I don't know that they are in business anymore.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.00.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.00.10 PM.png (391.81 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Both of those look really well designed! Unlike that can.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Photo of the actual can, for anyone interested. Hubby said it was good and had a hint of pineapple (which seems weird for a LotR flavored anything).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.21.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.21.07 PM.png (867.87 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The Hobbiton movie set, long a tourist attraction in Matamata, NZ, is now on Airbnb. There are currently no bookings available, but I'm assuming this (very cheap) limited run was just a trial in advance of a larger opening.

https://www.airbnb.com/hobbiton
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Eldy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:01 am The Hobbiton movie set, long a tourist attraction in Matamata, NZ, is now on Airbnb. There are currently no bookings available, but I'm assuming this (very cheap) limited run was just a trial in advance of a larger opening.

https://www.airbnb.com/hobbiton
I saw that a couple of days ago (and posted something in another thread). They look stunning! I wanna go back!!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Ah, my bad, I either missed or forgot about that!

I've wanted to visit the Hobbiton movie set ever since they rebuilt it for the Hobbit movies. It's unlikely I'll be in New Zealand at any point in the foreseeable future, but if I ever do, that'll definitely be on the list.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Eldy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:09 am Ah, my bad, I either missed or forgot about that!

I've wanted to visit the Hobbiton movie set ever since they rebuilt it for the Hobbit movies. It's unlikely I'll be in New Zealand at any point in the foreseeable future, but if I ever do, that'll definitely be on the list.
No worries! Great info to spread around!

I was fortunate enough to visit the Hobbiton set in 2019 and it was a dream come true. I never thought I'd make it there in a million years. One thing I would advise anyone going there is to not just take a day tour, but to sign up for the evening feast or some other special event. It's worth every penny.

Also, we knew they were building more hobbit holes when we were there (that we did not get to see) but I never dreamed they'd be available for rent.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The Royal Mint announced they will be issuing a Tolkien-themed commemorative £2 coin in 2023.

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/2 ... rr-tolkien

Tolkien passed away in 1973 although, 50 years later, the father of modern fantasy fiction still has a palpable influence on the genre. His trademark monogram, encircled by a runic pattern skilfully created by the artist David Lawrence (pictured below), will forever grace this commemorative UK £2 coin. ‘NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST’, a quote from the poem ‘The Riddle of Strider’, which features in Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring, serves as the coin’s edge inscription.

“JRR Tolkien’s monogram is an elegant creation: a mysterious symbol redolent of alchemical signs and magical scripts. It also had a certain gravitas. I quickly saw that this had to be central to the design. Something ring-like and circular was obviously needed to contain and frame the monogram.

“I created several roundels to contain the monogram. Eventually, these were whittled down to abstract shapes; versions containing tortuous intertwined serpents were interesting, but they were somehow distracting and lacked gravitas. I created the abstract shapes from scratch, choosing a couple of fonts that have a slightly quirky, magical look, whilst remaining fully legible.”

David Lawrence
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Nice! I had not seen that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh, lovely!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Dunno if this is the best thread for LOTR memes but I think we've had them here before. A friend shared this one on Discord and it made me giggle. :D