Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by narya »

Until COVID, I ushered at a regional arts center (music and theatre). I am not quite ready to go back yet, but an upcoming concert piqued my interest. Why have I never heard of Johan de Meij before?

Johan de Meij's Symphony No. 1:
The Lord of the Rings
I. Gandalf (The Wizard)
IV. Journey in the Dark
- The Mines of Moria
- The Bridge of Khazad-dûm
X. Hobbits

Concert info: https://www.ccwindsymphony.org/mar-2022.html

Numerous renditions are available on YouTube.

Meij info: https://web.archive.org/web/20071222124 ... ering.html
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have the MP3s somewhere.

I also have this, which was gifted to my on Vinyl by a friend

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Noice! Will check it out.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:19 pm
You can rent this $400/night.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I thought this was worth sharing:

For Rose:

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/thelordoftheringsmovies/photos/a.1521663431410438/3147124535530978/
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Clearly, this map was not made by someone from Jacksonville, Florida. :D
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't think the hobbits went anywhere as warm as florida. Even in Mordor they had on all of that wool clothing!

Nice map, thanks V!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Woelfle, anyone?

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

One does not simply walk into Waffhole. There is evil are drunk people there that do not sleep.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Alatar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 pm So, this is one for those who enjoy an Expanded Universe, or "fan fiction" if you prefer.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lord ... s-5e-books

These are all the source books for the LotR RPG, but as well as rules for playing the game there's a wealth of resources for, say, telling a story in Rivendell, or Erebor. Normally the way this works is that they just expand on Tolkiens writings without contradicting any of his published works, but I can't make any promises. Still, for a minimum donation of $15, its worth a read surely!
I have actually run a session or two of the 5th Edition LOTR stuff. It's very low magic and very different form normal 5th Ed D & D. Some of the books have stats for major characters, such as Elrond and the Witch-King. While they are level 20 they wouldn't, I think, trouble a 10th Level normal 5e party with access to the full panoply of magic.

There are a lot of extra rules to enhance the feel of the books, such as special rules for travel, and rules for falling into the Shadow.

The players were all TORCers and there were no complaints as to authenticity. I think it better captures M-E than MERP did (although I really liked MERP back in the day and still have several M-E modules). These books are set between The Hobbit and LOTR, rather than th eICE modules which were generally set just after the Plague, i.e. about TA 1640.
Heliona

Post by Heliona »

Aravar wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:16 pm
I have actually run a session or two of the 5th Edition LOTR stuff. It's very low magic and very different form normal 5th Ed D & D. Some of the books have stats for major characters, such as Elrond and the Witch-King. While they are level 20 they wouldn't, I think, trouble a 10th Level normal 5e party with access to the full panoply of magic.

There are a lot of extra rules to enhance the feel of the books, such as special rules for travel, and rules for falling into the Shadow.

The players were all TORCers and there were no complaints as to authenticity. I think it better captures M-E than MERP did (although I really liked MERP back in the day and still have several M-E modules). These books are set between The Hobbit and LOTR, rather than th eICE modules which were generally set just after the Plague, i.e. about TA 1640.
I was one of those players and I absolutely loved it. I think it helped that we were all very well-versed in the environment, I had a totally fangirl moment when Glorfindel turned up. I've never had anything like that playing normal D&D, I was completely immersed in the game and actually squealed and swooned. :D We really need to try to get back to Middle-earth at some point, Aravar, we've got some trolls and orcs to sort out!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

If there was to be a monthly One Ring RPG night over Roll 20 or a similar system, I could be easily convinced! Just sayin'...
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

We played this about three years ago. I'd love to play again, its just the difficulties of getting everyone together especially with other online D & D going on.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So hang on, this is not LOTRO, but a different mmorpg set in ME?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No, this is tabletop RPG, like D&D but played over Zoom or Discord or with dedicated software like DnD Beyond or Roll 20
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

No this is tabletop 5th Edition D & D set in Middle earth. However there is a site called Roll 20 which allows you to have a virtual tabletop.

The LOTR game was face to face with Heliona and some other Torcers.

Alatar beat me to it.
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

WOW! I wasn't expecting the end product! It's amazing what people can do.

On the other hand, for those of us with less ambition (talent, time, equipment, etc..) but want to partake in something (loosely) associated with Middle Earth, I give you:
brew.jpg
brew.jpg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
I'm not a beer drinker so I can't tell you what it's like.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I fail to see the connection between LOTR & that beer. And that color of the can. Can they use that imagery?
Voronwë the Faithful

It was apparently produced in conjunction with Warner Bros.
https://www.brewbound.com/news/brewdog- ... -the-rings