Music - Do old people get it?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Music - Do old people get it?

Post by Alatar »

Seems like for as long as I can remember each generation thinks they have a unique perspective on music that the older generations "just don't get". Why is this? Will yova suddenly lose the ability to hear the difference between good and bad music when he turns 30 like the rest of us apparently did?

Only joking yova, but the point is still worth discussing. Why does the latest generation always feel they have the monopoly on taste?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Be back to expand on this later (going to lunch), but I'll open with this point:

- you asked in the Manweista thread what our "desert island" CD would be. After much thought, I chose my Doors Best Of.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, dear.

The Doors.

Well, I thot we were as one, because of Garth Brooks.

But then you drag The Doors into it.

yovargas.

yovargas.

*tsk, tks*

Listen, kiddies, I was around when Elvis Presley flamed up out of nowhere. I remember the uproar. Burning records. Satan laughing as kids all over North America went Straight to Hell, dancin' that wicked Rock and Roll!!!!! :twisted:

And I remember every uproar since.

I like eminem, so he must be, like, out of fashion?

Jeez. Lord Byron was once hot stuff. Mothers wept to find their daughters reading "The Giaour". (Sp?)

Girls were ostracized for Waltzing.

Nothing new under the Sun.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alright, I'm back. The point of my first post here:

If you look at my Top 10 Songs thread, you'll notice that my choices span a very broad spectrum, I think hitting every decade from the 60s to the 00s (maybe even 50s with Ray Charles). This was not a purposeful decision, it was just what I thought were the best songs. I've seen similar lists from serious music fans of my generation and they usually do the same, recognizing great music from the sixties till today.

No look at the lists in that thread from the people here, who are mostly from an older generation. Almost nobody lists anybody after the 70s. A few people got as far as the 80s. You did pretty well in this regard, getting as far as 1993. But my point is, too much of the older generation seems to think music stopped being worthwhile after the 70s. So I don't think the relevant question is:
Why does the latest generation always feel they have the monopoly on taste?
It's, Why does the older generation always feel like new music is inferior to the music of their generation?
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, personally speaking I simply don't have the energy or time to sift through all the crap to find the gems. Going back to older music is easy, all the crap has already vanished into obscurity. Everything left is worthwhile in some fashion, so it becomes simply a matter of taste. Which of these classic 70's songs do I like?

For modern music its a lot harder to do that because you only know whats good enough to stand the test of time after it already has. Like I said, I simply have too much excellent music that I don't have time to listen to. I'm certainly not gonna waste my time sifting through the rubbish to find which ones will still be good in 2010-2020.

I already did that for the 80's.

You're welcome. ;)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:Well, personally speaking I simply don't have the energy or time to sift through all the crap to find the gems. Going back to older music is easy, all the crap has already vanished into obscurity. Everything left is worthwhile in some fashion, so it becomes simply a matter of taste. Which of these classic 70's songs do I like?

For modern music its a lot harder to do that because you only know whats good enough to stand the test of time after it already has. Like I said, I simply have too much excellent music that I don't have time to listen to. I'm certainly not gonna waste my time sifting through the rubbish to find which ones will still be good in 2010-2020.

I already did that for the 80's.

You're welcome. ;)
I feel much the same way, and not only about music, but books as well. I daresay I miss some gems, but I know I miss a lot of dreck, so I think I come out ahead.

But we are, none of us, immune from lapses in taste. I love The Captain and Tennielle (SP?)'s "Muskrat Love" and have not, so far, been smited by any Vengeful God of Music.

So far. 8)

However, I think I have a lot of credit with the Music God since I loathe both The Doors AND Jimi Hendrix and I know in the deep, deep, deep places of my heart that the Music God agrees. =:)
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Well, given that last post, Alatar, I don't think it's too hard to see why I wouldn't give much credit to your statement of:
Still one of the finest albums to come out of the US in years.
If you haven't been paying attention, you can't really say that!

ps - vison is wrong =:)
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm fairly laid back about what my kids watch and listen to- but it really seemed that my daughters seemed to experiment with different genres of music until they finally found something I wouldn't tolerate or let them listen to-- and THAT was the only thing they wanted to hear.

It's like they couldn't rest until they found something that separated their taste from mine. There are times I wish I'd figured out this sooner and objected sooner, before I had to put my foot down at the gangsta rap phase. :roll: My younger daughter was so bad about rap for a while that I'd make her show me the lyrics for any CDs before I'd let her buy one. There were evil ideas in them that I did not want pounded into her head by repetition!

My older daughter spent a long time in the heavy metal genre- but I think she's figured out that I kinda like Rammstein :D , and lately she's been playing weird techno bagpipe stuff when she comes home. And seems to like it. :roll:

My son couldn't care less about music. I wonder if that's common with INTJs?

Anyway, as a parent, I think that kids deliberately seek out that which is different than their parents' taste, just to help establish their independance.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Music certainly doesn't "mean" as much to me as it does to younger people. I think that's partly because we didn't even have a record player in my house as I was growing up and partly because I had/have my nose in a book all the time.

I listen to music in the car, and hardly anywhere else.

And, Maria? You nailed it. ;)
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

vison wrote:However, I think I have a lot of credit with the Music God since I loathe both The Doors AND Jimi Hendrix and I know in the deep, deep, deep places of my heart that the Music God agrees. =:)
vison, I like you. A lot. But whenever you say things like that it makes me go :rage: .

:kiss:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, Voronwë!!! :shock: You can growl at me all you want. :D

My husband growls at me all the time. He really, really likes Stevie Ray Vaughn, and I, personally, would rather be tied up by ropes and dipped in boiling oil than have to listen to SRV!!! My husband still gets a tear in his eye when he reflects on the fact that SRV is gone to the Great Gig in the sky. While certainly NOT celebrating the fact that the poor man is gone, I am not sorry that he's not making records any more..... =:)

One of my friends was lamenting that when he went to see The Stones in Vancouver recently, Bonnie Raitt was the opening act instead of Van Morrison. Now, see, I would personally crawl five miles on broken glass to get away from Van Morrison and would almost crawl those five miles on broken glass to see Bonnie Raitt.

Just to complete the list of perfidy I indulge in, music wise? I don't like U2!!! Oh, no. What a brute I am, to dislike Phono and the guyz. :)

*sigh*

My taste in music is like my taste in books: I like what I like, seldom knowing why, especially for music. I loved the Steve Miller band and Huey Newton. Michael Jackson ALWAYS creeped me out. ALWAYS, even when he was that cute little African-American boy. I love Buddy Guy and don't really love Robert Cray very much.

I loved ABBA. Still do.

There.

The rotten tomatoes are over there--------->start chucking. :P
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't hear new music except what my kids push at me, and so far I've always liked those songs just fine. But as for finding new music I like on my own, there's just no way I can. I can't bear to listen to commercial radio, even if they're playing music I love, because listening to radio commercials is like listening to fingernails on a blackboard (kids today won't know about that because schools don't have blackboards any more . . .). You can't mute the radio! :D

We have a public radio station that plays new music, but it tends toward either Celtic-flavored music or blues, which I have to be in the mood for, or else it's that noodly-noodly jazz I can't get into. :D

Short answer: Life is too short. :D I haven't heard everything Bach wrote yet.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

yovargas wrote:Well, given that last post, Alatar, I don't think it's too hard to see why I wouldn't give much credit to your statement of:
Still one of the finest albums to come out of the US in years.
If you haven't been paying attention, you can't really say that!
One of the finest is not a lightly made statement. Its an excellent album, extremely lyrical, well produced, well performed and well written. Its a breakout hit that introduced an entire generation and indeed an entire new continent to the quality that can and sometime does exist in the country genre, and it did that while remaining true to its roots.

What you're trying to say is that you don't like it. Not the same thing.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's not what I'm saying. I don't like it (probably; haven't actually heard it). What I'm saying is, if music journalists are doing the ol' Top 100 Albums of the 90s 20 years from now, I'm betting Garth Brooks won't be on that list.
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

However, I think I have a lot of credit with the Music God since I loathe both The Doors AND Jimi Hendrix and I know in the deep, deep, deep places of my heart that the Music God agrees.
:shock:

No he DOESN'T!!! How can anyone, anyone ever resist the voice of Jim Morrison. Even now, yeaarrrrrrrsss after I became besotted, his voice can make my knees go weeeaakkk. and stop everything am doing, and LISTEN.

ooohh...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I am still scratching my head at liking Buddy Guy and not liking Hendrix...but there are those who like Mozart and find Beethoven lacking. Different strokes and all.

PS--The connection betwen Guy and Hendrix is rather stronger than that between Mozart and Beethoven, musically. Just sayin'.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Yov, the "10 Best Songs" thread asked for just that: Songs. Some of my choices were from the previous century, not just the 1970's. For a great song is eternal and can survive the performance of a drunk professional or a sober amateur and retain its quality.

If I were asked to come up with 10 great recordings, my answer would be different and would include several from the current decade.

I'm one of the oldest around here and I buy new music all the time. A local community radio station with independent hosts helps guide me. KVMR (you can get it on-line streaming) has a show called the Avante Garage, where only music just released is played. I don't know most of the artists. There isn't much metal or thrash, but there is plenty of strangeness and some rap. And if I like it, I buy it.

My taste for classics has not waned. In the '60's, when it was very very uncool to embrace your parents music, I loved the Big Band stuff. My taste for novelty hasn't waned either. I'm always anxious to hear something new and exciting.

I've learned to appreciate RadioHead (which took some learning) and have most of their albums. I like Railroad Earth, a jam band, and you will too when you hear them.

But to answer your original question, Alatar: sure, some old people "get it" . . . if it's got something to it other than offence and noise. I won't claim to like some crap just cuz it's cool and new. You can't be more offensive or noisy than Frank Zappa, but he also had talent and songsmanship. Does the decade matter?
Last edited by baby tuckoo on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Fair enough, bt. Though, one the side, as I mentioned in the Best Song thread, I believe the best song ever might have been written yesterday. And if it was and if I heard it and if I recognized it as such, I don't think it should be penalized on the greatness scale because of its recentness.
-The Decemberists

baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Yov, I fall in love with the latest new song that I like too. It might survive my affection over time, it might not. Enthusiasm is a sprite of the moment, and it is a wonderful thing. May you and I never lose it. But time is a true test, and I turn and I look back and I see lots of time and I hear lots of music.

The chances are that the greatest song (a silly title) was not written yesterday, but in one of those many other days. Maybe tomorrow. I keep hoping.

In case anyone is interested, I'll be going to see Jonathan Richman tomorrow night in a small club in downtown Sac. He isn't "new", really, but he's never been mainstream, and there's no one quite like him. He's the guy who pops up and sings songs about the plot in "Something About Mary," a dreadful movie.

I love Jonathan.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The chances are that the greatest song (a silly title) was not written yesterday, but in one of those many other days.
Every great song was written on some yesterday. :)
-The Decemberists