Pride and Prejudice: Adaptations of Austen

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Pride and Prejudice: Adaptations of Austen

Post by Frelga »

Have you seen this series of captioned P&P gifs, detailing Darcy's struggles with anxiety? :D Dialog is canon, inner monologue is not. Warning for strong inner language.

Fitzwilliam Darcy's Inner Struggles
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I've just watched 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' and thought it was quite funny, with many affectionate nods to the A&E production. The proposal scene did not disappoint. Anyone who's felt some frustration with these sisters might find it viscerally satisfying.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I enjoy P&P&Z as well. The fight scenes were well done.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I thought it was rather decent, too. :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Just curious: did any of you who don't normally like Austen check out The Lizzie Bennett Diaries that were linked to earlier? What did you think?
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I watched the first half of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice film on TV last night. I appreciate what the film-makers were trying to achieve with an 'earthier' adaptation, but on the whole my reaction was the same as vison's and I was decidedly underwhelmed. It struck me as being humourless, more 'romantic' in the sense of the Brontes than the social satire of the book (someone on this thread, maybe Di, suggested that it came across as the Brontes' version of Pride and Prejudice, which I think is a fair comment). The leads were cast well, but I had no idea what was going on with Donald Sutherland's dark and brooding Mr Bennett (as fine an actor as he is), Wickham appeared as vapid rather than charming, and I found Mr Collins downright sinister.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just received the "Keepsake Edition" Blu-Ray of the 1996 miniseries, which represents the fourth commercial version I've owned. Better resolution, different aspect ratio, and an hour of extra extras. I look forward to my next re-viewing, especially since the same son and DIL also gave me a snazzy new Blu-Ray player to play it on (the old one didn't work reliably).

Incidentally, my son mentioned that the disc cost him $4, so it's out there for easy purchase.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thoughts on Bride and Prejudice anyone? I have to say I loved it!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's the one in which the Indian actress is? Yes?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I enjoyed it and have watched it a couple of times, actually. The whole Bollywood vibe is fun, imo.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I haven't seen it. That woman drives me up the wall.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I totally get that (not about her, specifically, but about certain actors/actresses).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't remember much of it, but I think I enjoyed it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It was great fun and a very clever modern twist on the story, although there were some bits when the actors were so self-aware it annoyed me.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:It was great fun and a very clever modern twist on the story, although there were some bits when the actors were so self-aware it annoyed me.
That sounds like Aishwarya Rai. :roll: Imp, didn't you see it just before I came to Melbourne? I remember M teasing me about Ms. Rai. ;)

I actually really liked the Keira Knightley version. I think I need to re-read the original P&P. With my new glasses on, so to speak.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna, you could be right! It was quite some time ago, though I didn't realise it was that long!

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This unfortunate WaPo headline is drawing fire from internet wits

Jane Austen was the master of the marriage plot. But she remained single

My favorites so far:

"You'd be surprised to hear how many mystery writers have never even committed *one* murder!"

"Was Mary Shelley actually a mad scientist who stitched dead people together to make tragic monsters??? We'll never know!"

"H.P. Lovecraft wrote about interdimentional beings of evil, yet ironically, he never became one of the Great Old Ones."

"Gabriel García Márquez was the master of magic realism and yet none of his sons were ever devoured by ants."

"Tolstoy wrote Anna Karenina. But he remained a man."

"JRR Tolkien never met a single Nazgûl."

"@MargaretAtwood writes about dystopian governments that damage the environment, oppress women and privilege the rich but she never lived during o—-oh wait. That one doesn’t work."

"Gene Roddenberry, by contrast, bested numerous lizard men in single combat."

Sometimes, I love Twitter.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Awesome. That article though is puke-worthy.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The link doesn’t work for me, on my phone anyway, but it sounds as if it’s not worth it anyway.

I think I always knew that about Gene Roddenberry, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King