TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by elengil »

I'm out of episodes. :bawl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Something new and pretty original. Shadow and Bone is based on a series of YA novels, but I'm told its been shifted in tone to a more adult feel. I haven't read the books so I can't speak to that, but it doesn't feel kiddie (although there are still the young protagonists you'd expect from a YA novel). Its refreshingly different though, with a Russian feel rather than the usual medieval England type setting. It also has that Jonathan Strange vibe by mixing magic with traditional weaponry. I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

YES T.V. is rerunning episodes of 'Call the Midwife' every weekday in the late afternoon. I can't tell you just how much I LOVE this series!! The acting is uniformly excellent, the characters seem so real, and great attention is taken to detail to make sure the stories and people accurately reflect the times and location (late 50's - early 60's in the east end of London.)

Keep a box of tissues handy if you are going to watch it. YMMV, but gosh, does it tug at my heart-strings!
One of the reasons I love it so much is what the nurses and nursing Sisters are doing is very close to the work I did as a visiting nurse (except I never delivered babies). The organization I worked for (St. Elizabeth) also started off with nuns doing the work, though they were from the Catholic church, not the Anglican.

Usually nurses have a hard time watching medical shows, because of the many inaccuracies we see on the screen. My only complaint about this one is that Dr. Turner is always just around the corner when the nurses need a doctor. That was sooo not the case when I was working in the community!
Last edited by Sunsilver on Fri May 14, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Okay so after that first series I find I'm absolutely enamored with these Chinese historical fantasy dramas. I have enjoyed quite a few of the movies in that vein, so I'm not really surprised, I'm more surprised I never realized how prolific Chinese productions were! I kinda fell victim to only noticing the ones big enough to get marketed in the US.

But the TV shows have really sucked me in!!

After finishing General's Lady, which was an absolutely adorable cute romance/drama, I've moved on to what appears to be a much more serious series called Nirvana in Fire.

(Still holding out hope for General's Lady season 2, though!)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I go to my TV with the full intention of watching something y'all are talking about, and end up with baseball, Chopped, and the dog shows. :help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Pretty much the same, Frelga. I do like Call the Midwife, though. I thought about Vikings, but I check the website doesthedogdie.com because I can't watch rape stuff (or animal torture and a few other things). Unfortunately, Vikings looked to be too much.

So I'm rewatching Modern Family or watching Drunk History.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Shadow and Bone on Netflix Lali!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Have you read the books, Al?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I've added Shadow and Bone to my list. Netflix doesn't seem to have Call the Midwife, though. At least not Canadian Netflix.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Inanna wrote:Have you read the books, Al?
Not yet. But loving the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My husband found some soulful European movie, watched it for 45 seconds, and then we landed on Masked Singer, and I am torn between hoping it will start making sense at some point and being terrified that it will.
:scarey:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've added Shadow and Bone to my Netflix list.

Before I get to it I still have to get through Le Bureau (highly recommend! Although there is ISIS-style torture and violence so maybe not, Lali, and if you're not French-speaking, subtitles) and Shtisel, and Star Trek Discovery (which I'm finding heavy going tbh) and Queen's Gambit.

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll check it out, Al! It keeps coming across my queue.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Have You read the books, Lali/Imp?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm behind on all the shows, but today I watched a bit of 1950s Superman series, with the middle aged, chubby George Reeves as Superman.

(I still think Dean Cain was the best looking Superman)

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I haven't, Inanna.

Frelga, I agree, though Henry Cavill is also devastatingly handsome.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Inanna »

Lalaith wrote:I haven't, Inanna.
Well, get to it then. The Shadow & Bone series - a prequel to six of crows - is quite YA. And a bit boring. All that YA angst and drama & brooding men. Jeez.

But Six of Crows is great. I’ve heard the TV series is mixing the two, but leaning more towards YA drama.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Lalaith wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:23 pm Frelga, I agree, though Henry Cavill is also devastatingly handsome.
No argument from me, but I am not sold on him as a straight up heroic type. He does best when he is slightly villainous as in Misison Impossible or slightly comical, as in Man from UNCLE.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Jude wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:17 pm I've added Shadow and Bone to my list. Netflix doesn't seem to have Call the Midwife, though. At least not Canadian Netflix.
Jude, when I first signed up for Netflix last year, it DID have Call the Midwife. But they are constantly juggling and changing things around.

I have Rogers cable, and the series is being broadcast on one of their channels. It's on the Toronto CBC channel. Previously I said it was on YES T.V. Must have confused it with Heartland, which I am also recording!

Edit: I cancelled Netflix a couple of months ago, because of the expense.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Fri May 28, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna wrote:Have You read the books, Lali/Imp?
Shadow and Bone? I didn't know it was a book adaptation. Should I look fir it?

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.