CAN'T LOG IN? Read this!

Greetings, and a guided tour for new members.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

CAN'T LOG IN? Read this!

Post by Primula Baggins »

Occasionally our host makes software changes or upgrades without notifying us. This may recently have happened again (the board running slowly is an indication), and we're concerned that some of our members may not be able to log in.

If this has happened to you, please try clearing your cookies, or at least those from The Hall of Fire. That should allow you to log in; if it doesn't, try clearing your cache as well. You may have to do this procedure more than once, but after that the problem seems to disappear.

If you need help, or if this suggested procedure doesn't work for you, please send an email to the marshals at hof_shirriffs@yahoo.com.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. The marshals aren't warned about these changes, so we can only respond after they happen.

—Primula Baggins, for the marshals
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Thanks :) That's what seems to have happened to my laptop. I thought it was its fault because my PC can still log in. Good to know its not my laptops fault :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For those who need to know:

To remove cookies in Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x:

• Run Internet Explorer
• Open the Tools menu.
• Select Internet Options to open the Dialog box.
• Click the "Delete Cookies" button.
In Internet Explorer even if you remove cookies manually, index.dat file stores Internet surfing information. This file can't be deleted manually as it is used by Windows all the time. In ClearAllHistory "Delete cookies" feature is combined with clearing the content of index.dat file.

To remove cookies in Mozilla Firefox:

• Open the Tools menu.
• Select OPtions.
• Select the Privacy to open sub-menu.
• Click the View cookies item.
• Select one or more cookies you want to remove and click "Remove Cookie". Clicking "Remove All Cookies" will remove all cookies.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thank you, Alatar!

To remove cookies in Safari:
  • Open the Safari menu.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Select the Security icon.
  • Click the "Show Cookies" button.
  • From the list that appears, select the cookies you want to remove and click "Remove." To remove all cookies, click "Remove All." Then click "Done."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

In Internet Explorer even if you remove cookies manually, index.dat file stores Internet surfing information. This file can't be deleted manually as it is used by Windows all the time. In ClearAllHistory "Delete cookies" feature is combined with clearing the content of index.dat file.
Interesting - I didn't know that. I noticed you can't delete the index, but logging in here after the cookie-change worked in spite of that.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Could someone post what hall of fire cookies look like in the cookie list? I got locked out here and have just wickedly deleted all my husband's cookies to get back in. He and my daughter are not going to be pleased, I'm guessing. But I couldn't spot the Hall of Fire cookies and became restless and impulsive and just wiped the whole slate clean.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Hehe, looks like I'm not the only one who likes to keep some cookies. :D
(But, really, it's no big deal losing the cookies, I think - they'll just have to log in on all sites that need a login. You could tell them that many people are so doubtful about cookies they hardly allow them, and if they do, delete them after each session.)

In my list it looks like this:
Cookie:user@thehalloffire.net/

It looked the same before, but I guess the info contained in the cookie is different now.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I had about four of them with slightly different names and deleted them all, but the names were so similar that they were right next to each other in the list.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Drogo Baggins

Post by Drogo Baggins »

And for the record, you don't have to delete All your cookies. If you do, all the places you log in will have to be redone. Just delete the HOF ones....