Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Nature Pics

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Happy New Year from Año Nuevo State Park

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Very cool place! Are the seals not there this time of year?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

They are, but only if you only see them if you do the tour.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is what it looked like in the fall when the males hung out on the beach and occasionally sparred to keep in training
IMG_20231213_145129.jpg
IMG_20231213_145129.jpg (409.86 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

And Happy New Year from Henry Cowell Redwood State Park. I'll have more photos when I get them resized.
Attachments
20240101_160621_50.jpg
20240101_160621_50.jpg (991.19 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

My very old friends 🧡.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

OK, here are a few pictures I took today from Henry Cowell Redwood State Park and Natural Bridges State Beach. The latter has a Monarch butterfly sanctuary.
Attachments
monarch3.jpg
monarch3.jpg (501.59 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
monarch2.jpg
monarch2.jpg (806.06 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
monarch1.jpg
monarch1.jpg (585.36 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

More friends....
Attachments
banana.jpg
banana.jpg (627.92 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
pelicans.jpg
pelicans.jpg (517.69 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
monarch4.jpg
monarch4.jpg (816.33 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

And the forest at dusk, and sea wrack (washed up seaweed).
Attachments
seawrack.jpg
seawrack.jpg (739.99 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
steam-rising.jpg
steam-rising.jpg (619.75 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
sunbeams.jpg
sunbeams.jpg (978.08 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Voronwë the Faithful

Good morning!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Once, back in the '70's I saw a monarch cluster hatch like that. It's pretty darn amazing. Back then we didn't carry cameras with us everywhere, and even so we may not have had film on hand so I have no photos, but amazing none-the-less.

Love the tree photos. It's hard to capture their majesty but you both took some lovely photos.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've been to the sanctuary, and it is an amazing site. But even here I can't walk around the block without being smacked in the face by one of those butterflies.
PXL_20231209_195847818.jpg
PXL_20231209_195847818.jpg (233.52 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's nice to see the monarchs somewhere. They are becoming rare here and that is a shame.
Voronwë the Faithful

We went a couple of years ago and the monarchs were almost completely gone. They were back in force when we went last year, and by all accounts (and certainly as shown by narya's photos) they are even more abundant this year, not only at Natural Bridges but also at Lighthouse Field (a couple of miles up the coast), where they had not previously been so prevalent.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Monarchs are pretty amazing. In February or March, the butterflies I just photographed will fly from coastal California to inland California sites, and find milkweed to lay eggs on. These eggs will hatch caterpillars, Generation 1, which will eat prodigiously, pupate into butterflies, then start to migrate north, living on nectar, and following the springtime. Their offspring, Gen 2, will continue the migration, following the warm weather, milkweed, and other flowers north, and Gen 3 will do the same. By late summer of this year, Gen 3 will make it to Washington State, and lay eggs. This fall, Gen 4 will hatch in Washington State, eat the last of the summer's milkweed, pupate into butterflies, and fly all the way south to coastal California by November, chasing the tail end of the warm weather and flowers as they head south. Gen 4 will stay in various protected frost-free location with winter-flowering plants, until next spring, then to start the 4-generation-in-one-year migration over again. The Monarchs east of the Rockies have a different migration path, overwintering in Mexico. They don't actually hibernate, they just cluster together at night, then when the temperature goes above 50*F, they scatter to forage for nectar. The bright orange ones in my pictures were the ones who were stretching and getting ready to fly off, as the temperature was just creeping up above 50*F.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

One of the issues is that even organic farms can and do use Bt (Bacillus Thuringiensis) which kill larva/caterpillars on crops. This often oversprays into ditch areas where milkweed grows killing much of the monarch larva/caterpillars. Monarchs used to be plentiful here in summer & fall but it's rare to see them now.

When our daughter was little every fall we would take one in & feed it, it would turn into a chrysalis then we'd wait about 10 days & watch it hatch.
Voronwë the Faithful

My favorite picture of Tol Eressëa (actually the Monterey peninsula across the Monterey Bay from Santa Cruz).
Attachments
tol eressea.jpg
tol eressea.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 762 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Lovely colors of the lonely isle over sea.

We're having a blizzard today. We had 6" of new snow a few days ago and toady we're getting another 7-12" with high winds. We'll see how it is by the end of the day. Can you spot the squirrels under the bird feeder?
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (127.26 KiB) Viewed 758 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (104.19 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh wonderful. I want a good solid snowfall!! So badly.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh really? Be careful what you wish for... :D