So You Think You Can Dance

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Cerin

So You Think You Can Dance

Post by Cerin »

I saw that Estel had mentioned this in another thread and wondered if other people were enjoying it, too.

I guess it qualifies as reality TV. It is apparently produced by the same people who produce American Idol, but I must say I find there is nothing phony or contrived about it (well, perhaps the cheesy audience hype). There is a panel of choreographers of various dance disciplines. They are clearly professional, knowledgeable and passionate about dance. They've auditioned thousands of young dancers and have chosen 10 men and 10 women.

What happened last year (and what I assume will happen this year) is that each week either the men or the women each pick a partner out of a hat (well, the name of a partner), and then one person from each pair picks two disciplines or dance styles out of the hat, and then the teams prepare those two dance routines to be judged by the panel. (It does involve voting by the viewing audience in combination with a ranking by the panel, and each week a man and a woman are sent packing.)

The thing that makes this so interesting is to see what will happen when a jazz dancer partners with a ballroom dancer or a lyrical dancer with a hip hop dancer, etc., and how a hip hop dancer will manage the Pasa Doble, and so on. And it's just alot of wonderful dancing. I've learned a great deal from the choreographers comments, and it gives a glimpse into the passionate world of dance, which I think is kind of a private world to those who live in it.

Too bad there's no longer a movie industry niche for acting dancers like Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire.

edit to remove question mark from thread title
Last edited by Cerin on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Oh we have that here too - except it's called Strictly Dance Fever - and I love it! :love:

Ours is slightly different in that the couples are picked according to how well the judges think that they will dance together and then they stay together all season - or until they get knocked out...

Our season has just finished, but if this one is just getting started then I might see if I can get a hold of it too :D

I've never wished that I could dance so much before seeing this programme. :)
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

I love this show. Watching it last year made a huge impression as to just what really good dancers can do. The most entertaining part is, indeed, watching people perform outside of what their training is in. The talent and skill, and simple awareness they have of every inch of their bodies and where even a finger should be positioned going from one move to another.... It's just fantastically impressive.

Alys, you might recognize the host for this years show - Cat Deeley.

I posted some links from last years show in the thread on b77 - hope no one minds if I copy/paste them here. Even if you don't watch the show, take a look at the links.

From last year -

Nick and Melody do Disco

Blake McGrath audition last year

Jamile and Destini do Hip-Hop

Melissa and Ryan do the mambo <-- Ryan is a hip hopper from a group called the SickStep Crew and never had any formal training in any kind of dance. You wouldn't know it from watching this :D

Edit:

Thought I would post a link to the auditions of the SickStep Crew from this year - these guys are really amazing.

Last edited by Estel on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Alys wrote:I've never wished that I could dance so much before seeing this programme. :)
Yes, that's exactly how I felt, Alys!

That's an interesting difference, about the dancers being paired together for the season. This way, a better dancer can consistently (by bad luck) be paired with a poorer dancer and suffer as a result. I'd say that's the one drawback, but it certainly makes it interesting as well. Then it was also nice to see a pair develop together, when they happened to pick each other a few weeks in a row.

Estel, that's exactly it -- fantastically impressive.

Thanks for those links!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

This is the only reality show where I've ever called in to vote. :D

I didn't realize it was on again now. It was really great last year.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*sigh*

Stanley Cup Playoffs (stupid Oilers losing another game to a team from Carolina for the luvva pete) and World Cup football . . . . not much chance of me wresting the remote from Mr. vison right now.

I could go downstairs and watch, I guess, but I never do. I wonder why that is? :scratch:

Cuz I don't really watch TV, I suppose. No books downstairs. :D
Dig deeper.
Alys

Post by Alys »

I watched the first episode of auditions for this last night and it was fantastic stuff! So much talent and enthusiasm. :D

And I see you have 'Nasty' Nigel as well as the lovely Cat Deeley (is it just me or is she getting a bit thin?) he was one of the original judges on our Pop Stars programme and was doing the Simon Cowell thing before he even thought of it. ;) I'd far rather a proper evaluation of a performer than the sacharine nonsense that Paula Abdul spouts in American Idol, maybe not quite so harsh as Simon/Nigel can be, but making sure that the contestants understand that 'working hard' and 'wanting it really badly' just aren't enough without talent.

Not that there's anything wrong with those two things btw, but they don't mean that you're entiltled to anything in the music business.
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

She is very very thin Alys. I've never seen any pics of her before she did this show, but Steve said his son was absolutely in love with her, so I kinda assume she was curvier before. I'm just glad they don't have the "I've had 20 plastic surgeries and don't even look human anymore" host that they had last year. ----> Linky. She was just scary. I actually had to close my eyes whenever she was on screen. It's sad to, because she was actually pretty before the surgeries --> Linky.

I pretty much ignore nigel much of the time, and listen to the other judges. On this show, as opposed to American Idol, the judges don't seem to be forced into a role as a judge, rather than doing true critiques.

As compared to last year, I am a bit disappointed in the audition stage. They do seem to be trying to show more of the so called funny auditions, as opposed to showing people who are really skilled, and the skilled people they are showing are all hip hoppers. Perhaps now that it is down to the final 20, the show will start matching how good it was last year.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

When does this show come on?

(Oh and Estel, only your last link worked for me. :()
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Fox, tomorrow 8-10pm (EST) and Thursday 9-10pm (EST)
It's about time.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Alys wrote:And I see you have 'Nasty' Nigel as well as the lovely Cat Deeley (is it just me or is she getting a bit thin?) he was one of the original judges on our Pop Stars programme and was doing the Simon Cowell thing before he even thought of it. I'd far rather a proper evaluation of a performer than the sacharine nonsense that Paula Abdul spouts in American Idol, maybe not quite so harsh as Simon/Nigel can be, but making sure that the contestants understand that 'working hard' and 'wanting it really badly' just aren't enough without talent.
I really enjoy Nigel. I think he's a bit of a softy underneath, which showed when he was scolding the dancers recently but you could see the corner of his mouth wanting to twitch in a smile -- you can tell he is fond of the young people and wishes them the best but is uncompromising about the dance (as he should be).

As for Paula, saccharine nonsense is a wonderful description! In fact, we muted Paula this season, we just couldn't take it (I think she was more incoherent this year than previous years).

Estel wrote:As compared to last year, I am a bit disappointed in the audition stage. They do seem to be trying to show more of the so called funny auditions, as opposed to showing people who are really skilled, and the skilled people they are showing are all hip hoppers. Perhaps now that it is down to the final 20, the show will start matching how good it was last year.
I'm hoping after trying it that they've realized people 'dancing' badly isn't as entertaining as people singing badly, and next year they will get back to interesting auditions with real dancers.

Does anyone else think the dancers themselves don't seem quite as promising as last year's batch?

And how about when you watch the performances -- do you always peg the excellent ones? I admit, sometimes I'm surprised either by a raving response for a performance I didn't realize was so good, or by a critical response for a performance I didn't realize was so bad.

eta: remember last year early on, when Melody (of the big smile) danced with that very young dancer with the big smile, and one of the choreographers called it 'dental dance'?

:rofl:
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Cerin, I think one of the reasons I actually kept on watching that show is that the people I enjoyed the most seemed to be the one the judges chose as well.

On that American Idol show, which I bothered to watch maybe twice during the first season, I found the response of the judges to be very irritating. Kelly Clarkson is one of the most ordinary and boring singers I've ever heard. I would never leave the radio tuned in to one of her songs much less buy her record ... and not just because I'm old :twisted: My daughters find her to be ho-hum, too. I guess one can fake being a pop singer, with all the bells and whistles that are on the recording panels today, but you really can't fake being a dancer.

I sometimes watch the Apollo theatre competitions after SNL and there's a lot more talent there than I've seen on American Idol.

Jn
Alys

Post by Alys »

Estel wrote:She is very very thin Alys. I've never seen any pics of her before she did this show, but Steve said his son was absolutely in love with her, so I kinda assume she was curvier before. I'm just glad they don't have the "I've had 20 plastic surgeries and don't even look human anymore" host that they had last year
Well she was never anything but slim, but not skinny as she seems to be now. She seems really nice though, like someone you'd happily go out for a drink with. The last host on the other hand...why do women do that to themselves? :(

I've watched the second episode now and the SickStep crew were on it and they were amazing! :shock: Almost more like gymnastics than dance, how on earth people get such control over their bodies is just beyond me.
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

I'm gonna have to watch what I say as you're a couple episodes behind us Alys. I almost made a spoilery comment :oops:

As for Cat - yeah, I like her. The contestants seem a lot more comfortable with her than then last host, that's for sure. I remember last year the host would try to hug dancers and commiserate with them, and they seemed so incredibly uncomfortable when she did that. Then there was her attempt at dancing, which basically involved wearing pretty much nothing, and gyrating her hips a lot :P

I've heard some comments on other websites complaining about Cat, but it's the same people who criticized everyone they could who was on the show last year, so I don't really pay attention.

Recording the show tonight so I can skip the commercials :) That's one thing they are doing differently this year though. Last year, there was two shows of dancing before anyone was knocked out - this year, only one show. Course, last year, by the time it got to the voting stage, everyone knew the final contestants pretty well from the audition stage, so they probably wanted to give the people who didn't have much screen time a chance. This year, we don't really know any of the contestants, so maybe they don't feel they need to do that :scratch:

Anyway, will wait on any comments until you've caught up Alys :) I'm recording the show for a friend who won't be able to watch it for two weeks anyway, so that should time it about right 8)
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

So Alys, you are watching, but are a couple of weeks behind but will be caught up in two weeks?

I also don't want to give things away; please let us know if we should be using spoiler warnings.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Not sure if spoilers are needed.

I was so disappointed in the format change that I couldn't concentrate on the dancing! (But I taped it, so will watch when feeling less disgruntled.)

It was such fun to see people with different partners, and then finally to realize who partnered especially well with each other.

Pfffffft.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Well, it's showing right now in Philly but it starts on the half hour and I missed the first five dancers. Everyone since then has been awful, in my opinion, and most of the judges don't seem to like any of them either.

The guy in the fifth couple (pasa doble) was OK, and I might call in for them, but I don't like to do it not having seen the first five.

Did anyone see the first five of the last ten couples? Were any of them any good?

Jn

eta: ohhhh, here we go. The ninth couple was perfect, and since all the judges have said they were the best so far, I take that 1-5 were pretty much like 6,7,8.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Just starting to watch my tape; I was so bummed about the change to the partnering arrangement that I didn't realize they'd changed the voting also! IIRC, last year it was the judges who picked the three bottom teams, and the audience determined who went home from those people. This year, the audience is voting first, and the judges determine who goes home. I guess they must have been quite unhappy about some of the results last year.

I can't help being struck by the contrast in the guys this year with quite a few nerdy (if I may) types ... and then there's Musa (I keep thinking Mufasa :D ). They really do suffer by comparison, if I may say.

It seems so limiting that each person gets to dance with only one other person. I would be such fun to see various pairings.
Last edited by Cerin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

I don't like it that people are with permanent partners this year. That was half the fun last season :(

On the other hand, I do like the new voting system. It sucked last season, when if one person out of a couple sucked and the other was brilliant, that meant that both would end up going. Now, with a bottom two couples, and the people from the couples doing solo acts to see if they stay or go.... it's more likely that bad people will go, and good people will stay.

Spoilery bit talking about the show -

As for the couples..... The girl from the very last couple was good - Natalie.

The very first couple were both good - that was the performance I enjoyed the most.

The problem with the couple that did the broadway routine, for me at least, was that the girl was so much more physically developed than the guy, and while the way they dressed her may have worked for Melody last year, it didn't flatter the girl this year. She looked like a drag queen. She also kept bending her legs and leaning forward when she didn't need to - I can only assume so that she was shorter than the guy? It make her look a bit awkward, and from what they showed of her audition, and the few parts of the show where she wasn't doing that, she is not an awkward girl.

As for Nicks encore performance - what the heck happened to him? His extensions were short, his line was off, and his leaps were low and jerky :scratch: If he were competing against himself, and how he danced in last years show, he would've lost. I would've thought that he would have improved in the meantime....

I don't have any favorites yet, though I do have a leaning towards the girl in the first couple. It's wonderful to see a girl who is, as she says, "a bit thicker than most dancers" and see that she can dance as well as, if not better than, some of the ultra skinny dancers there.

More from me later. I'll do a write up while watching my recording, and talk about each dance as I see it. :)
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I was actually relieved that they were doing it differently this year.

The guy who won last year really was the best of the final four. But remember the tall blonde girl who was the first of the final four to be eliminated? - she got the least audience votes, I guess - she was far and away better than the girl who remained, and I think they were really afraid that the girl who remained would end up winning and they would actually have to give her a contract.

The reason the blonde girl looked bad by comparison is that she drew the worst partner every single time. She carried every single partner she had, whereas the other girl drew the best guy three times and he made her look good.

I figured that this way the choreographers know who the better dancer is in the couple and can design to that person's strengths so the talented people aren't dragged down by a series of bad partners.

Although it might not matter at all. I only saw three dancers tonight who were even halfway decent. Those three were very, very good but the rest - pf.

Jn