So You Think You Can Dance

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Estel wrote:On the other hand, I do like the new voting system. It sucked last season, when if one person out of a couple sucked and the other was brilliant, that meant that both would end up going. Now, with a bottom two couples, and the people from the couples doing solo acts to see if they stay or go.... it's more likely that bad people will go, and good people will stay.
I think you're right; with the judges making the final determination based on skill (not popularity), even if more skilled dancers are less popular, the judges can at least insure that the right person (i.e., the one who danced the least well) will go home. You could still have lesser dancers staying and better ones going depending on the quirkiness of the audience vote, but it should be fairer overall.

I thought Nick was a bit lacklustre as well (though I couldn't have said why).

eta: cross-posted with Jn
Last edited by Cerin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Well, I'm feeling less disgruntled now; as people are eliminated, we'll see new partnerings. The only pairing I really don't like is Benjy and Donyell. Better to have put Heidi with Benjy and Donyell with Ryan maybe, although maybe there would have been a height problem there.

I also found Martha's musculature distracting in the Broadway number in contrast to her partner; she really did look more masculine than he did. Perhaps they can get his definition up to even that out.

I thought the Pasa Doble was beautifully choreographed; I would have loved to see that with two ballroomers performing it.

Poor Ashley and Ben. Neither one had ever partnered before; I thought the judges were awfully hard on Ashley, considering.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Please don't worry about spoilers on my behalf! We're at Angel's mum's just now and I'm not sure how much of this I'll be able to watch - given the weather is lovely and we have trips planned - and it'll be nearly a week before I'm home.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

We had a similar thing in our TV this year. It was called Dancing With Stars.

Here, the idea was that, only the judges were professionals of dance: dancers, choreographers, teachers, coaches. But, the contestants were all other kinds of celebrities: actors, singers, writers... you can imagine. And, the whole thing was followed very closely by the afternoon papers.

Guess if I bothered to watch it. :roll:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Jn, I missed your post earlier. Those were very good points about the judging change. Particularly this I hadn't thought of:
I figured that this way the choreographers know who the better dancer is in the couple and can design to that person's strengths so the talented people aren't dragged down by a series of bad partners.
Yes, I think they have really concentrated on ways to ensure that no one goes down because of a less skilled partner. In fact in the auditions there was one moment which made me wonder if they were going to do things differently, because Nigel came right out and told Musa, 'As the executive producer I can overrule all the other judges, and if you drag your partner down, I will kick you off the show.' I thought at the time, how can he do that when it's essentially a popularity contest? Well, now we know.

I must have a more plebian taste than you do, Jn, as the woman who continued on last year was actually my favorite. :D

As for the dances you missed, they were much better than the ones you saw (excepting the Broadway number). There was a saalsa that was very much like the last mambo, in that the guy was a pole (as one of the judges said) and the woman did all the dancing. But there was a hip hop routine, a contemporary dance and a 70s disco that the judges were very enthused about. Then there was a Pasa Doble with one of the Russian male ballroom dancers. He was excellent; his partner (a jazz dancer, so not used to partnering) did creditably, but you could see it was a bit beyond her.

edit

Rowanberry, our Dancing with the Stars is also very popular here, I think. In our case, though, the pairs of dancers are mixed, with one being a professional ballroom dancer and the other a celebrity.
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

We have that in the US as well Rowanberry - it's actually pretty fun :) Yet another show brought to the US by the Brits ;)

The couples -

I really actually enjoyed Benji and Donyelle doing hip hop together. He does look a bit like a little boy next to all her curviness, but you could tell that they really enjoyed dancing together. The connection between the two was fantastic. I did not expect Benji to be able to do hip hop, and to see him do it as well as he did was fantastic. The moves were dirty, as they should've been, and the two looked like they were having a great time doing it. I didn't much like the choreography, but that has nothing to do with how well they danced it. My favorite couple of the night.
Overall, it was fun and they did a surprisingly good job.

Ivan and Allison -doing salsa. They were interesting. Ivan looks like a sweet guy, but definitely resembles the pole they were saying he was dancing like. Allison is amazing, especially considering this is not her style of dance, and the fact that she's never partnered with anyone. Basically, Ivan ust had to let her do her thing and hope that she would carry him through. He looked very awkward, and half the time it looked like she was leading him. The moves were very awkward and stilted at times. She was one of the girls I most enjoyed watching. Him, I didn't even remember until I put the show on again this morning.
Overall, a good performance. Not great, but it was good.

Jason and Aleksandra doing contemporary - They surprised me, especially him. Being a hip hopper, I didn't expect him to do so well with contemporary. The only real problem I saw, was that he didn't know what to do with his hands. The majority of the time he had them in a sort of stiff chopping position, as you would see with someone doing a karate chop :P He was, however, graceful and not awkward moving for most of the dance - especially difficult during the more African Dance Style moves, which he did very very well. Alexandra tried, and did a passable job. I've got to admit, I expected more from her. She looked very tired at the end, the smile more pasted on than anything else, but she never lost grace, despite loosing energy. I spent more time watching him than her.
Overall, it wasn't a brilliant performance, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either.

Jamyz and Jessica doing disco - oi vey. She's having a very difficult time getting her posture a bit dirtier, and god help her with that hip shake. The only time she looked really comfotable was when he was carrying her. Her facial expressions were fantastic, however. James was very good. I didn't really notice him, yet they took up the whole stage - good sign of a good partner. He looked a bit awkward shaking his hips, but I only notice that on third watching, so it's not obvious.
Overall, it was just ok.

Stanislav and Erin doing the Pasa Doble - He was, of course, very good. Not as good as Artem, last year, but good. She was awkward, but my goodness did she ever get that ultra-curvered back posture down. That posture hurts if you have to hold it for any length of time, let alone dance with it. That right there made me appreciate her a lot. She also did quite well with her hands, which in this type of dance is very important. She didn't really get the sexyness factor down except when she was doing slower moves, and you could see her deliberately step into each move, rather than flowing into them. Him, again, didn't really notice him, yet he took up the whole stage. Very well done on his part.
Overall, it was between ok and good. He was good and she was ok :P

Dimitry and Joy doing hip-hop. They did every move without looking ridiculous doing it, but somehow you never forgot they were so very very formally trained. Compared to the first couple especially. Benji and Donyelle got the dirtyness factor down - these guys were just doing choreography. Doing it well, yes, but unfortunately, they were doing it clean. She got a bit more into it than him. Best part of the show was the very last move - that was great.
Overall - done perfectly, but with no soul.

Ryan and Heidi doing the Viennese Waltz. He's a ballet dancer with those hands? With those hands?! :shock: :scratch: She had better hands than him, and she hasn't been trained in ballet. I know I'm thinking to much about it, but it was the most obvious symptom of his line being completely off for almost the whole dance. His butt was sticking out, his lower half was falling behind his upper half, he was throwing himself into moves that should've been flowed into because he was falling behind, but then he would lose his line again and fall even more behind and lose even more grace. The only time he looked good was when he was standing still. It was terrible. If they hadn't said he was a ballet dancer, I would never have believed it.
She was fantastic, if you could notice it with his bumbling around the stage. Every line on her was perfect, her hands were gorgeous - she was probably one of the best female dancers of the night. I feel very sorry for her right now.
Overall, it was a trainwreck. He looked that much worse for her looking so graceful.

Ben and Ashlee doing 80's disco. Considering she's never partnered or had formal training, she did ok. She did look, however, like a little kid who learned some choreography. Very good for never having any formal training, but compared to the other female dancers, she can't even begin to compare. Ben was great. He definitely knows what he's doing with his body, at least when he's dancing on his own. Though, he has no idea what he's doing with that hair :roll:
Overall - definitely one of the worst shows of the night.

Travis and Martha doing broadway. Ok, these two were definitely the best dancers of the show, hands down. I just can't get over how awkward they looked together. It was completely due to the costuming as well, cause they didn't look like that in rehearsals.
Overall, best dancing of the night, but it was so difficult to get past her drag-queen costuming to see it.

Musa and Natalie doing mambo. She was just plain fun. She looks so much like Brittany Murphy it's almost scary. Holy crap can she move though. She still was leading him however - don't think she ever got over that. When he actually did any dancing, he did look good, but much of the dance had him standing in one place. The choreographer was at fault there, for not having enough confidence in Musa to do more.
Overall, they had so much fun and the dance was so sexy, I can't really place it in tonights shows. I'm sure there were other dancers who were much better, but these two make me forget all about any couple other than Donyelle and Benji, and Travis and Martha.

So, who do I think should go home?

From the guys, either Ivan or Ryan. Probably Ryan.

From the girls, Erin or Ashlee. Probably Ashlee.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It's fun to read your comments from a more trained eye, Estel.

I also thought Heidi was marvelous, and I noticed her hands as well.

I'm afraid Benjy just annoys me, even though he dances well. Maybe if he learns to tone down the facial expressions I can appreciate him more. But I think it is really a serious problem this year with these male dancers of slighter, less developed physique. Donyell needs a man of more substance to dance with, but these two are likely to stay around quite awhile. I wonder if they could have put her with Dmitri and Joy with Benji, or if Joy is too tall for Benji. Or Donyell could have had Musa and Natalie, Dmitri.

I think Ashlee and Ben will probably get the least votes, and if that's the case, I think they will probably both go home. And yes, someone needs to strap Ben down and do something with his hair.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Cerin wrote:It's fun to read your comments from a more trained eye, Estel.
I refute the allegation!! I'm barely potty-trained as it is.
It's about time.
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

Lidless wrote:
Cerin wrote:It's fun to read your comments from a more trained eye, Estel.
I refute the allegation!! I'm barely potty-trained as it is.
He's better trained than he pretends - it's when he's not under my direct supervision that things start going badly ;)

Cerin wrote:I'm afraid Benjy just annoys me, even though he dances well. Maybe if he learns to tone down the facial expressions I can appreciate him more.
Yeah, his facial expressions can be pretty scary. Natalie was almost as bad, but somehow she can pull it off where he can't.

Cerin wrote:But I think it is really a serious problem this year with these male dancers of slighter, less developed physique. Donyell needs a man of more substance to dance with, but these two are likely to stay around quite awhile. I wonder if they could have put her with Dmitri and Joy with Benji, or if Joy is too tall for Benji. Or Donyell could have had Musa and Natalie, Dmitri.
Yeah, Donyelle would look better with someone else, and she'll have a horrible time doing lifts with Benji.

I think better pairings would be:

Donyelle and Jamyz - more matching in size, and their styles would compliment each other.

Travis and Allison - again, more matching in size, and I think they would look good together.

Musa and Joy - These two seem to get the same joy out of what they are doing, and I think they would bounce off each other well. Oh, and matching in size ;)

Martha and Dimitry - Next to his tall manliness :drool: she probably would look more like the woman she is, and less like a drag queen. That, and I think he could actually lift her, which I don't think Travis could do

Jason and Natalie - We'd get the dental twins again with these two, however, her sexyness would make up for his.... well, innocence. That, and the size difference means he could throw her around in some really cool moves

Aleksandra and Stanislov - With both of them having those really intense eyes and strong facial structures, they would just look good together. That, and his ballroom training, along with her modern training - she brings the grace and he brings the strength.

Benji and Jessica - Next to him, her correct posture could be softened, and she needs a good relaxed partner to get her through the more formal couples dances, as well as any hip hop. Maybe he can learn how to do facial expressions from her

Ben and Heidi - She's small enough he could actually possibly lift her, plus, because of her ballroom training, she could definitely make him look better with that type of dance. They would look magnificent doing lyrical together, and horrible doing hip hop

Ryan and Ashlee - She would be dependent on him for grace, so he would have to step it up. He would be dependent on her for informal fun, so she would back him up there. They're both weak, but in opposite ways, so the others weakness could cause the other to strengthen in other ways. Really, I put them together cause they're both weak outside of their areas

Ivan and Erin - He needs some personality and someone with a smaller stature. She needs someone who will back her up when it comes to hip hop style dance. They're both not that good, but he's better than Ryan and she's better than Ashlee, so I put them together :P

The better dancers I basically put together based on stature. The rest, I tried to find a partner with strength in areas where they were weak. The last two couples I put together cause they were what was left over :blackeye:
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

I'll rephrase. I refute the allegation , so long as it's OK by Estel to do so.

I have to say, watching SYTYCD with Estel is one of the joys of being in a relationship with someone where there in not an overlap of interests. She is not so interested in math, bridge, movies and the like, I have not much interest in opera, dancing etc. In other words, culture.

Yet I watch this program with her. Why? Not because of old-fashioned support for my better-half, but because it is fascinating to watch her reaction to it all and the reasons behind it. When I see a couple dancing I think, "Yeah, OK, not bad," or, "There seemed to be no connection between them," yet I cannot explain or expound on the feeling. It is when Estel explains about the 'lines not being right' or the 'woman leading the man' do I understand my gut feel. Sometimes it flies over my head like a hairdressers' scissors would, sometimes it registers - but it is always intriguing and enjoyable to see the passion she has for it.

Not that my gut feel is entirely correct. On many an occasion I have said after a performance that I enjoyed it, which is followed by an explanation by her of why she mentally cringed during it.
It's about time.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Here are the couples I'd like to see. We're together on two of them, Estel. Of course, I don't have any good rationalizations for my choices. :P (And my last three couples were the leftovers.)

Alyson and Travis

Martha and Dmitri

Erin and Benji

Donyell and Jason

Heidi and James

Natalie and Stanislav

Aleksandra and Musa

Joy and Ivan

Ashlee and Ryan

Jessica and Ben
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

Completely the wrong people kicked off. The only couple that was in the bottom three that deserved to be there was Ivan and Allison. Ivan sucked, and I don't believe he'll get better in an area outside of hip hop. Stanislav was better and more versatile than him by far. Silly choice of men to go, and silly voting by the public that put them in the bottom three.

I figured that Erin would be gone when I saw what the bottom three were, even though she and her partner did not deserve to be in the bottom three. I was also looking forward to seeing a new couple formed, but they got rid of one couple altogether, so that's not going to happen :(

Ryan and Heidi and Ben and Ashlee should've been the other couples in the bottom three other than Ivan and Allison. Ryan and Ashlee should've been the people to go.

Very disappointing.

Oh, and horrible perfomance by Nelly Furtado. Is that seriously the number one song on the charts right now? Makes me glad I don't listen to the radio.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

That pretty much sums up my feelings, too, Estel.

I really didn't think Ben and Ashlee would be safe; there is something unappealing about Jaymz's personality, though, and apparently alot of other people felt that way, too. I was sorry to see Stanislav go, I would have liked to see him dance some other styles.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I wasn't able to watch tonight. :(

Were the solo performances any good? All these dancers except for one or two strike me as so mediocre.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I thought there wasn't much to two of the male solos (Ivan and Stanislav), but I thought James did well.

Of the three women, I thought Erin's solo was the least impressive. I was distracted by Jessica's big white underpants. What do they usually wear underneath? I don't recall every being distracted by what someone was wearing underneath before.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

The "dance-off" was just twenty seconds for each of the six dancers (in a one-hour show :shock: ). methinks it was for the audience - the judges had already made up their minds before then.

Though I wonder what Americans think of Cat Deeley. She's been in the UK as a presenter for years, but this was the first time I've seen her. As Estel pointed out, people don't seem to mind her touching them or their being close to her. She certainly knows how to work the crowd, and genuinely seems to like the contestants.

A far cry from Ms. Plastic of the last season.
It's about time.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Can I just say that I like Cat Deeley.

I've liked her ever since she interviewed the four hobbit-actors on SMTV in December 2001. They were all Total Charm Offensive and Cat was smitten. She praised FOTR to the skies :love: and was totally, totally smitten with the hobbit-lads.

And Dom flirted with her and yanked down his jeans to show off his tatoo.

Ah, sweet memories. :D

That's why I like Cat Deeley. She's pretty and she obviously has good taste. :D

OK, enough osgiliating. (Will that become an official dictionary entry one day, one wonders? :D)

My sister was hooked on Strictly Dance Fever, which ended a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I totally understand why. People work so HARD, and you so much want the talented ones to succeed.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Alys

Post by Alys »

Hello Di! :D :wave: Long time no see ;)
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Lots of enjoyable dances last night, I thought. The foxtrot, cha cha and contemporary dance were my favorites.

Since someone has to leave, I guess my choice would be Joy and Ivan. That would put Allyson with Dmitri, not the greatest sounding pairing. If Aleksandra left, Allyson could go with Jason. I wonder if the potential pair adjustments will affect the judges choices?

I was pretty much won over to the pair for the duration concept, and to the pairings the judges decided on; I thought everyone was looking very good together. And I've gotten over my annoyance with Benji.

And what's with judge/choreographer Mary and that ballroom dancer from last year? I would have thought she was a bit old for him.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Been meaning to mention that I caught the "Too Much Booty" dance at a friends house and absolutely LOVED them. Phenomenal choreography pulled off with tremendous style and charisma. And have had that stupid song stuck in my head since. :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists