Elon's Twitter

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Elon's Twitter

Post by Frelga »

Yes, but given by whom to whom?

I haven't checked out Mastodon and it sounds more complicated than what I want to deal with, but I like the founder's style.
20221118_093624.jpg
20221118_093624.jpg (130.32 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I think this analysis of what happened is probably correct: Elon Musk is the high tech billionaire version of your crazy uncle who watches too much Fox News and starts believing the right-wing bubble view of the world. We saw a stuffier but similarly alarming version of what happens when this kind of person gets power when William Barr became Attorney General and worked to undermine Robert Mueller's investigation. In this case, Musk seriously believed that Twitter was a dangerous purveyor of "woke" ideology, and he believed he could fix that (supposed) problem.

Ironically, Republicans used to complain that Musk was the undeserving recipient of liberal government funding:

Mitt Romney said much the same thing during his 2012 presidential campaign.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:53 pmElon Musk is the high tech billionaire version of your crazy uncle who watches too much Fox News and starts believing the right-wing bubble view of the world.
The latest iteration of that particular meltdown, you mean. Putin, Trump, Musk, Bankman-Fried... democracy was invented in no small part to protect decent people from superwealthy narcissists with zero awareness of their own limitations, but it isn't working as well as it used to.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Arguably, democracy was invented to give power to rich people regardless of aristocratic birth.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The forever creative, one and only Angbasil has come up with a new Twitter logo, which he posted on his FB page:
If you don't recognize it:
Hidden text.
It's a dodo bird
Attachments
New Twitter Logo Angbasil.jpg
New Twitter Logo Angbasil.jpg (4.18 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:53 pm I think this analysis of what happened is probably correct: Elon Musk is the high tech billionaire version of your crazy uncle who watches too much Fox News and starts believing the right-wing bubble view of the world. We saw a stuffier but similarly alarming version of what happens when this kind of person gets power when William Barr became Attorney General and worked to undermine Robert Mueller's investigation. In this case, Musk seriously believed that Twitter was a dangerous purveyor of "woke" ideology, and he believed he could fix that (supposed) problem.
If you dig deep enough into that discussion, you'll note that in communications which came to light during the court maneuverings around Musk's efforts to either back out of the deal or at least pay less for Twitter than he had agreed to (and indeed ended up paying), there are text messages he exchanged with his ex-wife in March regarding their shared frustration with Twitter's supposed "puritanical" streak, in one of which she wrote to him, "Can you buy Twitter and then delete it, please". I don't think that was his intention in making the purchase! But depending on how well the company manages the next few days with just 10% of the workforce it had three weeks ago, there's a real chance of that being the outcome.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

And then there's this take:
TwitterCzar.png
TwitterCzar.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

twitter.jpg
twitter.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

That's hilarious, elengil! :rofl:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is a thread-as-text of some of the scenarios that could happen to a large global platform. Anything from a hard drive randomly filling up to someone using the platform to perpetrate horrible crimes.

All reasons that could bring a post-layoff Twitter down, but also why no one's going to build a replacement in a hurry.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1593 ... 78592.html

Meanwhile, WSJ reports that Elon ordered "everyone who codes" back to the office by 2pm today.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Trump is tweeting again.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ARGH.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[sigh]
Attachments
trump tweets no more.jpg
trump tweets no more.jpg (50.57 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Having had briefly tanked Elly Lily and Lockheed Martin stocks by exploiting the paid verification, Twitter trolls moved on to posting full length Hollywood movies in 2 minute increments. The question is, how badly is the content moderation gutted and is anyone around to respond to the takedown notices.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:12 am Trump is tweeting again.
He has been unbanned, but he says he is not going to return. It remains to be seen how long that will last.

Trump Cites Twitter ‘Problems,’ Says He’ll Stick to Own Platform
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Did you mean "unbanned"? :P
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yes, I misspoke (mistyped?). Musk lifted his ban but he hasn't yet shown up.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Jude wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:59 pm Did you mean "unbanned"? :P
I edited it before I saw your post, though I kind of liked the original.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Yeah, I wondered about that...
Voronwë the Faithful

For the record, I change an "m" to a "b".