Rings of Power Reviews

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Sunsilver

Re: Rings of Power Reviews

Post by Sunsilver »

I don't have access to Amazon Prime on my TV, so if I do sign up for it, I will have to watch it on my computer. :( And given that I just paid $20 per month to signed up for Crave TV with Roger's so I can get Dance of the Dragons, I'm rather reluctant to do it.

Maybe I'll wait until the end of the first season, and binge it...

Edit: okay, I DO have access to Amazon Prime on my TV. Still debating whether to sign up for it, though. I am facing some pretty major expenses ATM, and my monthly bill for Rogers is one of my biggest monthly expenses.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:09 pm Irish review

https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-reviews/ ... ew-539101/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alatar, the Irish Times has a much less flattering review: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-r ... 2PbylhAPJY

Wondering what your thoughts are on this. Are they being too sensitive? To me, it sounds like they have some valid complaints.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

SMH. At NPR.
The Rings Of Power," borrowing and learning from the final seasons of "Game Of Thrones," hands the narrative over largely to its female characters - a welcome change. The elf who is hunting the realm's biggest source of evil is a woman warrior named Galadriel. When she returns from a quest, her lover Elrond wants to reconnect, but she's interested only in getting the king to replenish her army. Morfydd Clark plays the warrior elf, and Robert Aramayo plays Elrond.
Rings of Power' and 'House of the Dragon' are giant gambles. Will they pay off?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sunsilver wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:53 pm Alatar, the Irish Times has a much less flattering review: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-r ... 2PbylhAPJY

Wondering what your thoughts are on this. Are they being too sensitive? To me, it sounds like they have some valid complaints.
If the accents are that bad, is it possible that they aren't meant to be Irish accents at all? I don't really have an ear for that sort of thing, so I didn't know they were Irish accents in the first place. If so, does that mean it's OK for me not to be offended by supposed Irish stereotypes? (Reading further into the piece, I see it does say the dialect coach, an Australian, says those characters' dialect is built on an "Irish base." I think the problem is that there is no way to create an accent that doesn't sound like something in the real world.)

When Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven was released in 1992, one critic complained that it was unrealistic that no one ever commented on Morgan Freeman's race: there was no way, said the critic, that a Black man wouldn't have been subject to some prejudices in the Old West. I mentioned this complaint at a family gathering and got some unexpected pushback: wasn't it racist for the critic to assume that Morgan Freeman's character was Black just because the actor playing him was Black? I've never been able to come up with an answer to that.

As for livestock in a living room, I once knew a man who had worked (in the 1970s-1990s) for a utility company in the remoter parts of Maine, and he described exactly that to me: a house in which a cow and other barnyard animals were allowed inside, and the walls were covered in filth.

Anyway, the article sucks because it uses "dwarfs" rather than "dwarves." Also the writer unfortunately writes this about Tolkien's borrowings from Celtic mythology: "The parallels between the Irish mythological figure Balor of the Evil Eye and Sauron, the flaming-red iris of Barad-dûr, are similarly obvious." Ed Power: you're commenting on the book by citing something that comes from the movie.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Apparently Michael Drout has commented on the series in the New York Times? That "guest column" is hidden behind a payroll for me but was one of three articles linked by David Bratman, who indicates that they are in accord his opinion that the series thus far is lovely but not only far removed from Tolkien but also "dull and mundane" and that too many of the series' characters are "either a righteous monomaniac or else a conniving skeever. There's no morals, only the cheap imitation politics of bad fiction. It doesn't feel at all Tolkienian."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Isn’t it too early to comment on the characters? I mean, we just met them!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

But we've known some of them for 50 years.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Saw the first one, liked it a lot. So did my son, which was a hit surprising. He's not that kind of nerd, usually. Husband complained about acting, but also had fun watching.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Stranger Wings

Rings of Power Reviews

Post by Stranger Wings »

I was a purist who was deeply disappointed in PJ’s interpretation of Tolkien across both trilogies, and I absolutely love this show so far. Particularly the first episode. There’s a lyricism to it that feels much more Tolkienian than PJ’s ham-handed melodrama. These showrunners definitely lean poetry over prose, and I’m here for it. And the “Path of Heroes” scene at night, with…the lights in the sky (I won’t say anymore to avoid spoilers). The most beautiful visual interpretation of something Tolkien I’ve yet seen, apart from his own drawings. Like the brain of William Morris made manifest, which JRR would likely have approved of. And the wild thing is that it’s essentially all invented material at this point. Yet the tone is just right. The Meteor Man material, for example, feels peak Professor, and he never wrote anything of the kind (apart from the Man in the Moon song). Which fits my approach as more of a tone purist then a literal one. There is certainly a more bookish or literary quality to the show than there was in PJ’s action-adventure romp. These are creative people who have thought deeply about myth, language, literature and anthropology. Just dig into the language and customs for a moment, and it’s clear that these are world-builders, not just entertaining makers. Very encouraged. And we haven’t even seen Númenor yet!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Last edited by Stranger Wings on Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Frelga wrote:Saw the first one, liked it a lot. So did my son, which was a hit surprising. He's not that kind of nerd, usually. Husband complained about acting, but also had fun watching.
The acting was incredible across the board. Who did he complain about?

Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

There’s no choice when one is the Daily Mail.

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I watched the first two episodes (Amazon surprisingly gave me another free trial which is nice). I feel very differently about this show from Stranger Wings...my impressions are mixed but certainly leaning negative, both as Tolkien and on its own merits as TV.

Fundamentally I think the possibly-fatal flaw is that both hyper-compressing and hyper-elongating the Second Age at the same time simply does not work. They can only use the limited Second Age material described in LotR proper (perhaps with limited allowances for things like namedrops and echoing references from the broader legendarium), then you pack it all into a few years and stretch it out into five 8-hour seasons. This harms it not only as a Tolkien adaptation, but as a story in general. The critiques that it is too slow get at this even if the reviewer doesn't know it...it feels very "thin and stretched" without much of a trajectory, like toast with insufficient condiments as the saying goes. ;) The prologue has some nice easter eggs for fans but is such an ultra-truncated summary of the First Age that it feels rather weightless and unimportant. (I did like that super-stylized big red camera shot though).

I dislike the meteor man story about as much as I expected, which is too bad cause I generally like the Harfoots as characters. I though Khazad-dûm was the highlight of the first two eps, disappointed when they cut away even.

Might put more detail later. I expect Númenor to make or break this show...my intuitions about how it'll be handled aren't good but we'll see.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks for your thoughts, k_z. I guess I should look into a free trial!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Yeah, if you go for that and want to be extra sure you don't give Amazon money might be best to wait until the first season is over or has a few episodes left.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The free trial length for Prime is 30 days, and ROP episode eight (the season finale) will air on October 14, so people who want to avoid giving Amazon money could potentially sign up in a week and a half and join us for episode four onwards. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Neil Gaiman is on a rampage.
Screenshot_20220906-064724.jpg
Screenshot_20220906-064724.jpg (83 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Elon Musk not liking it is a strong vote in its favor.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

New York Times Pitchbot is also on rampage.
Times have been tough in this dwarf town ever since the woke mob shut down the old silver mine. So when Sauron promised everyone new Mithril coats of linked rings of mail, they finally had something to cheer about. But then the Black Hobbits came.
We wanted to understand why Critical Race Theory was being taught in Middle Earth schools. So we talked to three Orcs at a Panera Bread in Mordor.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And now twidiots are replying to Gaiman's tweet I screenshotted saying that he should have gone to Musk for advice on his (Gaiman's) LotR adaptation.

:nono:

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Imagine thinking Elon Musk should be a tastemaker in anything. :rofl: