Círdan in Season 2

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Stranger Wings

Círdan in Season 2

Post by Stranger Wings »

And there was much rejoicing. Especially by Voronwë.

Exclusive: This Fan-Favorite Character Is Joining the Second Season of The Rings of Power

ETA: If that link doesn’t work for you (odd, as it works when not linking to it from here), this is the Reddit thread covering the TIME article.

Last edited by Stranger Wings on Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Círdan in Season 2

Post by elengil »

Link does not appear to be working.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The link is another causality of the word replacements, this time of the name Círdan.

Here's a replacement "tiny link") which I'll also edit into the first post: https://slgi.nl/Pv06tE7b

And yes, much rejoicing!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Of all the things to finally suck me into Reddit after all these years! I couldn't stand by and not comment on that depiction of sails doing a broad reach downwind while the tell tails indicated an up wind tack. Yeesh!

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Apparently the showrunners addressed it and said they had a team of sailing experts work out the rigging within the design they wanted. Said it would be very complicated to sail them, but doable. Anyway, they look wonderful and I personally don't care if they would work or not! :)
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

When I first looked at a smaller picture, I couldn't see much detail. I thought the prow was to the left. Now that I have taken a closer look, I see that the ships are sailing away from us, towards the back right of the photo, so perhaps the sails and tell tails are correct for that. In fact, there appear to be some jibs and stays'ls that could be used for tacking upwind if they didn't have the main sails up. I'm no sailing expert, but I have been sailing for 60 years. It will be interesting to see these in motion.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

narya wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:42 am When I first looked at a smaller picture, I couldn't see much detail. I thought the prow was to the left. Now that I have taken a closer look, I see that the ships are sailing away from us, towards the back right of the photo, so perhaps the sails and tell tails are correct for that. In fact, there appear to be some jibs and stays'ls that could be used for tacking upwind if they didn't have the main sails up. I'm no sailing expert, but I have been sailing for 60 years. It will be interesting to see these in motion.
I’d say sailing for 60 years makes you a sailing expert. :)