Trump Charged With 37 counts of Espionage, Obstruction and related crimes

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Trump Espionage and Obstruction Investigation

Post by RoseMorninStar »

From Sept. 2 Barr Dismisses Trump’s Request for a Special Master
WASHINGTON — Former Attorney General William P. Barr dismissed former President Donald J. Trump’s call for an independent review of materials seized from his Florida home on Friday — and said an inventory of items recovered in the search last month seemed to support the Justice Department’s claim that it was needed to safeguard national security.

“As more information comes out, the actions of the department look more understandable,” Mr. Barr told The New York Times in a phone interview, speaking of the decision by the current attorney general, Merrick B. Garland, to seek a search warrant of the complex at Mar-a-Lago.

“It seems to me they were driven by concern about highly sensitive information being strewn all over a country club, and it was taking them almost two years to get it back,” said Mr. Barr, who resigned in December 2020, as Mr. Trump pushed him to support false claims that the election had been stolen.

“It appears that there’s been a lot of jerking around of the government,” he added. “I’m not sure the department could have gotten it back without taking action.”

Asked what he thought of the argument for the appointment of a special master, an independent arbiter to review the material that could delay the investigation, Mr. Barr laughed.

“I think it’s a crock of shit,” he said, adding, “I don’t think a special master is called for.”

Mr. Barr has not been afraid to criticize Mr. Trump since leaving office, but he has seldom been quite so blunt in his assessment as during the interview on Friday afternoon, or earlier in the day when he expressed similar sentiments on Fox News.

Mr. Barr’s comments, which echo the assessment of many Democrats and a few Republicans, including the former Bush adviser Karl Rove, came as Mr. Trump’s supporters tried to downplay the importance of the inventory unsealed by a federal judge in Florida.

The eight-page document, which was made public with the tacit assent of the former president’s lawyers, revealed that the F.B.I. recovered 11,179 documents or photographs without classification markings belonging to the government, and more than 100 others marked top secret, secret or confidential.

“It’s hard to wrap your head around him taking so much sensitive materials,” Mr. Barr said. “I was, let’s just say, surprised.”

As attorney general, Mr. Barr chose not to pursue criminal charges against Mr. Trump after the 2019 report into Mr. Trump’s actions in the Russia investigation. Last month, the department released a memo commissioned by Mr. Barr, in which two deputies rejected a prosecution, saying that none of Mr. Trump’s actions could be shown beyond a reasonable doubt to be criminal acts.

And while he generally backed the department’s investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of classified documents and unequivocally supported the government’s retrieval of sensitive materials, he seemed far less certain about a potential prosecution on charges of obstruction or the Espionage Act, which prohibits the unauthorized retention of national security secrets.

“They have to think about the impact on the country of the precedent set by trying a former president,” Mr. Barr said.

For his part, Mr. Garland has repeatedly said that he would go where the evidence leads him, and that he would act without “fear or favor” when it comes to making decisions in matters involving Mr. Trump and his allies. for a Special Master
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:38 am
“They have to think about the impact on the country of the precedent set by trying a former president,” Mr. Barr said.
Yes, let us think about the impact of the country seeing first hand that presidents are not dictators and kings, they must abide by the laws and the laws still apply to them!

Why do we suffer from this reluctance to hold those given the most responsibility to even the least accountability!? ?!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

My biggest hope for this investigation:
Attachments
Trump's star.jpg
Trump's star.jpg (118.3 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is this likely to go anywhere? By these people https://www.calltoactivism.com/
BREAKING: We just filed an official complaint against Judge Cannon with the 11th Circuit Judicial Council for egregious misconduct for obstructing the DOJ investigation.

This is our first step to launch a movement to punish this corrupt judge and remove her from the bench.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I doubt it (I initially just wrote "no" but I really shouldn't be so categorical).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Good lord, can it get any worse? (And does it surprise me? No.)

I've heard that, since much of the material has been gone through, the judge could consider those working on it 'tainted' and drag this out in unprecedented ways.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Good lord, can it get any worse?
Yes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

How is it possible that Bill Barr has become the voice of reason? On Fox news, no less.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Well if Dick Cheney can do it...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Funny how they get moral when someone dares to pass beyond their given line in the sand (when they've crossed other lines in the sand).
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Remember, it's possible that even the latest news about the nuclear document that the FBI found at Mar-a-Lago is reaching journalists from Trump's team. I tend to believe this about most Trump stories on general principle, but the indefatigable Marcy Wheeler shows here how the phrasing in the Washington Post article may point in that direction -- and that at this time, Trump's lawyers may have more knowledge about the the results of the search than prosecutors do.

Why Trump's team would want this information made public I'm not sure. When we first heard weeks ago that Trump's cache might include material pertaining to nuclear weapons, I thought it could be a plant by Trump's team that might later be discredited.
Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently, the DOJ has made an application to Judge Howell (the Chief Judge of the D.C. District Court where the grand jury is) to release more of the search warrant affidavit, among other things. I'm not sure why, or what it means. But it means something!

Voronwë the Faithful

DOJ has appealed Judge Cannon's order, and has made a motion for a partial stay of her order with regard to the classified documents.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is a particularly interesting part of the DoJ's motion.

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

This is who we are dealing with here (click through to see the whole thread).
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Are cases ever moved due to circumstances such as this? This just seems so wrong.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Wow! Trump was definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel here! :o
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.