Trump Charged With 37 counts of Espionage, Obstruction and related crimes

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Trump Espionage and Obstruction Investigation

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't think it's so remarkable. It's my guess that Trump thought he wouldn't be removed from office and didn't plan to vacate. When he realized (at a late date) he was going to have to leave the White house it was probably helter skelter and everything got thrown in boxes. If what is reported is accurate, he often took items back to his dining room and didn't return them. What surprises me is that there isn't someone from archives/some government agency assisting with the packing or checking on the return of documents. Or, perhaps there was/is supposed to be and he would have one of his infamous hissy fits or he conveniently fired them.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm guessing that both Trump and Cannon are throwing some ketchup around over this.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Of interest is the fact that it is not going to be the same panel that decided the stay motion, and there is no guarantee that the oral argument will be promptly scheduled, since that is left to the discretion of the new panel. Also, they split the difference between the briefing schedule asked for by the DoJ and the briefing schedule requested by Trump.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

One of the items whose description was accidentally published on the docket last night is:

"Printed email between Head Baseball Coach at U.S. Air Force Academy and White House".

It's in the category of legal documents. I wonder what that's about.
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, from the FOIA king.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Just yesterday the Dept. of Justice complained in a court filing that Leopold is a "FOIA terrorist."
Voronwë the Faithful

I almost said, "from the FOIA terrorist" (with a winky face) but I thought better of it.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You know, at this point, they should probably just give Leopold what he wants when he asks. Clearly the guy has mastered his FOIA techniques. There's no point in stonewalling. If he wants, he gets. Legally.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Multiple outlets reported last night that the Department of Justice told Trump's team that they believe Trump still possesses government documents that he shouldn't. This apparently led to dissension among Trump's lawyers, some of whom advised cooperating with DOJ and others who think DOJ is bluffing.

- - - - - - - - - -
Also:

August
TRUMP LAWYERS: The Dept. of Justice seized Trump's personal documents.

DOJ: Our filter team has already separated out the personal documents and we'd like to return them to Trump now.

JUDGE CANNON: Let's not rush into anything, DOJ; you hold onto those for now.

Also JUDGE CANNON: Because DOJ is in possession of Trump's personal documents, I order a Special Master.

October
SPECIAL MASTER: Both DOJ and Trump agree that the personal documents can be returned to him, so there's no need for me to review them.

JUDGE CANNON: I order DOJ to return those personal documents to Trump.

So why was a Special Master needed?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:33 pm So why was a Special Master needed?
To drag out the process until - hopefully - after November.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:26 pm The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has a long story about one Inna Yashchyshyn who, posing as an heiress named "Anna de Rothschild," got extensive access to Mar-a-Lago in 2021.
Canadian media are reporting that Yaschcyshyn's former business partner is one three people shot and killed in a resort near Montreal, and that there were three shooters who fled in an SUV. (I guess there were no buildings in the area tall enough to accidentally fall from.)

Edited to note that subsequent reports indicate the victims survived the shooting.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

If you made shit like this up, people would say you were crazy.

Voronwë the Faithful

Or,
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:55 pm If you made shit like this up, people would say you were crazy.

Isn't that... blackmail?
Reportedly.🤔
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Sooo wish they could lock him up!! :x
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:42 pm Isn't that... blackmail?
Reportedly.🤔
I think I would characterize it more as "proposed extortion." But that is semantics. It's mostly relevant in showing Trump's awareness that he was in possession of documents that he was not legally entitled to have.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

“People made [Bobb] the fall guy — or fall gal, for what it’s worth — and it’s wrong,” the source said. “Yes, she signed the declaration. No one disputes that. But what she signed is technically accurate. ... The people who told her to sign it should know better.”
This was my first thought before I even read the article!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.