The Stranger of Udûn? - New Info and the Identity of Meteor Man

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Stranger of Udûn? - New Info and the Identity of Meteor Man

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:49 am I'm leaning towards Gandalf for Meteor Man. After all its made pretty clear in the LotR that he was the only one of the Istari who was friendly with Hobbits. Also, as I said previously, he exhibits similar traits to Sauron, who was also a Fire Maia.
That's true but I think given the location of where the Harfoots are supposed to be (i.e. Anduin vale) that's where Radagast ended up living. I mean, both are supposed to have not been around until the Third Age anyway but it's all sort of a toss up what they actually are sticking with from canon and what they're making up.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It doesn't really affect the argument, but I think the Harfoot migration has taken them into the vicinity of what is about to be Mordor. Which is to be expected based on the soundtrack, which strongly suggests The Stranger will be present for events that occur there at the end of the season.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

So, Episode 7 revealed that...

Hidden text.
...there is already a Balrog beneath Moria, implied to be the one involved in the battle that—*sigh*—created mithril. Given that the Stranger was last seen heading into Greenwood, the odds of him being Durin's Bane seem very poor now.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hidden text.
They always were (in my opinion), fun as the speculation might have been.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

My latest thoughts are that I very firmly believe they are NOT going for Gandalf. The one thing that has been consistent about The Stranger through all the episodes is that while he probably has a good heart, his powers have a more sinister side and even if he may not be fully aware of that, he still gets too lost in them and doesn't think about the others around, killing or hurting them. I really think they're going for the Blue Wizards. (Or Saruman. :P )