Another "new" Tolkien book

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Re: Another "new" Tolkien book

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:26 amNarvi, eh? That certainly implies that the book covers a lot more than just the fall of Númenor.

I'm leaning towards believing that Sibley is going to create some kind of continuous narrative, despite the implications that suggest otherwise
The inclusion of Narvi strongly suggests that the book will incorporate at least some material from "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn" in UT, but that chapter is so infamously messy that I could conceivably see Sibley and/or HarperCollins feeling that it needed to be presented in radically different form in order to be suitable for mass consumption. Not saying I expect that, but ... could be.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think that the fact that this is being done by Sibley rather than a more scholarly person is a good indication that they were looking for someone to write a continuous narrative based on what Tolkien wrote, rather than someone to present something similar to the scholarly presentations of Beren and Lúthien and The Fall of Gondolin. Sibley, after all, has some experience in this kind of fan fiction, as some of his credits listed on Wikipedia include " a retelling of 50 Favourite Bible Stories" and " In October 2016 he was one of four writers contributing new stories about Winnie-the-Pooh for a 90th birthday collection, The Best Bear in All the World. His story introduced a new character, Penguin, inspired by a vintage photograph of A. A. Milne and his young son, Christopher Robin, playing with the original teddy bear who became Winnie-the-Pooh and a plush toy penguin." Hopefully he won't be introducing any new Penguin characters into this new book, but we will see!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I kinda want to read the story with a penguin OC! Are there no penguins in Middle-earth?

Maybe Elves befriended some while crossing the Helcaraxë? Or, given the nature of the narrative, killed some, prompting our hero, still a fuzzy chick, to swear vengeance upon all Elvendom.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

That's a valid and interesting point about Sibley, Voronwë. Also a good reminder that I "need" to read The Great Tales Never End, as soon as I can justify the cost—or if my alma mater's library ever gets a copy. :P
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Old tweet that I only just saw when it was highlighted by TORn yesterday:

Hidden text.
@Karljahbraum
You can read this chapter in Silmarilion also, right?

@BrianSibley18
Which chapter? This edition draws on ‘Akallabêth’? ‘Of Rings of Power’ and material from ‘Peoples of ME’, ‘Sauron Defeated’, ‘Nature of ME’, ‘The Lost Road’, ‘Letters’, ‘LOTR’ etc
Voronwë the Faithful

I am more than ever convinced that this not going to follow the Beren and Lúthien/Fall of Gondolin model and instead will be more like The Silmarillion, particularly chapter 22. Who knows, maybe there will be a 'Númenor Reconstructed" in my future.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Galin

Post by Galin »

I can't wait to see (if it indeed proves to be) a "reader's version" of Galadriel's doings and wanderings and motives with respect to the Second Age!

And then to possibly disagree with some, much, most, or all of it ;)

I love Lee's pencils, in any case! Sometimes better than certain of his full colour renderings.
Last edited by Galin on Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:26 pmWho knows, maybe there will be a 'Númenor Reconstructed" in my future.
I'd buy it! :D

For that matter, this being something in the model of the 1977 Silmarillion, rather than a collection of material I already own, is also the only reason I'd buy Sibley's book. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

[OT]It is always amusing to see what kind of weird typing errors I make when I post something on my phone while walking. In this case, rather than italicizing the title of the mythical book Númenor Reconstructed, I put it in quotes, with a single open quote and a double close quote. :rotfl: [/OT]

I agree that the book would be more interesting as a continuous narrative than a collection of various versions tied together by dry commentary. It might even be good!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Brian Sibley shared the cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Less than two weeks away from publication. Amazon has The Fall of Númenor available to preorder for $35 (against an MSRP of $40). Sadly, they don't have the "look inside" feature available (nor is there a Google Books preview), so it's impossible to say anything more about whether this is in the model of the 1977 Silmarillion or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/006328068X
Voronwë the Faithful

I pre-ordered it from Book Depository (still avoiding Amazon).

I like your new avatar!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I think this is the book that Khorazir did a bunch of art for
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know who Khorazir is, but the illustrations for this book are done by Alan Lee.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Oh, Khorazir is a Tolkien artist (obv) but pretty sure they were on TORC back in the day. I follow their tumblr and they were doing a bunch of art for a new book coming out for the second age, I thought this might have been it.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

This will definitely merit a trip to the bookstore to flip through it and ooh and ahh over the new Alan Lee illustrations, but I doubt I will buy it unless said flip-through indicates it contains written content (even Sibley-written content :P) I don't already own.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:12 pmI like your new avatar!
Thank you! :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Khorazir is Anke Eissman. Isn't she who did the banner for HOF?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, she did the "Hall of Fire" artwork in the banner, which was then put together by Whistler. I had no idea that she went by the name "Khorazir". I love her work, and her image of my namesake is my very favorite one.

Now I'm even more curious to know what book elengil is referencing!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sorry, took me a while to hunt down the info:

https://legendariaediciones.com/product ... unda-edad/

and here is the art itself

https://khorazir.storenvy.com/products/ ... second-age
was a 2020 planner.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Interesting! That kinda sounds like what Voronwë was speculating Sibley's book might be.

Here's a version of the link that won't get mangled by the forum's autocorrect function:

https://bit.ly/3WoecUW