Media previews

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Media previews

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What is "TORN Discord"?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Media previews

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:What is "TORN Discord"?
It’s a chatroom Platform they use for active discussion (it’s a zillion times more active than the traditional TORN messageboard - people write every couple seconds). If you join (need to create a free Discord account), and sign up for spoiler info, you’ll read…spoilers coming from people who attended the Mexico City premier. And tomorrow, the Mumbai premier.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Voronwë the Faithful

I found the platform, but I only see a spoiler free discussion. Can you link to what you are talking about?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I found the platform, but I only see a spoiler free discussion. Can you link to what you are talking about?
It’s a little complicated, but here’s what you do.

1. Go to the “rules” thread.
2. Click on the Image in front of the New Spoiler Role text
3. Add it to your favorites

Shortly after a mod will allow you into the spoiler chat

Voronwë the Faithful

I found it, but I don't have the patience to wade through that mess. Care to sum up the most interesting spoilers behind spoiler tags here?
Stranger Wings

Media previews

Post by Stranger Wings »

Let me see what I can do. My patience is also a little thin, and I haven’t read all the spoilers, but I can do a bit more digging.

ETA: Below is a Discord link to a summary of spoiler comments (and opinions) from two people who saw the first two episodes in Mexico City:
You won’t be able to see this unless you’re on the Discord.

ETA2: One thing not mentioned in that summary was very exciting to me, and that was:
Hidden text.
One viewer says that Finrod dies the way he does in the books (presumably, the Silmarillion). So it looks like we see him killed by werewolf Sauron. Or at least we see the aftermath.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.tropfanscreening.com/?fbcli ... ZI-8R76DQk

In case anyone wants to see the first two eps early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Is there any precedent for a TV show having a cinematic screening like this before the show is released on TV?
Voronwë the Faithful

Can't say I love that scene between Durin and Disa and Elrond, but maybe it will grow on me. It certainly is a different take on Dwarves then I ever expected to see.

But I love Sophia Nomvete, a long-time theatre actor, talking about going to New York for the first time in her life and seeing a giant billboard of herself on Broadway.
Stranger Wings

Media previews

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:

Can't say I love that scene between Durin and Disa and Elrond, but maybe it will grow on me. It certainly is a different take on Dwarves then I ever expected to see.

But I love Sophia Nomvete, a long-time theatre actor, talking about going to New York for the first time in her life and seeing a giant billboard of herself on Broadway.
My guess is that they’re a bit more casual around a friend/ guest than they’d normally be.

But I absolutely love Elrond’s awkward third-wheeling in the face of dwarf PDA. It’s priceless meme material. “A very happy match…” Image You can just feel him uncomfortably squirming inside. But his British diplomatic side comes out. “That’s lovely, yes. Good for you both. Really.”

I wish they’d gone with a less overtly Scottish accent though. Didn’t like it on Gimli either. A cooler approach would’ve been an accent modeled on Khuzdul sounds. More Semitic in character. Either that or go with a stiffer Nordic accent. The broad Scottish brogue on dwarves just strikes me as a generic fantasy trope. And has zero basis in Tolkien to boot. But still, I like Durin and Disa right away, so I imagine they’re doing their job re: general audiences.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Stranger Wings wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:50 am I wish they’d gone with a less overtly Scottish accent though. Didn’t like it on Gimli either. A cooler approach would’ve been an accent modeled on Khuzdul sounds. More Semitic in character. Either that or go with a stiffer Nordic accent. The broad Scottish brogue on dwarves just strikes me as a generic fantasy trope. And has zero basis in Tolkien to boot.
I had the same thought; everything dwarven looks and sounds like it would have been right at home in the Jackson Hobbit films. This IMO is a bug, not a feature. Not because I hate the Jackson films, but because I'd like a fresh artist to have reign to create a fresh take.

But at least they didn't order them to clone Game of Thrones.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know. It is hard for me to imagine any of Jackson's dwarves snogging!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Each other, maybe. Elves though...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:35 pm I don't know. It is hard for me to imagine any of Jackson's dwarves snogging!
It hard to imagine many women at all in Tolkien's middle earth, period. They are quite noticeably absent except for (mostly) those of renown or those on pedestals. One would think babies (male babies!) were dropped off by storks and mostly raised by bachelors. Perhaps understandable given Tolkien's sad background. For the most part females seem to have left with the entwives. While one might be able to write a story on paper of war and great journeys and fellowships (of men) it would be odd to exclude them so severely in an adapted film/TV version trying to flesh out a functioning society. I would hope that by 2022, were he still with us, Tolkien would agree.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Stranger Wings

Media previews

Post by Stranger Wings »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:35 pm I don't know. It is hard for me to imagine any of Jackson's dwarves snogging!
It hard to imagine many women at all in Tolkien's middle earth, period. They are quite noticeably absent except for (mostly) those of renown or those on pedestals. One would think babies (male babies!) were dropped off by storks and mostly raised by bachelors. Perhaps understandable given Tolkien's sad background. For the most part females seem to have left with the entwives. While one might be able to write a story on paper of war and great journeys and fellowships (of men) it would be odd to exclude them so severely in an adapted film/TV version trying to flesh out a functioning society. I would hope that by 2022, were he still with us, Tolkien would agree.
A great clip of Gil-Galad and Elrond.

Stranger Wings

Media previews

Post by Stranger Wings »

The social media reaction embargo (to first 2 eps) lifted after the NY premiere tonight, and they are extremely, shockingly positive. I have read about twenty and they are full of superlatives but also some detailed reasons why it’s great. All so far have loved it, including four reviewers I know who are not prone to hyperbole. We could have something special.

Voronwë the Faithful

Can't you post any links?
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:42 am Can't you post any links?
https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/0 ... rgo-lifts/

I've honestly not seen anything like this level of universal positivity after a fan screening in a long time. The House of the Dragon premiere received a much more mixed reception, and (IMO) that's a very good first episode. Encouraging, to say the least. The most encouraging theme for me being that it respects the audience's intelligence. I don't think we're getting a very dumbed down show.
Last edited by Stranger Wings on Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks!
Voronwë the Faithful

My favorite is this one.