Media previews

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Media previews

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Stranger Wings wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:56 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:49 pm If you compare that map to the "famous map of Mordor" closely, you can see that it is quite different.
That's a little too smarmy, even for a snob like you. ;)

It's Mordor, and that's the Sea of Rhun. Differences in detail, in a map, are a completely different thing than major geographical changes. That's the area of Mordor (specifically, the plateau of Gorgoroth), and there's no mistake about that. If the Southlands are not in Mordor, that means someone got something wrong in marketing, and that this image is not consistent with what's in the show.
That big tree y'all are talking about at TORN is a pretty big change.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 pm
Stranger Wings wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:56 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:49 pm If you compare that map to the "famous map of Mordor" closely, you can see that it is quite different.
That's a little too smarmy, even for a snob like you. ;)

It's Mordor, and that's the Sea of Rhun. Differences in detail, in a map, are a completely different thing than major geographical changes. That's the area of Mordor (specifically, the plateau of Gorgoroth), and there's no mistake about that. If the Southlands are not in Mordor, that means someone got something wrong in marketing, and that this image is not consistent with what's in the show.
That big tree y'all are talking about at TORN is a pretty big change.
It’s an added tree detail on a map, not the changing of the location of an entire region. And it’s not so much a change as it is an addition. There is no detail in the Mordor maps except for mountains and bodies of water and a few other bits and bobs.

The Southlands are in Mordor. That’s what the map shows in an official video, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Last edited by Stranger Wings on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Voronwë the Faithful

With little Entings running around in the middle of it. Aren't they cute!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Baby Entings are the new Baby Yoda.
Voronwë the Faithful

Better that than Ewoks.

Or Jar-Jar.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

By the way, a former Hollywood Reporter editor saw the first two episodes of RoP and declared that it’s going to be huge. He liked what he saw and thinks it will absolutely compete with the House of the Dragon show.

Last edited by Stranger Wings on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:05 pm Better that than Ewoks.

Or Jar-Jar.
Those Ewoks sure did chop down a lot of trees on Endor, though. Burárum!
Voronwë the Faithful

I've seen a couple of raving twitter reports. Of course, that is almost always the case, but I have little doubt that the show will be raging success.

And all joking and blustering aside, it is far more important that they make a show that is intelligible and interesting to someone who has never read a word of Tolkien than it is that they make something that satisfies a snob like me.

Those trees were (literally) my friends!
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:13 pm I've seen a couple of raving twitter reports. Of course, that is almost always the case, but I have little doubt that the show will be raging success.
Perhaps, but it’s not always the case that seasoned entertainment reporters rave about a show. And we’re getting that. I get the distinct feeling that they did something quite right. At least…in the first two episodes!
Voronwë the Faithful

I get the same feeling. Even if I hate it (assuming that I see it).
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:19 pm I get the same feeling. Even if I hate it (assuming that I see it).
I think my main fear was that the story conceit just wouldn’t…work. And that the world wouldn’t come across as believable. And now that this seems to not be the case, I can relax.

I sincerely like most of what I’ve seen, and have gotten the sense that it feels more Tolkien than PJ’s offerings, and that makes me optimistic. The long-form, more leisurely format of a TV show alone may be the real kicker, as one of the things I disliked about the films was their frenetic pace. This feels less frenetic, and I respond to that.
Voronwë the Faithful

Galadriel is way too short.

Discuss.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

She’d look taller with short hair.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And disco platform shoes.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Burn baby burn. Disco Noldorin.
Stranger Wings

Media previews

Post by Stranger Wings »

I adore this little glimpse into Elrond and Durin’s friendship. I don’t know. Just really enjoying these actors so far.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Last edited by Stranger Wings on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I was just coming to post that.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Did someone post the "Southlands" promo? I've lost track
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

It's easy to lose track!

SW posted it here: viewtopic.php?p=404467#p404467
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Anyone following the spoiler chats on the TORN Discord?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk