The Humility of Samwise Gamgee

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

The Humility of Samwise Gamgee

Post by TolkienJRR »

I wanted to know if posters had a favorite example or quote that portrays the humility of this beloved hobbit.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Humility of Samwise Gamgee

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

TolkienJRR, you may want to check out this old thread.

The Humanity Of Sam
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:57 pm TolkienJRR, you may want to check out this old thread.

The Humanity Of Sam
Ty
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:57 pm TolkienJRR, you may want to check out this old thread.

The Humanity Of Sam
Wow, I was not expecting that, incredible.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

It is a great thread isn't it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Great and heartbreaking.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Indeed. :(
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

All of the above.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

In a foreword to one of his novels, Steven King makes a throwaway reference to time's "stealthy and rotten subtractions" that is so, so apt.