Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Dave_LF »

Frelga wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:38 pm Taking into account my own family history, I am inclined to say that Russians are as evil invaders as the Germans were.

Official Ukrainian sources just call them orcs.

Always remembering that this pertains to Russia the country, not people of Russian ethnicity, many of whom are fighting for Ukraine.
I've started to think of "Russian" as a sort of spiritual designation. Like, Putin's army is obviously Russian, but Trump's is at least 75% of the way there too.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Dave_LF wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:45 pmI've started to think of "Russian" as a sort of spiritual designation. Like, Putin's army is obviously Russian, but Trump's is at least 75% of the way there too.
Frelga wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:38 pm Taking into account my own family history, I am inclined to say that Russians are as evil invaders as the Germans were.

Official Ukrainian sources just call them orcs.

Always remembering that this pertains to Russia the country, not people of Russian ethnicity, many of whom are fighting for Ukraine.
"Orc" is a better alternative
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In case anyone forgot how badass Zelensky is, he traveled to the front line positions to meet with soldiers and distribute medals. Meanwhile Putin's "visits with the people" have the same few FSB agents in different costumes in each photograph.

In possibly the most optimistic interpretation of the situation, this thread argues that Russian advance was in fact a trap. It seems true that the Russians met unexpected resistance in Siverodonetsk after claiming to control the city. Some Twitter experts say this could be the new Stalingrad.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I'd been wondering why there seems to be so little news about the war lately!

Frelga, what do you think of the rumours that Putin is fatally ill with some form of cancer?
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

"Maybe he has to use helicopters"...

Laughed so hard at that tweet! :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ukraine just canceled Moscow.
Kyiv was founded in 482.

In 1147, the Grand Duke of Kyiv and ruler of the Kyivan Rus’, Yuriy Dolhoruky, issued a decree founding Moscow.

In 2022, Kyiv City Council rescinded this decree, saying it was due to a “historical misunderstanding.”

Moscow no longer exists.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

On a heavier note:

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I've been looking at the "Conservapedia" website ("a conservative, family-friendly Wiki encyclopedia") and wow, the entry there on the "Russia-Ukraine War" is something else. It's quite long, and includes passages like this:
NATO-backed neo-Nazi proxy forces attacked the Donbas again on February 14, 2022. Military forces of the Russian Federation (RF) entered Ukraine on February 24, 2022 to put an end to the ethnic violence and de-nazify the areas where the children and grandchildren of World War II Nazi collaborators had been carrying an ethnic hatred of Russians since the Holodomor of the 1930s and earlier. A wave of patriotism swept over Russian society, viewing the operation as a second Great Patriotic War. Soldiers felt they were sent to finish the job of de-nazifying Ukraine that their grandfathers left unfinished after World War II. The use of civilian human shields by the U.S-trained Armed Forces of Ukraine led to civilian casualties and was a primary strategy of the NATO proxies. Ukrainian security forces committed reprisal actions and atrocities against ethnic Russians and Russian speakers in areas which Russian forces vacated. Numerous attacks by Ukrainian forces on its own citizens, which had been ongoing in the Donbas region for the eight previous years, spread outside the Donbas to create false flag images of attacks by Russians. Efforts to rehabilitate the image and reputation of Nazis and Nazism by Western and Ukrainian media and psyops were non-stop since the beginning of the Russian incursion, with permanent and debilitating damage to the West's educational system and image throughout the civilized world. By early April 2022, the Armed Forces of Ukraine had been so degraded and decimated, or were out of fuel and unable to retreat, the Maidan regime doubled down on soft power, psychological operations and propaganda to garner sympathy from the West for continued support.
This is the American conservative point of view on Russia's invasion?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:04 amThis is the American conservative point of view on Russia's invasion?
I haven't just been blowing off steam when I've argued that Trumpists and Putinists are fundamentally the same people.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:16 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:04 amThis is the American conservative point of view on Russia's invasion?
I haven't just been blowing off steam when I've argued that Trumpists and Putinists are fundamentally the same people.
Conservapedia: The website/wiki is owned by Andrew Schlafly, the son of conservative donor Phyllis Schlafly. As a Wiki they are funded through donations and crowdsourcing.

According to Media Bias/Fact Check it is a Questionable Source of information..
Overall, we rate Conservapedia Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well as outright false information. This is not a credible source on any level or by any known criteria.

I am pretty sure our neighbor who has the young earth dinosaur (trailer) museum is affiliated with this group.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:48 am
Dave_LF wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:16 am
Conservapedia: The website/wiki is owned by Andrew Schlafly, the son of conservative donor Phyllis Schlafly. As a Wiki they are funded through donations and crowdsourcing.

According to Media Bias/Fact Check it is a Questionable Source of information..
Overall, we rate Conservapedia Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well as outright false information. This is not a credible source on any level or by any known criteria.
I am pretty sure our neighbor who has the young earth dinosaur (trailer) museum is affiliated with this group.
"Questionable" is a vast understatement. The site's entry on Jeffrey Epstein, in the section on his death (which happened in a prison ultimately controlled by Donald Trump's Attorney General), directs readers to an entry called "Clinton Body Count." And the "Proud Boys" entry -- which I checked in light of the Jan. 6th hearings -- not only mentions neither Aladdin nor milk, but it describes that paramilitary organization as the subject of the "Biden regime's racially motivated prosecution" and claims that the group's leader was "forced" to plead guilty to weapons and disorderly conduct charges after being held in the "DC gulag."

(I won't further belabor this subject in this thread. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what exactly American conservatives believe these days, and the Russia thing was more extreme than even I expected.)
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Conservapedia was a lot funnier (i.e., it was easier to laugh at its absurdity without feeling a dawning sense of existential horror) 10–15 years ago. :neutral:
N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:18 amI won't further belabor this subject in this thread. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what exactly American conservatives believe these days, and the Russia thing was more extreme than even I expected.
I mean, there are conservatives and then there are conservatives. The hawkish tendency in American conservatism has not entirely gone away, even though it was heavily discredited by the Bush years. In polling from March, more Republicans than Democrats thought the US was not providing enough support for Ukraine—though, predictably, Democrats were much more in favor of admitting Ukrainian refugees.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This is the national security reporter at The Daily Beast:

She goes on to note that Putin hopes to hold on to Ukraine until Republicans are again in charge in the U.S., which Putin believes would result in the loosening of sanctions on Russia and reduction in aid to Ukraine. To that end, Putin's cyber teams are planning to do what they did in 2015-16: amplifying dissent about social issues in the U.S. Remember how it later emerged that both the organizers of one 2016 rally for racial justice and the organizers of a counter-protest both had been paid by Russia? Look for that sort of thing except this time it might be on, for example, abortion rights.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

From what I've read, selling oil/gas to China & India has been more profitable for Russia.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

European Union leaders agreed to make Ukraine a candidate for membership. Largely symbolic, yet significant.

Screenshot_20220623-191050.jpg
Screenshot_20220623-191050.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Engine failure. Riiiight! :roll:

Russian plane crash: ‘Four dead’ as military flight headed to Ukraine border ‘suffers engine failure’

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/russian-plane ... 33478.html
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunny -
@JohnnydaMook wrote:

To misquote Arthur C Clarke,
"Any sufficiently advanced sabotage is indistinguishable from normal Russian infrastructure neglect caused by rampant corruption".
Heard today how some Ukrainian women who were raped by Russian soldiers can't escape to Poland because they wouldn't be able to get an abortion there.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:cry: I remember how upset Enchie was when Poland enacted that anti-abortion legislation. :x
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A Missile Strike Hits Shopping Center With 1,000 People Inside

The attack happened in the city of Kremenchuk in central Ukraine: