The Keys of Middle-earth

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

The Keys of Middle-earth

Post by TolkienJRR »

Has anyone read The keys of Middle-earth by S.Lee and Elizabeth Solopova? i was wondering what kinds of sources are used [is it only the Icelandic sagas etc] and what kind of comparisons are made between Tolkiens world and those sources. Is it "inspirations" taking of names etc
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
N.E. Brigand

Re: The Keys of Middle-earth

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here is the table of contents (page numbers in parentheses):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Acknowledgements (ix)

Abbreviations (x)

1. How to Use This Book (1)

2. Introduction (2)
--2.1 Background (2)
----2.1.1 Why another book about Tolkien? (2)
----2.1.2 This is not a source book (3)
----2.1.3 Tolkien's career (4)
----2.1.4 Tolkien's fiction and medieval literature (7)
----2.1.5 Medieval sources (11)
--2.2 Medieval literature (12)
----2.2.1 Old English (16)
----2.2.2 Middle English (20)
----2.2.3 Old Norse (23)
--2.3 Thematic and technical parallels (25)
----2.3.1 The theme of the quest (25)
----2.3.2 The epic (28)
----2.3.3 The runes (31)
----2.3.4 Alliterative verse and Tolkien's verse (38)
----2.3.5 The names (50)

3. The Editions (54)

4. The Texts (57)
The Hobbit (59)
--4.1 Gandalf and the Dwarves -- Völuspá, stanzas 9-16 (TH, 'An Unexpected Party') (59)
--4.2 Bilbo and Gollum's Riddle-Game -- Vafþrúðnismál and Solomon and Saturn II, ll.47-68 and 104-23 (TH, 'Riddles in the Dark') (73)
--4.3 Bilbo meets Smaug -- Beowulf, ll. 2207-311 (TH, 'Inside Information') (106)
The Lord of the Rings (123)
--4.4 The Elves at Rivendell -- Sir Orfeo, ll. 107-94 (FR, 'Many Meetings'; TH, 'A Short Rest' and 'Flies and Spiders') (123)
--4.5 Legolas's 'Lament of the Stones' -- The Ruin (FR, 'The Ring Goes South') (133)
--4.6 The Fight at Balin's Tomb -- The Fight at Finnsburg and 'Cynewulf and Cyneheard' (FR, 'The Bridge of Khazâd-dûm') (146)
--4.7 The Crossing of the Nimrodel -- Pearl, ll. 61-276 (FR, 'Lothlórien') (164)
--4.8 Boromir's Death -- Beowulf, ll. 26-52 (TT, 'The Departure of Boromir') (177)
--4.9 Treebeard's List -- Maxims II (TT, 'Treebeard') (183)
--4.10 The Rohirrim -- The Wanderer and Beowulf, ll. 306-70 (TT, 'The King of the Golden Hall') (194)
--4.11 The Death of Théoden and the Arrival of the Mûmakil -- The Battle of Maldon, ll. 111-84 and Ælfric's Homily on the Maccabees, ll. 499-519 (RK, 'The Battle of the Pelennor Fields') (217)
--4.12 The Landscape of Mordor -- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, ll. 713-63 and Beowulf, ll. 1345-82 (RK, 'The Land of Shadow') (235)
--4.13 The Final Journey -- The Seafarer (RK, 'The Grey Havens') (250)

Bibliography (266)

Index (277)

I hope that helps!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Those titles look interesting. Have you read the book?
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:21 am Here is the table of contents (page numbers in parentheses):

Acknowledgements (ix)

Abbreviations (x)

2. Introduction (2)
--2.1 Background (2)
----2.2.3 Old Norse (23)
----2.3.2 The epic (28)
----2.3.3 The runes (31)
----2.3.5 The names (50)

3. The Editions (54)

4. The Texts (57)
The Hobbit (59)
--4.1 Gandalf and the Dwarves -- Völuspá, stanzas 9-16 (TH, 'An Unexpected Party') (59)
--4.2 Bilbo and Gollum's Riddle-Game -- Vafþrúðnismál and Solomon and Saturn II, ll.47-68 and 104-23 (TH, 'Riddles in the Dark') (73)
--4.3 Bilbo meets Smaug -- Beowulf, ll. 2207-311 (TH, 'Inside Information') (106)
--4.4 The Elves at Rivendell -- Sir Orfeo, ll. 107-94 (FR, 'Many Meetings'; TH, 'A Short Rest' and 'Flies and Spiders') (123)
--4.5 Legolas's 'Lament of the Stones' -- The Ruin (FR, 'The Ring Goes South') (133)
--4.6 The Fight at Balin's Tomb -- The Fight at Finnsburg and 'Cynewulf and Cyneheard' (FR, 'The Bridge of Khazâd-dûm') (146)
--4.7 The Crossing of the Nimrodel -- Pearl, ll. 61-276 (FR, 'Lothlórien') (164)
--4.8 Boromir's Death -- Beowulf, ll. 26-52 (TT, 'The Departure of Boromir') (177)
--4.10 The Rohirrim -- The Wanderer and Beowulf, ll. 306-70 (TT, 'The King of the Golden Hall') (194)
--4.11 The Death of Théoden and the Arrival of the Mûmakil -- The Battle of Maldon, ll. 111-84 and Ælfric's Homily on the Maccabees, ll. 499-519 (RK, 'The Battle of the Pelennor Fields') (217)
--4.12 The Landscape of Mordor -- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, ll. 713-63 and Beowulf, ll. 1345-82 (RK, 'The Land of Shadow') (235)

Bibliography (266)

Index (277)

I hope that helps!

perfect, thanks so much. The bad news, know I have to buy it :(
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Jude wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:13 pm Those titles look interesting. Have you read the book?
I have not, but now I must.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think Jude was asking whether N.E.B. had read the book. It was pretty clear that you had not, since you were the one who asked about it!

I also have not read this book, but it has gotten good reports and reviews.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

But if either of you do get the book, I'd be very interested to hear your impressions.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's not high on my list at this time, but I'll certainly be interested in other's opinions.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:21 am Here is the table of contents (page numbers in parentheses):

Acknowledgements (ix)

Abbreviations (x)

2. Introduction (2)
--2.1 Background (2)
----2.2.3 Old Norse (23)
----2.3.2 The epic (28)
----2.3.3 The runes (31)
----2.3.5 The names (50)

3. The Editions (54)

4. The Texts (57)
The Hobbit (59)

Bibliography (266)

Index (277)

I hope that helps!

Just ordered it thanks.
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

My copy arrived along with my new illustrated edition of lost tales. I must haste through ROTK so I can start.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

I assume you mean Unfinished Tales, not "lost tales." Though I would love an illustrated version of The Book of Lost Tales (which I am currently rereading as part of an effort to read the entirety of HoMe consecutively in preparation for reviewing the upcoming book The Nature of Middle-earth for the Journal of Tolkien Research), I don't believe that such a thing exists.

The illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales is quite beautiful. Having works from Naismith, Howe and Lee in one book is quite a treat. I am sure that you will enjoy that. I'll be curious to hear what you think of Lee's book.
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:54 pm I assume you mean Unfinished Tales, not "lost tales." Though I would love an illustrated version of The Book of Lost Tales (which I am currently rereading as part of an effort to read the entirety of HoMe consecutively in preparation for reviewing the upcoming book The Nature of Middle-earth for the Journal of Tolkien Research), I don't believe that such a thing exists.

The illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales is quite beautiful. Having works from Naismith, Howe and Lee in one book is quite a treat. I am sure that you will enjoy that. I'll be curious to hear what you think of Lee's book.
Indeed. Thanks for the correction.

I would love to read your review in the journal, please provide a link when it is published. I am also excited about [and preordered] The Nature of Middle-earth. Like you I am running through much of Tolkien's work however I am hitting everything but the HOME, unless the unofficial nature of middle-earth is considered among them. Part of the reason I ordered the illustrated edition of UT is to encourage me to reread every word once more. It is my treat to myself for doing my homework. Every time I reread Tolkien's works I discover new hidden gems.

Oh, and Lee, Howe, and Naismith are my favorite artists. I remind my kids every chance I get that the anniversary illustrated edition of LOTR by Lee I hold to be more valuable than their lives. :D
-J.R.R Tolkien