Dune

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Dune

Post by River »

I'd consider seeing it in the theater if I can get everything lined up right. Especially after the review I just heard on NPR.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, I heard that review too (assume you are talking about Bob Mondello).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'm planning to see it once cinemas re-open here (hopefully in a fortnight).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Going tonight. Can't wait. (Our Cinemas practice social distancing also)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Yay! Looking forward to seeing your reaction.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Reading an article on the soundtrack from NYTimes, they mentioned that Hans Zimmer went so far as to create entirely new instruments in some cases to make the music sound so different.

So here's the soundtrack on youtube:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I just read this CBC review and learned for the first time that this is only the first half of the novel. Did you all already know that?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup. And the second half has not yet been greenlit. Hopefully this one will do well enough that they will make the second part. From all accounts that I have seen it is both a brilliant movie and a fine adpatation.

Still hoping to see a review from Al here (I could cut and paste what he wrote on Facebook, but that would not be right).
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'd like to read that review too.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Half the time I read Al as AI and wonder why, for example, V wants to see a review by an artificial intelligence in particular.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched about the first hour yesterday at our daughter's house. We hadn't planned on that, and couldn't stay to finish it... but the first 56 minutes were really good! :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, I know I'm sometimes prone to hyperbole, but its stunning. Fellowship levels of stunning. Its a stone cold classic that will be discussed by film students for decades to come. I do worry that it will be a little slow for modern audiences, but for those who enjoy real cinematic immersion this is like a latter day Lawrence of Arabia for nerds. See it on the biggest screen you can find, with the best sound system you can find. Then see it again. And again. Its that good.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

:)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow. I guess I better reread the book and subscribe to HBO Max. Which I found out, last night, also has all of the Harry Potter movies. Given that I’ve been renting those from Prime (irika and I have been watching them as I reread each book. She has finished the whole series multiple times), subscribing to hbo might make sense.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

No big surprise, but it is nice to have it be official.

‘Dune: Part 2’ Officially Greenlit, Release Date Set for 2023

Maybe I'll get to see Part 1 before then!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The release date here has been pushed back to 2 December :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Son saw it in New York. His verdict is "very pretty on big screen", which is about as gushing as he gets about a movie.

Meanwhile, I've seen people express concern that new fans will not be able to follow the plot of the movie without seeing the original, the 1997 Spice World.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

On a more serious note, I have seen a number of discussions about the failure to include any MENA actors among the major cast members, and more importantly, the white-washing or outright elimination of much of the Arabic/Islamic influence on the book, which is very apparent and Herbert was very open about. That is disappointing.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We were able to renew our subscription to Hulu, and then get a free week trial of HBO Max, and the streaming worked sort of OK with our satellite. Not well enough to keep either subscription, but well enough to see the rest of the movie. Most of it was pretty good. The only casting decision I didn't like was Rabban. I just can't picture that actor as evil, not after his role on Guardians of the Galaxy.

The carryalls for the spice mining factories were not at all as I had pictured them.