Dune

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Túrin Turambar

Dune

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Delayed until the end of October, but we have another trailer. I'm actually not a huge of Villeneuve's other work, finding it slow and ponderous, but slow and ponderous would suit this source material perfectly. I'm cautiously optimistic.

[media][/media]
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Dune

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Me too.

Plus, anything would be an improvement over Lynch's monstrosity.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I dunno. Even in that short trailer there are indications of osgiliations that don't feel good.

Of course, I'll still go see it, but I'll put off rereading it until after.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm super excited. Also surprised that everyone references Lynch's version and not the excellent TV Miniseries of Dune and Children of Dune. While they are dated now, they are still the best adaptations of Dune.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Too much water fat in Chani's face, while Paul's face is very thin. That's the opposite of how it should be.
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 am I'm super excited. Also surprised that everyone references Lynch's version and not the excellent TV Miniseries of Dune and Children of Dune. While they are dated now, they are still the best adaptations of Dune.
I agree that they are best current adaptations, though I am hopeful that they won't be soon. I like them but I don't love them.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 am I'm super excited. Also surprised that everyone references Lynch's version and not the excellent TV Miniseries of Dune and Children of Dune. While they are dated now, they are still the best adaptations of Dune.
In my case it's because I never saw the miniseries. It's also possible that simply because of when they were released (media saturation?) and the fact they weren't in theatres, maybe they were simply less well seen?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

One of the very few things I remember from reading Dune was the image of women wearing their hair slicked down and parted like the wings of a beetle. Because of course they can't waste water on maintaining the luscious locks Zendaya is sporting.

It's a small thing, but it is a visual detail that says a lot about the culture.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

However...

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I love it!

There's another joke going around about Christian Bale gaining weight to play the sandworm.
Voronwë the Faithful

FB_IMG_1627162810286.jpg
FB_IMG_1627162810286.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I thought Arrival was the best film of its year, but I never read the book it was based on, so I can't comment on its success or failure as an adaptation. I was not as impressed by Sicario as many others were, but it did introduce me to a word I hadn't known before, and it was amusing years later to learn that one of the earliest references to Robin Hood described him as a "sicarius".
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The film has premiered at Venice and reviews are generally very positive. Given both the source material and Villeneuve's prior work it's not surprising that it's being praised for being immersive and awe-inspiring and occasionally criticised for being self-important and humourless. Also unsurprising are the comparisons with PJ's LotR.
Voronwë the Faithful

I would definitely be happy to be as satisfied with this Dune as I was with Jackson's LOTR. I can think of some people who have posted in this thread that I am sure would not say that.
Voronwë the Faithful

Anyone planning to go see it soon? The reviews on the whole are pretty encouraging.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm not venturing into a theater, and not subscribing to HBO Max, so no.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Agreed, I'd love to be able to see it but my options at the moment are restrictive.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I haven't been to a theatre since we got our big screen TV years ago.
Not going to start now.
Voronwë the Faithful

So you are all in the same boat as me. I would like to see on the big screen, but I can't imagine being willing to venture into a theater any time soon. Eventually I'll get a chance to watch it at home I'm sure, but on my 40 inch screen it certainly won't be same.

Al, how 'bout you?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

*Gets into the same boat.*
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude