Dune

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Dune

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Fair enough. I'll keep what annoys me to myself.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No, feel free to express your concerns and opinions. I just personally want to avoid negativity about things I enjoy
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

You know after almost two decades (!!!!!!!!) that I am not shy about expressing my opinions! But I've also learned that the there is a time a place to do so, and a time and place to let things lie. At least until I actually see the film myself, this falls in the latter category.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This is actually something I’ve been turning over in my mind. In 1965, an army of Islamic fanatics was an exotic curiosity, and people would have probably only seen the term ‘Jihad’ in the history books. These things are obviously complicated for an audience post-9/11, and “influence” can start to look like “negative stereotypes”.

In general, I’m a believer in adapting the source material and not trying to make it fit with the social mores of the time the movie happens to made in (which will themselves be superseded as time goes on). But given this is highly-speculative science fiction, I’m less sure.

I do think the absence of MENA actors is odd. That said, given this is set thousands of years into the future they could have cast pretty much anyone outside of a handful of roles where there’s a particular physical description (like the Harkonnen’s red hair). I always envisioned the Atreides as looking Mediterranean, as their name sounds vaguely Greek or Spanish to me, so they could have actually cast MENA actors as Paul as Leto.
Voronwë the Faithful

Atreides is explicitly based on the Greek House of Atreus, as per Herbert.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I always assumed Frank Herbert was being lazy in basing the Fremen culture so much on an existing Earth culture. It would have been much more interesting if he'd actually thought up something more original along with the rest of the rather cool world building he did.
Voronwë the Faithful

On an unrelated note, it appears that Herbert and my doppelganger were mutual fans of each other.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Saw the film, on the day it opened here in a theatre not quite full. Clearly a lot of people are still avoiding cinemas.

It’s good! Denis Villeneuve’s heavy and visually-striking style is a good fit for Frank Herbert’s arcane novel.

It doesn’t use as much book dialogue as the Lynch version, although it’s still a purist adaptation overall. There’s a bit of exposition, but not too much given the complexity of the source material.

A few reviewers have noted this, but the visuals give a real sense of scale and the music an otherworldly feel.

The central cast of Atreides father, mother and son is solid and the actors have a good dynamic. The Baron is intimidating for once. I wasn’t quite as sold on the secondary cast, although I’m not sure whether it was acting, writing or directing.

It ends in a sensible spot and I’m looking forward to the next one. It does go really heavy with the visions and esoteric-type stuff at times, and I’m not sure how well it will go with scooping up new fans for Herbert’s universe – it will probably lose a tug-of-war with Marvel for casual viewers – but as a fan of the novel I’m satisfied.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:38 am Saw the film, on the day it opened here in a theatre not quite full. Clearly a lot of people are still avoiding cinemas.

It’s good! Denis Villeneuve’s heavy and visually-striking style is a good fit for Frank Herbert’s arcane novel.

It doesn’t use as much book dialogue as the Lynch version, although it’s still a purist adaptation overall. There’s a bit of exposition, but not too much given the complexity of the source material.

A few reviewers have noted this, but the visuals give a real sense of scale and the music an otherworldly feel.

The central cast of Atreides father, mother and son is solid and the actors have a good dynamic. The Baron is intimidating for once. I wasn’t quite as sold on the secondary cast, although I’m not sure whether it was acting, writing or directing.

It ends in a sensible spot and I’m looking forward to the next one. It does go really heavy with the visions and esoteric-type stuff at times, and I’m not sure how well it will go with scooping up new fans for Herbert’s universe – it will probably lose a tug-of-war with Marvel for casual viewers – but as a fan of the novel I’m satisfied.
Yes, I agree with your observations. Very well done, and I do look forward to the next part. Duke Lehto was well portrayed by Oscar Isaac, and they didn't short Duncan Idaho's part.
The cinema was barely a third full, and after they ran the 'commercial' about socially distancing by leaving gaps of seats, they had crammed the row we were in the middle of full. Fortunately some scattered to unused seats.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Haven't seen the film yet, but this video (warning: potential plot spoilers) on its visual effects is very interesting:

Voronwë the Faithful

Finally saw it. Some aspects I like a lot, others, not so much. I found the music very distracting, and that very significantly reduced how much I enjoyed it.

More later (maybe).
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:47 amI found the music very distracting, and that very significantly reduced how much I enjoyed it.
I liked the 1984 music better.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I hope no one finds this apostasy.

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

So there is talk about a third movie of Dune Messiah, and a prequel series called 'Dune: The Sisterhood' about the Bene Gesserit order.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll be stunned if they don't do Children of Dune as well.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Saw the movie. It was good.

I have only vague memories of the book so I am not a good judge of how faithful the movie is. On the other hand, I wasn't confused by it.

Timothée Chalamet does a good job of switching between adorable puppy who must be protected and heir of a warrior house. He does tend to turn invisible when Jason Momoa or Óscar Isaac are on screen with him. Wish we could get more of them.

I can't see Dave Bautista as anyone except Drax.

Why does Hollywood hate color so much?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Very strong reviews for Part 2 - 96% on Rottentomatoes.
Voronwë the Faithful

In comparison, Part 1 ended up at 83%. Most likely, Part 2 will go down some as more reviews come in, but it undoubtedly will end up considerably higher.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

My wife got us tickets for an IMAX showing on March 8th. Looking forward to it.
--Bilbo Baggins