The Stock Market

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: The Stock Market

Post by yovargas »

The whole thing roughly reminds me of scalping, where you buy some hot, hard to get item in the hope you can resell it for more later. But I guess here you hope you can rebuy it for less later, I guess?

Scalpers, btw, are loathsome scum who belong in a low rung of hell. I suspect short-sellers should be sitting next to them there.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:I know the exchanges do, but then all trading is halted for everyone. Robinhood is a broker, and they only halted buying stock. In this way, institutions are free to trade, but retail investors are prevented from buying the stock, which should bring the price down and help short sellers.

Or at least that's how I understand it.
Oh, I didn’t realize that. My friend challenged me to stay off the news. It’s showing. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Everyone here has acted legally, although everyone involved in this is losing money. The hedge funds, on their shorts. And the redditors, most likely, because it isn't clear that Gamestop has a way to trade out of its difficulties - it's struggling to compete with online stores like Steam. But I agree there's no grounds to stop the redditors from buying the stock.

Personally, I wouldn't object if shorting stock was made illegal. And many of these other tricky financial practices. The stock market is for investors to invest and for companies to raise the capital they need to operate and grow.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:The whole thing roughly reminds me of scalping, where you buy some hot, hard to get item in the hope you can resell it for more later. But I guess here you hope you can rebuy it for less later, I guess?

Scalpers, btw, are loathsome scum who belong in a low rung of hell. I suspect short-sellers should be sitting next to them there.
In a very special hell, along with child molesters and people who talk in the theatre.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

yovargas wrote:The whole thing roughly reminds me of scalping, where you buy some hot, hard to get item in the hope you can resell it for more later. But I guess here you hope you can rebuy it for less later, I guess?

I was once hired by an air show to buy tickets from scalpers so that the show could figure out who had been given tickets that were subsequently being sold.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Túrin Turambar wrote:Personally, I wouldn't object if shorting stock was made illegal. And many of these other tricky financial practices. The stock market is for investors to invest and for companies to raise the capital they need to operate and grow.
Josh Barro of Business Insider yesterday argued that the ability to short stock is a way to hold managers accountable. Without that tool, he said, more companies could act like Theranos, which was privately traded and was valued at $10 billion with some $700 million invested in it, before it turned out that the company's product was a complete fraud. (The trial of the company's founder Elizabeth Holmes and president Ramesh Balwani starts in six weeks.)

Interesting. According to Wikipedia, these were the biggest investors in Theranos, whose investments ended up being worth nothing:
--the Walton family: $150 million
--Rupert Murdoch: $121 million
--Betsy DeVos: $100 million)
--the Cox family (of Cox Media Group): $100 million
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Túrin Turambar wrote:Personally, I wouldn't object if shorting stock was made illegal. And many of these other tricky financial practices. The stock market is for investors to invest and for companies to raise the capital they need to operate and grow.
Josh Barro of Business Insider yesterday argued that the ability to short stock is a way to hold managers accountable. Without that tool, he said, more companies could act like Theranos, which was privately traded and was valued at $10 billion with some $700 million invested in it, before it turned out that the company's product was a complete fraud. (The trial of the company's founder Elizabeth Holmes and president Ramesh Balwani starts in six weeks.)

Interesting. According to Wikipedia, these were the biggest investors in Theranos, whose investments ended up being worth nothing:
--the Walton family: $150 million
--Rupert Murdoch: $121 million
--Betsy DeVos: $100 million)
--the Cox family (of Cox Media Group): $100 million
It's understandable, but it seems like an extreme way to prevent fraudulent stock offerings. It's as if, instead of having building codes, there'd been some mechanism for property investors to bet that buildings will fall down.

My problem with it is that it exposes investors to potentially unlimited losses. If you buy $100 worth of shares in Theranos, you stand to lose $100. But if you short $100 worth of stock, your potential losses are nearly unlimited - as Gamestop shows. People are bad at planning for events at the far end of the probability tail.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

NE, could you explain how short selling is a mechanism for exposing that kind of fraud?
Are there no other legal mechanisms that can be used to keep the stock market clean?

And if not, that is surely a failure of the regulation system if it relies on murky dealings (selling short sounds murky to me) as a form of regulation.

If I sound obtuse, that's because I am, on this subject.
Last edited by Impenitent on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I agree with Túrin. It's not the managers who suffer from uncovered shorts.

Update - some unexpected fallout.
Screenshot_20210128-201225.jpg
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Impenitent wrote:NE, could you explain how short selling is a mechanism for exposing that kind of fraud?
Are there no other legal mechanisms that can be used to keep the stock market clean?

And if not, that is surely a failure of the regulation system if it relies on murky dealings (selling short sounds murky to me) as a form of regulation.

If I sound obtuse, that's because I am, on this subject.
No more obtuse than me! I know almost nothing about this subject. But I am thinking about The Big Short: were that movie's protagonists (Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, etc.) the good guys or the bad guys? They spotted the housing crash well in advance. They bet against the housing market. They made money when it crashed. But they didn't cause it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Why RobinHood had to stop individual investors from trading - they didn’t have the cash to cover it.

From NYTimes:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I suspect shenanigans.

In any case, looks like they lifted restrictions against Gamestop, which almost doubled. Now they are restricting trading in cryptocurrency, although to be fair, it's something called dogecoin. And only for trades using deposits that haven't cleared yet.

Robinhood restricts crypto trading 'due to extraordinary market conditions'
I
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The per share stock price of Gamestop over the past six months:

Aug. 9 -- $4.33
Sep. 9 -- $7.35
Oct. 9 -- $12.02
Nov. 9 -- $11.49
Dec. 9 -- $13.66
Jan. 9 -- $17.69

Jan. 19 -- $39.36

Jan. 25 -- $65.01
Jan. 26 -- $147.98
Jan. 27 -- $347.51
Jan. 28 -- $193.60
Jan. 29 -- $325.00

Feb. 1 -- $225.00
Feb. 2 -- $90.00
Feb. 5 -- $63.77
Feb. 9 -- $49.20
elengil

Post by elengil »

So if the stock was steadily increasing in price since August what made the broker think it was going to go down instead?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He died by suicide thinking he owed $730,000. Now his family is suing Robinhood
Robinhood is being sued for the wrongful death of a 20-year-old college student who died by suicide last summer after he saw a negative balance of $730,000 in his trading account and mistakenly believed that was the sum of money he owed.

The parents and sister of Alexander Kearns accused Robinhood of luring inexperienced investors like their son to take big risks in sophisticated financial instruments such as the options trading he engaged in -- without providing the necessary customer support and investment guidance.

"Robinhood built out its trading platform to look much like a videogame to attract young users and minimize the appearance of real-world risk," reads the lawsuit filed Monday in California by Kearns' parents Dan and Dorothy and sister Sydney.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

:cry:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:So if the stock was steadily increasing in price since August what made the broker think it was going to go down instead?
It's a company selling a product that can be downloaded digitally out of shopping mall stores that are largely closed due to pandemic?

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:
elengil wrote:So if the stock was steadily increasing in price since August what made the broker think it was going to go down instead?
It's a company selling a product that can be downloaded digitally out of shopping mall stores that are largely closed due to pandemic?
But they have a website - you can buy the digital copy from their store, or buy hardware you can't download through their store. And their stock had been steadily going up during the pandemic...?
was a 2020 planner.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Presumably somebody analyzed the company's data and decided the runup wasn't justified. If you believe there's a bubble and it's about to pop, a short sell is a good play.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:Presumably somebody analyzed the company's data and decided the runup wasn't justified. If you believe there's a bubble and it's about to pop, a short sell is a good play.
Ah.
was a 2020 planner.