The 4K Release of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The 4K Release of Lord of the RIngs and The Hobbit

Post by Jude »

Apparently there will be the original trailer that was shown at Cannes and hasn't been seen since then.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, but that's not new footage. I mean stuff like Faramir and Eowyns wedding, or cut scenes from Arwen at Helms Deep. Stuff we've heard about but never seen. And lets be honest, it will all be on youtube within a few weeks, so not sure I'd spend €250 on anything less than a recut and re-edited version of each movie.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Alatar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:10 pm Yeah, but that's not new footage. I mean stuff like Faramir and Eowyns wedding, or cut scenes from Arwen at Helms Deep. Stuff we've heard about but never seen. And lets be honest, it will all be on youtube within a few weeks, so not sure I'd spend €250 on anything less than a recut and re-edited version of each movie.
Exactly.... well, I wouldn't pay that kind of $ for a re-edit/recut either. I did read somewhere Viggo saying they filmed a swath of footage of he and Arwen in Lothlórien, but he hadn't ever seen it. You know there had to be a lot of good outtakes and cuts. Hoping it didn't get swept up off the cutting room floor and disposed of. Either way, I'll wait for it all to show up on youtube, and for a complete madern remake of the trilogy... ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So this article tells us what the Ultimate Collector's Edition contains: Lord of the Rings ‘Ultimate Collector’s Edition’ Isn’t That Ultimate: It’s Missing the Appendices
So the three Hobbit movies—An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, and The Battle of the Five Armies—have four discs each: the theatrical cut on Blu-ray, the Extended Edition on Blu-ray, the theatrical cut in 4K, and then the Extended in 4K. But the three Lord of the Rings movies—Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King—have six discs each: theatrical on Blu-ray, theatrical in 4K, and then the Extended Editions take up two discs in both formats. That’s a grand total of 30 discs, which leaves one remaining—the extras.
This single disc does not contain the contents found in the 12 discs of amazing extras—two per movie—found in the original Extended Edition Blu-ray releases. Dubbed the ‘Appendices’, these contained hours and hours of behind-the-scenes footage, documentaries, interviews, art, and more, and are some of the greatest special features ever made. Even The Hobbit got the same treatment, giving frank and clear insight into how the production of that trilogy went. Instead, here are all the extras included in the Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition:

• The original Cannes Film Festival presentation reel

• Footage from the recent Alamo Drafthouse cast reunions

• A 30-40 minute “special feature” on each of the three Lord of the Rings movies

...and we’re done! That’s the list! Oh, and by the way? The three commentary tracks per movie found on the original Blu-rays? Those are missing, too. What the Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition does have is a big box with some nice art, separate arts cards, and “a 64-page booklet featuring costumes, photography, and production notes from the film.” You can see all of the set’s wonders in the 37-second video above.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ouch. I guess the dream really is over so. We're never gonna see that lost footage.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It sells for 330 CAD. The 4K LOTR and Hobbit are $100 each, so they're putting the value of this one extra disc and the booklet at $130.

Wasn't this to be the second of three 4K releases this year, or am I remembering wrong?
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Wow that's ridiculous. I'm sure glad I decided to just get the "regular" Extended Blu-ray set.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

From the second post in this thread:
Alatar wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:41 pm Hmm. Seems there's three releases.

Dec 1 2020: Lotr and TH 4K editions
June 2021: Lotr and TH 4K Collectors Editions
Fall 2021: 20th Anniversary Editions

No details yet on the difference between the June and Fall releases.
The June one was released in October. Is there still going to be a 20th Anniversary Edition? Is it worth waiting to see what it contains?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well its definitely worth waiting cause there's been nothing that would make me part with cash yet.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here's a 12-minute video from Nerd of the Rings:

Things I learned:
The "Ultimate Collector's Edition" also has remastered blu-ray discs with the green tint removed - someone upthread asked about this
The Cannes trailer has some (very short) scenes and alternate takes which haven't been seen since the trailer
There is a lot of footage in Warner Brother's vaults waiting to be remastered and shown
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2021/1 ... d-you-get/
A final reminder that Peter Jackson has said on occasion that he wants to do a 25th anniversary “Unicorn Edition” with all the extra stuff that we haven’t seen yet – Frodo turning into Gollum, Faramir & Éowyn’s wedding, and a warts-n-all BTS documentary that goes even deeper into the drama of making these films. No announcements have been made that this is even in the works, but PJ is a billionaire now, so anything is possible!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's promising, but... did he promise the same for the 20th anniversary?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I disliked the Hobbit so much I never even bought the original release on DVD. I do have the EE of LOTR, and it was worth the money for the added material (though some of it sucked, like P.J. posing as a pirate and getting shot, the avalanche of skulls, etc.)

Anyway, one of my hockey billets was watching TT, and accidentally forgot to take Disc 2 of the EE out of his DVD player before returning home. Can these discs be copied? Is there some way I can get a replacement?

The player in question owes me money, so he is refusing to communicate with me, and I have zero hope of ever getting the disc back.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

If he won't return the disc, then he owes you the full replacement cost of a brand new set in addition to whatever else he owes you. Is there any use in communicating with the hockey team manager?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's very disappointing, Sunny. I'm sorry that you are dealing with that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Jude, this guy was my first billet, 4 years ago. After he was kicked off the team for drinking and fighting, he went back home, after making me many promises about what an honourable person he was, and he didn't at all deserve the nasty things people were saying about him.

I was pretty sure at the time I was being fed a line of B.S., and I was right. He pretty quickly cut off communication with me when I started to ask questions about just when he was going to pay me. He also never responded to me when I asked for him to mail me the DVD.

One of my other billets told me he once saw him down two tallboys of beer before going on the ice... :shock:

After he and another player he was friends with left, I cleaned out the apartment, and took about $30 worth of empty booze and beer bottles back to the store!

The team management has been absolutely useless when it comes to helping out with stuff like this. They SAID they'd help, but nothing ever happened.

Needless to say my experience with my other billets has been much much better than this, or I wouldn't be doing it still! :rofl:

One of my current billets works for a tire store in his home town. He put the snow tires on my car for me yesterday... :love:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, sometimes prayers do get answered! Just found someone who has the EE of Two Towers available for $20! Of course, the EE is almost always sold as a set, so am surprised that I was able to find this! :banana: :banana:

They live about an hour away, but I was planning to head in that direction tonight anyway!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What lovely news, Sunny!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Soooo, anyone planning a Marathon for the 20th anniversary on the 22nd?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The 4K Release of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Post by Jude »

Well, I'm going to spread my viewing over several days during late December. I guess that doesn't count?