The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

Post by Frelga »

And apparently he used covid 19 relief money to do it. Why be evil when you can be Saturday morning cartoon evil.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:02 am
River wrote:This qualifies as human trafficking, doesn't it?
As my 'buddy' Seth Abramson correctly points out: ...

It also could be considered kidnapping across state lines.
By contrast, Ken White says:

(Something that amuses mes: both of these men, whom I believe block each other on Twitter, have in the past responded pleasantly to emails I've sent them.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

By 'both of these men', are you referring to Seth Abramson and Ken White?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:32 am And apparently he used covid 19 relief money to do it. Why be evil when you can be Saturday morning cartoon evil.
It's possible they aren't creative enough for any other kind. Or they assume their intended audience will not cheer and applaud if they weren't cartoonish.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:34 pm By 'both of these men', are you referring to Seth Abramson and Ken White?
Yes. In both cases, I had written to them a time or two over the years with a minor correction or update I thought was pertinent to something they had written, and I recall that both replied politely with thanks on each occasion.

Returning to the kidnapping story, in this video, an attorney working on the migrants' case says that DHS agents worked with DeSantis's team in what seems to be a deliberate ploy to get these migrants deported: they listed false addresses for the migrants and gave them instructions that they needed to report by as early as three days from now at the immigration agency closest to the address listed, so that, for example, some of these migrants that DeSantis shipped to Martha's Vinyard in Massachusetts are supposed to report Monday to an immigration office in Tacoma, Washington.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

And also, I guess illegal immigration isn't a big problem in Florida, if DeSantis had to send agents to Texas to find people to smuggle?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote: It's possible they aren't creative enough for any other kind. Or they assume their intended audience will not cheer and applaud if they weren't cartoonish.
Edited as I just realized that my original content was already shared by NE. But there's always more.

27-year-old migrant says he was paid to help fill Martha’s Vineyard flight
A 27-year-old Venezuelan migrant told the San Antonio Report Thursday he was paid $200 in cash to recruit people from outside San Antonio’s migrant resource center to board a flight that landed at Martha’s Vineyard Wednesday.

Emmanuel, who declined to give a reporter his last name, said a woman he knows as “Perla” told him she wanted to send migrants to “sanctuary states” where the government has more resources to help them.

He said he gave Perla contact information for about 10 migrants he met near the migrant center.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

I think I'll put this here. This speech by Attorney General Merrick Garland is very worth reading.

Attorney General Merrick B. Garland Administers the Oath of Allegiance and Delivers Congratulatory Remarks at Ellis Island Ceremony in Celebration of Constitution Week and Citizenship Day
It is my great honor to welcome you as the newest citizens of the United States of America. Congratulations! Please be seated.

Just now, each of you took an oath of allegiance to the United States. In so doing, you took your place alongside generations who came before you, many through this very building, seeking protection, freedom, and opportunity.

This country – your country – wholeheartedly welcomes you.

I know that you have made sacrifices in order to be here today. You should be proud of all you have accomplished. I am proud of you.

You have made the decision to become Americans not only at an important time in our country’s history, but on an important day.

It was 235 years ago on this day, September 17, 1787, that 39 delegates to the Constitutional Convention representing 12 states signed their names to the Constitution of the United States.

Like you, those who signed the Constitution were relatively new Americans. In fact, America had only existed for 11 years at that point.

Like you, those Americans had great hopes for their own future – and for the future of their new country.

In the preamble of the Constitution, those Americans enumerated those hopes: to form a more perfect union; establish justice; ensure domestic tranquility; provide for the common defense; promote the general welfare …

And importantly – in their words – “to secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.”

Like them, each of you has now made a commitment not only to this nation and your fellow Americans, but to the generations of Americans who will come after you.

In that commitment, you have given your posterity – and the posterity of all of us – a precious gift.

I know how valuable that gift is because it is the same one my grandparents gave my family and me.

I come from a family of immigrants who fled religious persecution early in the 20th Century and sought refuge here in the United States. Some of my family entered right here, at Ellis Island.

My grandmother was one of five children born in what is now Belarus. Three made it to the United States, including my grandmother who came through the Port of Baltimore.

Two did not make it. Those two were killed in the Holocaust.

If not for America, there is little doubt that the same would have happened to my grandmother.

But this country took her in. And under the protection of our laws, she was able to live without fear of persecution.

I am also married to the daughter of an immigrant who came through the Port of New York in 1938.

Shortly after Hitler’s army entered Austria that year, my wife’s mother escaped to the United States. Under the protection of our laws, she too, was able to live without fear of persecution.

That protection is what distinguishes America from so many other countries. The protection of law – the Rule of Law – is the foundation of our system of government.

The Rule of Law means that the same laws apply to all of us, regardless of whether we are this country’s newest citizens or whether our [families] have been here for generations.

The Rule of Law means that the law treats each of us alike: there is not one rule for friends, another for foes; one rule for the powerful, another for the powerless; a rule for the rich, another for the poor; or different rules, depending upon one’s race or ethnicity or country of origin.

The Rule of Law means that we are all protected in the exercise of our civil rights; in our freedom to worship and think as we please; and in the peaceful expression of our opinions, our beliefs, and our ideas.

Of course, we still have work to do to make a more perfect union. Although the Rule of Law has always been our guiding light, we have not always been faithful to it.

The Rule of Law is not assured. It is fragile. It demands constant effort and vigilance.

The responsibility to ensure the Rule of Law is and has been the duty of every generation in our country’s history. It is now your duty as well. And it is one that is especially urgent today at a time of intense polarization in America.

The United States is no stranger to what our Founders called the risk of faction. Alexander Hamilton and James Madison wrote about it in the Federalist Papers. George Washington warned against it in his Farewell Address.

Overcoming the current polarization in our public life is, and will continue to be, a difficult task.

But we cannot overcome it by ignoring it. We must address the fractures in our society with honesty, with humility, and with respect for the Rule of Law.

This demands that we tolerate peaceful disagreement with one another on issues of politics and policy. It demands that we listen to each other, even when we disagree. And it demands that we reject violence and threats of violence that endanger each other and endanger our democracy.

We must not allow the fractures between us to fracture our democracy.

We are all in this together. We are all Americans.

On this historic day and in this historic place, let us make a promise that each of us will protect each other and our democracy.

That we will honor and defend our Constitution.

That we will recognize and respect the dignity of our fellow Americans.

That we will uphold the Rule of Law and seek to make real the promise of equal justice under law.

That we will do what is right, even if that means doing what is difficult.

And that we will do these things not only for ourselves, but for the generations of Americans who will come after us.

I have often thought about what members of my family felt as they came through buildings like this. And I have often thought about what their decisions meant for my own life.

My family story is what motivated me to choose a career in public service. I wanted to repay my country for taking my family in when they had nowhere else to go. I wanted to repay the debt my family owes this country for our very lives.

My family members who immigrated here have now long since passed. I regret that I cannot express to them how grateful I am for the gift they gave me in choosing to come to this country.

So let me thank each of you.

Thank you for choosing America as your home. Thank you for the courage, dedication and work that has brought you here.

Thank you for all you will do to help our country live up to its highest ideals.

Thank you on behalf of a nation that is fortunate to call you as its citizens.

And thank you upon on behalf of the generations of Americans who will come after you. Thank you.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Ken Burns' latest documentary is quite timely.

U.S. and the Holocaust
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:09 am Ken Burns' latest documentary is quite timely.

U.S. and the Holocaust
Ken Burns is a wonderful documentary maker. Would very much like to see that!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sunsilver wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:44 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:09 am Ken Burns' latest documentary is quite timely.

U.S. and the Holocaust
Ken Burns is a wonderful documentary maker. Would very much like to see that!
Yes, I've started watching it in parts. It's long. Well done (as expected).
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

@BexarCoSheriff wrote:The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office has opened an investigation into the migrants that were lured from the Migrant Resource Center, located in Bexar County, TX, and flown to Florida, where they were ultimately left to fend for themselves in Martha’s Vineyard, MA.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:23 am
@BexarCoSheriff wrote:The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office has opened an investigation into the migrants that were lured from the Migrant Resource Center, located in Bexar County, TX, and flown to Florida, where they were ultimately left to fend for themselves in Martha’s Vineyard, MA.
And now the migrants who were shipped to Massachusetts have filed a class action lawsuit against Gov. DeSantis.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

People did say that it was a mistake to drop them in the most lawyer-dense neighborhood in the US.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

Post by Dave_LF »

Charges and lawsuits would be a feature, not a bug. Feeds the persecution complex.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Gov. DeSantis says the reason he kidnapped migrants from Texas rather than his own state of Florida is that:

"The problem is we’re not seeing mass movements of them into Florida . . . It’s just coming in onesie-twosies."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

U.S. and the Holocaust
Recorded the first two eps on PBS tonight! When a senator cited the Statue of Liberty poem as a reason the United States should be letting in more Jewish immigrants/refugees after Hitler came to power in 1933, another replied, well, we may preach that, but we don't really practice it.

Have heard just about those exact words during the last few years... :roll:

Also, had forgotten Charles Lindberg was such a horrible racist person!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The DeSantis affair is such a cluster 🦆 that I lost track of what's been posted here already.

The linked Intercept article is paywalled.