Allen Lee and Christopher Tolkien on Ents in the Movies

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Allen Lee and Christopher Tolkien on Ents in the Movies

Post by TolkienJRR »

I was wondering if anyone knew if Christoper Tolkien or Allen Lee made any comments either positive or negative on the dedication of the Ents in the movies?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Allen Lee and Christopher Tolkien on Ents in the Movies

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't think that Christopher Tolkien had any positive things to say about any aspect of the films. Alan Lee, of course, was one of the designers responsible for the look of the films, including the Ents.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Re: Allen Lee and Christopher Tolkien on Ents in the Movies

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't think that Christopher Tolkien had any positive things to say about any aspect of the films. Alan Lee, of course, was one of the designers responsible for the look of the films, including the Ents.

I was watching the extras to the two towards yesterday and it it had nothing about his involvement in the artwork of the ents. Of course that does not mean he was not involved either.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien