Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Impeachment

Post by RoseMorninStar »

yovargas wrote:Wonder why he voted yes on abuse of power but not on obstruction.
I wondered this too.. he refrained from voting on that at all, didn't he? It would be my (very uneducated) guess that Romney considered the abuse of power THE bridge too far and wanted to make the strongest statement possible rather than having it 'watered down' with everything else.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

No, he voted no on obstruction but yest on abuse of power
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... sults.html
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Trump's people are releasing some nasty ads. This sort of proves out the rumors that the GOP Senators were under threat to acquit or see their heads on pikes. The GOP pearl-clutching over the public statements about those rumors looks kind of cute now that one of their number voted his conscience and is now, with POTUS in the lead, getting publicly pilloried for it.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

River wrote:Trump's people are releasing some nasty ads. This sort of proves out the rumors that the GOP Senators were under threat to acquit or see their heads on pikes. The GOP pearl-clutching over the public statements about those rumors looks kind of cute now that one of their number voted his conscience and is now, with POTUS in the lead, getting publicly pilloried for it.
Yep. Kinda like... oh, you didn't like the rumor? Why are you working so hard to confirm it then!?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Trump, Jr. and others have called for Romney to be "expelled" from the Republican Party. To their credit, several GOP senators, even including McConnell, have come to his defense.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Anyone mind a little humour in the thread? :)

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2020/ ... ty-people/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

That article seems to edge some place between humor and simple truth.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I'd like to see someone ask Susan Collins whether she still thinks Trump has learned his lesson after hearing him talk today.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'd like to see someone ask Susan Collins whether she still thinks Trump has learned his lesson after hearing him talk today.
I'm still not sure what lesson she thought he would learn other than "you can do whatever you want and we'll let you get away with it." In which case, she was right, he did learn a very powerful lesson. Sadly.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

She can ponder the question at her leisure next year, after the Mainiacs vote her out of office in November.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:She can ponder the question at her leisure next year, after the Mainiacs vote her out of office in November.
I'm not that optimistic.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

There's plenty of things that I am not optimistic about. That one I am.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you want to support the Democrat challenging Collins, you can do it at https://saragideon.com
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Collins wasn't the only one bleating about Trump learning a lesson from all this. I suspect it was something White House aides were spewing to bring GOP Senators into line. I wonder if the ones who bought it were willfully blind or just optimistic to the point of being foolish. Trump likes to project a weak person's idea of strength and that performace doesn't allow for apologies, contrition, or learning.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have wanted to see it as optimistic (same for Trump's followers) but I now believe it has to be willful blindness. They've made a deal (I won't say 'with the devil') but with someone who is unscrupulous and lacking in honor and honesty and they are fine with the deal they've made knowing it lacks honor and honesty.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/politics ... index.html

A truly sickening compilation of some of his worst statements from his "exoneration" speech.

But it goes on to condemn the crowd
Seriously? Does Mike Lee actually believe that his Utah colleague was using religion as a "crutch" to justify a vote against Trump? And that the real reason Romney voted to convict on the abuse of power charge is because "things can happen when you fail so badly running for president?"

Does McConnell believe that? Does McCarthy think that Pelosi actually doesn't pray at all? Or that Democrats want to "destroy" our country? Or that the leadership of the FBI is "top scum?" Or that the investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election was "evil" and "corrupt?"

I can't believe that they do. And if they don't, then something far worse is at play here. They are willing to suspend their principles and beliefs and acquiesce to Trump's wild claims solely because it is good for their own personal politics. That taking a stand against Trump's absolute smashing of presidential norms isn't worth the political pain it might cause them.

That was the worst part of watching Trump on Thursday. That every single person in that room smiled and laughed and, uh, celebrated, as though what Trump was saying was even close to normal behavior. It wasn't. None of it.
:help:
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Both Col. Vindman and Ambassador Sondland were fired today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/gordon ... 020-02-07/

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I wonder if that's the lesson: "Don't get caught."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wonder how Sondland feels about those donations to Trump now.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And Vindman's brother.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!