News from Bree and other random discussions

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: News from Bree and other random discussions

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

With all due respect, I find the idea that I or anyone would create a Wikipedia page about themselves shocking and disturbing Suffice it to say I would never consider doing that, and I would never want someone that knows me that knows me to create one about me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I know what you mean.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank you. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I received an updated newsletter on the possible Hobbiton Stay Wisconsin and in part it read:
I suppose I can also address the Elephant in the room that is the Naming Rights. The owner "at the Moment " Middleearth.com has been historically very protective of Tolkien's reputation and quality of products associated with his works. I applaud them for this; it protects his Legacy. I strive to be worthy of this honor. We do not plan to have a movie gift shop but to support artists and artisans who build everyday items with no labels. All we are looking to do is use names from Tolkien's writings. If they bestow that charge on us, we will be custodians of his Legacy and treat it as such. However, if we are denied, it does not affect the progress of this project. There are two other possibilities. First, we are a creative bunch, and we can come up with our own names. Especially since Tolkein even mentioned a sister city right down the river from Hobbiton. So the future of the project does not depend on the naming rights. The second possibility is, the owner of middleearth.com has decided to sell his stewardship of Tokens legacy. The movie rights and naming rights are both included. So after the sale is complete, we can approach the new stewards and see if there more amenable to our request. But that may take some time.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Although it's not widely-known among Tolkien scholars, during the Second Age Celebrimbor operated a lesser studio on Dundas Street, Edinburgh.
Ringmaker.jpg
Ringmaker.jpg (188.55 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:shock:
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Light a candle for ADT Security, stuck trying to keep out an angry Dark Lord.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Rofl.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Does anyone here travel internationally for business? Is it customary or appropriate for an employer to ask to keep a copy of your passport on file?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Rose, we do. However given that we are immigrants, our employers have always have had our passports on file. And million other things.

I don’t think it’s a cause for concern?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, from what I could find it seems customary especially in the UK. My daughter's employer is headquartered in the UK.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has anyone explored the hypothesis that athelas is cannabis?

"Grows but in waste places, and at roadsides, and along hedges. The very best medicine for healing."

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Someone has thought of it because there's a company in Denver called Athelas. 'A boutique manufacturing company that specializes in natural cannabis-infused powdered mixes.'

That's very interesting. Cannabis wasn't in common use when Tolkien would have written LOTR but he more than most might have been aware of such manuscripts.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Frelga wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:12 pm Has anyone explored the hypothesis that athelas is cannabis?

"Grows but in waste places, and at roadsides, and along hedges. The very best medicine for healing."
It's possible that Tolkien did know of it as the English were aware of cannabis from their vast colonial lands. They even had an 'Indian Hemp Drug Commission' that issued a report on cannabis and opium uses and usage.

I wrote a fanfic suggesting that once. Had fun with the whole 'Athelas is cannabis while Pipeweed is tobacco' mindset. The lore could fit, but suggesting it in discussions really gets the ire up in some self-proclaimed 'Tolkienists'. :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It appears Hobbiton Stay Wisconsin may have gotten some legal advice &/or permissions (?) They will officially be called 'Tibbleborrow of the Shire'. The restaurant/pub will be called 'The Merry Mushroom'.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It looks lovely, Rose. Are you going?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

If they've received permissions, they don't say so on their website, which is very strange. As for legal advice, it is pretty clearly in violation of the rights held by Tolkien Enterprises, and possibly the Tolkien Estate as well. My best guess is that they have not gotten permission and they will get shut down and probably have to pay a pretty penny. But I could be wrong.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga: The project is in the planning stages. I've been keeping an eye on it because, should it come to fruition, it will likely be within an hour of my home. I am not financially invested.

V: As you know I have no legal expertise. A couple months ago I contacted the woman who is spearheading this project and she said she was working with a legal team. I think somewhere on FB or the website/blog it says they have no interest in the movies or selling movie merchandise and that they intend to focus on hand-made artisan (non-branded) items. I doubt 'Tibbleborrow' or 'Merry's Mushrooms' is copy-written (which is why I presumed they changed the name). It makes me 'twitchy' that they use many photos from the films on their websites though. Time will tell.

There are other 'Hobbiton'/Hobbit/Shire house rentals/air B&B's around the world. There's a Pippin's tavern in Chicago that's been there since the 1970's. For decades there was a tavern in our town called 'Bagg end' that was shire themed.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

If anyone is in the Milwaukee area between now & Dec. 23 there is a Tolkien manuscript exhibit. Someone told me the items were up for sale, but I'm highly doubtful/couldn't find anything stating that. J.R.R. Tolkien: The Art of the Manuscript
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh that looks lovely. Hopefully it will travel to my shores too.