The Kavanaugh controversy

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Kavanaugh controversy

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm listening to Sen. Collins speak. She hasn't said so yet, but she is definitely going to vote yes.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yov, I would guess they're responding to the partisan nature of the battle, rather than expressing enthusiasm for sexual assault.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

No doubt.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:No doubt.
Was that sarcasm? I couldn't tell.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm listening to Sen. Collins speak. She hasn't said so yet, but she is definitely going to vote yes.
Agreed. :nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:
Not at all. I agree with Cerin that it is almost certainly about partisan tribalism than anything else. It's just a damn us vs them game to most people. Rah Rah, go team.

UGH.
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I'm impressed by Collins. She articulated the presumption of innocence dilemma well.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Yep, she just indicated she would vote yes.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:
Not at all. I agree with Cerin that it is almost certainly about partisan tribalism than anything else. It's just a damn us vs them game to most people. Rah Rah, go team.

UGH.
Well, if being us requires overlooking sexual assault and belligerent drinking for, let me repeat, a lifetime position of supreme power, instead of appointing a different candidate, then I'll be over there with the them.

And before I take another stab at staying out of this forum - I would not be surprised if supporting a man accused of sexual assault does have something to do with the increased support among Republicans. Power over women's bodies has long been part of the perks package of "successful" men. How many men are now worried about their own actions suddenly having consequences?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:How many men are now worried about their own actions suddenly having consequences?
A fear stoked by the President who thinks this is a scary time for men - for sons and husbands. Yeah, let's not consider how terrifying it has always been for women, wives, and daughters.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Manchin also put out a statement confirming that he will vote yes, so it is definitely a done deal.

Based on Collins' comments, I would say that there is a very good chance that the nomination would not have gone through if Avenatti had not gotten involved.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... 6c5d59ca7a

Interesting take on the FBI investigation being kept concealed.
was a 2020 planner.

IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

If you didn't listen to Susan Collin's statement, you should. Her support of Kavanaugh is secondary. After the insanity of the last few weeks, she spoke in favor of order and justice in carrying out the responsibilities of government, as opposed to unsupported accusations and mob rule. It has been many decades since I have heard a politician make such an eloguent and reasoned statement.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

One wonders how the Republicans and Democrats could come away with such different views of the same report. I think it could only mean that whatever Warren is talking about doesn't have to do with the main allegations, which is what concerned Republicans and apparently the FBI.

What interests me more is that a Republican Senator said that things in the report made him very angry. I wonder if that has to do with the FBI looking into who talked to whom about what. (Sorry, I don't remember where I read that.)
Voronwë the Faithful

IdylleSeethes wrote:If you didn't listen to Susan Collin's statement, you should. Her support of Kavanaugh is secondary. After the insanity of the last few weeks, she spoke in favor of order and justice in carrying out the responsibilities of government, as opposed to unsupported accusations and mob rule. It has been many decades since I have heard a politician make such an eloguent and reasoned statement.

Anyone who knows Susan Collins should have known that the kind of pressure tactics that opponents of the nomination used was the best way to get her to vote for the nomination. She is a typically stubborn, independent Mainiac (I say that with love in my heart, having lived with a typically stubborn, independent Mainiac for the past almost 33 years). I thought her defense of Judge Kavanaugh's judicial record, while detailed and well-researched, was cherry-picked and frankly naive, and I think she may come to regret it when he proves to be the deciding vote on many of the very issues that she cited. I also came away from her comments convinced that any chance of the accusations of sexual misconduct derailing his nomination ended when Michael Avenatti got involved. Whether or not Julie Swetnick's allegations had any merit, the way he presented them was so ridiculous and outside the bounds of legal ethics that it was bound to disgust someone like Sen. Collins, and that was very apparent in her comments.
Cerin wrote:One wonders how the Republicans and Democrats could come away with such different views of the same report.
One is left to wonder, since the report is and will be kept out of the public view. It seems odd, if the report is so exculpatory, why the Republicans are so determined to keep it private.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:One is left to wonder, since the report is and will be kept out of the public view. It seems odd, if the report is so exculpatory, why the Republicans are so determined to keep it private.
I wonder if there is a chance it'll be made public after November, if the majority shifts.

But I also have little expectation of much changing except to continue the downward spiral.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

elengil wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:One is left to wonder, since the report is and will be kept out of the public view. It seems odd, if the report is so exculpatory, why the Republicans are so determined to keep it private.
I wonder if there is a chance it'll be made public after November, if the majority shifts.
Doubtful, even in the increasingly unlikely event that the Democrats take back the Senate. As I understand it, the justification for keeping the report private is a memorandum of understanding that had previously been entered into between the Senate and the executive branch. In order to release the report both the Senate and the administration would need to agree to amend the MOU. Even if the Senate agreed to amend it, I doubt the president would.

However what is more likely is that the Democrats take back the House and initiate their own investigation.

ETA: I saw this right after I posted that: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4101 ... -house?amp

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It might have been better to keep that under wraps. I could see that promise/threat being used to turn out the Republican vote.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For once I agree with Cerin. Any threat that begins with an if is an empty threat.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Well, if being us requires overlooking sexual assault and belligerent drinking for, let me repeat, a lifetime position of supreme power, instead of appointing a different candidate, then I'll be over there with the them.
Which would be great if you are convinced to that your team would not behave similarly if the situations were flipped. I am not especially convinced of that.
Last edited by yovargas on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists