World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: World News Thread

Post by Inanna »

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The Pirate Party joined with some other minority parties (Secular Party, Science Party, Climate Justice Party and Vote Planet Party) to form the new FUSION party, which has a surprisingly rational, progressive platform.

My democracy sausage this morning was vegetarian, with fried onions and mustard.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yum. Was it good, Imp?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

As well as postal votes, the Australian Electoral Commission opens a number of booths in each electorate for early or pre-polling, to allow electors who are unable to get to a voting booth on election day to vote in advance. Early voting usually opens two weeks before election day.

The AEC also offers mobile voting in residential aged care centres and remote areas of Australia; telephone voting is available for people with low vision and for those who are Covid-19 positive and in isolation.

EDIT - it was a good sausage! (and I was hungry, having skipped breakfast)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

As well as postal votes, the Australian Electoral Commission opens a number of booths in each electorate for early or pre-polling, to allow electors who are unable to get to a voting booth on election day to vote in advance. Early voting usually opens two weeks before election day.

The AEC also offers mobile voting in residential aged care centres and remote areas of Australia; telephone voting is available for people with low vision and for those who are Covid-19 positive and in isolation.

EDIT - it was a good sausage! (and I was hungry, having skipped breakfast)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This election has been wild. The vote has fractured all over the place and it's turned into something of a battle royale of individual fistfights between Labor, Coalition, Greens, Teal Independents, non-Teal Independents, and assorted other candidates seat-by-seat across the country. It is shaping up as a re-aligning election although we've got no idea what it's re-aligning to. That said, the Government has been defeated and Anthony Albanese will be Australia's 31st prime minister. The question now is whether he'll lead a minority or majority government. Based on early results from the west a majority is looking very possible.

Edit: I'm surprised the sausage was good, every vegan sausage I've tried has been godawful. Maybe they're improving over time.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Hunger, fried onions and mustard may have influenced me ;) .
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Australian elections sound entertaining. I hope whomever wins does right by Australia!

Sorry.. but what is written on the back of those trunks? It's quite distracting. Not that I'm complaining. :D I doubt that would be allowed at our polling place.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:13 pm Australian elections sound entertaining. I hope whomever wins does right by Australia!

Sorry.. but what is written on the back of those trunks? It's quite distracting. Not that I'm complaining. :D I doubt that would be allowed at our polling place.
Yeah... it's the writing that's distracting... :halo:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 pm Yeah... it's the writing that's distracting... :halo:
Yes, because the rest is attractive. =:)

Impish, was the sausage offered by a Fair Go Dibbler?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

OK. So I had to look it up. Turns out dressing in swimwear was a thing? even on a cold day. The trunks on the man (above) in question says 'budgie smuggler' erm.. which .. I wonder if that means something different in Australia...? :scratch:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tates.html
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Budgie smuggler refers to the er...lump in the front of the crotch that's visible when men wear this type of swim trunks.

This swimmer has some strategically placed advertising: :rofl:
Attachments
gas advert on swim suit.jpg
gas advert on swim suit.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, yes, I knew the traditional meaning of Budgie smuggler but I didn't know if it was.. I dunno.. something else like a tongue-in-cheek (heh) nickname for the pirate party or something. I didn't understand the why/purpose of people voting in swimwear. But it was fun! :)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

U.K. news has dropped off the radar a little post-Brexit and following Jeremy Corbyn's departure as Labour leader but Boris Johnson is now facing a no-confidence vote over holding parties during COVID-lockdown. Nothing yet on how many votes the challengers are likely to have, or who would replace him if the motion is carried.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

How much do elections in the UK affect other countries in the Commonwealth?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Zero.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

From The Guardian's live updates:
Boris Johnson wins confidence vote by 211 votes to 148

Sir Graham Brady, chair of the Conservative 1922 Committee, says 359 votes were cast. There were no spoilt ballots.

Confidence in Boris Johnson: 211

No confidence in Johnson: 148

That means more than 40% of Tory MPs voted against Johnson.
The BBC's anchors point out that this is a narrower margin of victory than Theresa May got from Tory MPs in December 2018, and she announced her resignation six months later.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So this is a yes confidence outcome?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Yeah, Johnson gets to remain Leader of the Conservative Party and therefore also Prime Minister.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

He has won, although with 41% of the party room voting against him in a challenge with no obvious challenger it's hard to see how he has much of a long-term future. As Eldy pointed out, past PMs who've had these sorts of numbers haven't lasted much longer.