Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by River »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:01 pm Oh dear lord.. hubby watches Tesla videos.. all. of. the. time. He is fascinated by the construction of their facilities, etc.. and he could discuss Tesla/SpaceX all day long. :help: (Please make it go away!)
LOL. Mine moved on after we bought the car and moved on more after Musk bought Twitter. In fact, we're both getting worried about Tesla because the share price has been dropping since Musk bought Twitter. It's a good car and we're not sure there's a better EV on the market (probably because Tesla invested in batteries and owns the IP for really good ones).

Now, that said, the software that runs the car is constantly gettgin patched and updated because the cars sometimes decided to do things like roll the windows down for no reason or reset the thermostats. There was one build where the automatic steering correction would apply itself over nothing I could see, and I wasn't in autopilot mode. The self-driving, which we didn't buy has never worked as advertised and in fact the company is under federal investigation over it.

Now, as far as who gets what assignments and the more junior people getting the low-hanging fruit, we've got that dynamic going in my group as well. The stronger, more tested scientists get the heavier lifts. The more experienced ones train the n00bs. I tend to get embroiled in the phenomenally weird shit. If you want to measure productivity by, say, notebook pages, I've had a crap year because the weird shit I've been eyeballs deep in heavy on the computation and light on the bench work. If you measure it in terms of deliverables delivered on schedule I've done better. The lightened benchwork is not necessarily my preference (I am a labrat) but I ended up here because I'm the only one who can understand the weird shit. I'm trying to fix that because the weird shit I've been working on is actually very important and it's not sustainable to have no back up but that's how it is right now.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:45 am
Sunsilver wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:33 pm
Alatar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:54 pm I thought this was quite amusing :)

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2021/ ... war-crime/ Britain Proud Of Never Having Committed Single War Crime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, yeah, the British version of The Onion... :rofl:

Ahem. Irish.
My apologies! Especially given what the English did to the Irish in the past... :x I don't think you'd be too far wrong to qualify some of those things as 'war crimes'. :shock:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:53 pm
RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:01 pm Oh dear lord.. hubby watches Tesla videos.. all. of. the. time. He is fascinated by the construction of their facilities, etc.. and he could discuss Tesla/SpaceX all day long. :help: (Please make it go away!)
LOL. Mine moved on after we bought the car and moved on more after Musk bought Twitter. In fact, we're both getting worried about Tesla because the share price has been dropping since Musk bought Twitter. It's a good car and we're not sure there's a better EV on the market (probably because Tesla invested in batteries and owns the IP for really good ones).
(...)

Now, as far as who gets what assignments and the more junior people getting the low-hanging fruit, we've got that dynamic going in my group as well. The stronger, more tested scientists get the heavier lifts. The more experienced ones train the n00bs. I tend to get embroiled in the phenomenally weird shit. If you want to measure productivity by, say, notebook pages, I've had a crap year because the weird shit I've been eyeballs deep in heavy on the computation and light on the bench work. If you measure it in terms of deliverables delivered on schedule I've done better. The lightened benchwork is not necessarily my preference (I am a labrat) but I ended up here because I'm the only one who can understand the weird shit. I'm trying to fix that because the weird shit I've been working on is actually very important and it's not sustainable to have no back up but that's how it is right now.
As someone who has worked around electricity all of his adult life hubby has always been interested in electric &/or renewable energy. He invested in Tesla and he's terribly upset with Musk's antics and wish he'd go away. He doesn't even want to hear about Twitter. Part of the issue with Musk is that he is generally not motivated by money (at least not in the traditional sense) and not terribly concerned about investors/stocks.

As for 'weird shit' work and experienced workers vs. volume of easier stuff; if those at the top can't register the importance/difference they don't deserve to be 'at the top' of anything.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Teslas may or may not be good cars, but the factories are one of the worst workplaces in the countries in terms of racial harassment and discrimination of African-Americans. Which may or may not be a reflection on Elon Musk.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:22 pm Teslas may or may not be good cars, but the factories are one of the worst workplaces in the countries in terms of racial harassment and discrimination of African-Americans. Which may or may not be a reflection on Elon Musk.
Yes, I've heard this and it's beyond sad, and upsetting to those who are into electric vehicles and want them to succeed. It will eventually hurt the 'brand'. The target consumers of such vehicles - those who are concerned about greener energy, who tend to lean democratic and care about working conditions/diversity.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Probably best not to read this thread if you already own a Tesla...

Also. As the youths say, where is the lie?
Screenshot_20221109-202420.jpg
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sorta torn between “Musk is killing Twitter to help Putin,” “Musk is killing Twitter to thwart Putin,” and “Musk is an utter tool who has no clue what he’s doing.”
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I'll take option (c). Musk lost any benefit of the doubt in my mind about his tool status years ago. Even before his antics during the Thai cave rescue, but those were an especially high-profile example.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I also choose option (c).

He's got Asperger's. Diagnosed. That leads to all kinds of issues. Such people think differently and do not understand social cues and aren't good readers of deception, lies, and manipulation. It may explain why, when he sees something on the internet he believes it to be true even if it's a wild conspiracy theory. That said, he KNOWS this and is certainly intelligent enough to realize when he should keep his mouth shut and fact check.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Yeah #3 is way in the lead.

I don’t know what I’ll do if Twitter dies. I might be left with no choice but to experience reduced exposure to Russian propaganda and improved mental health.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile over on Tumblr, you can pay 7.99 and get TWO blue checkmarks. And you can keep buying more. Tumblr says upfront they mean absolutely nothing and can turn into a bunch of crabs at any time (I believe it's a reference but I don't know to what). This may be the most refined form of trolling in the internet history.

Edit: Although paying $8 to get a blue check to spoof an official brand account is up there, too. I suggest you read this thread quickly before it's taken down.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The crabs is a reference to, I want to say, April Fool's Day? When you could 'summon' a 🦀 in your browser screen in seemingly infinite amounts until the only thing limiting your ability to summon more was they obscured the button you had to hit.

There was more to it but people genuinely loved their crabs. Alas, they were gone the next day, but it was a Thing.

Then they brought them back as a gift you could buy other people - 24 hour dash crabs. For like... I dunno 2 bucks or something.

So yes, the reference to the checkmarks turning into crabs is very much a reference to something that is near and dear to tumblrs hearts.

However I will point out that while you can, indeed, buy 2 - yes TWO - check marks for 8 bucks on tumblr, you are not in fact limited to buying 2, you can buy I think up to 24? So they stack. Which is objectively hilarious in the context of people buying them not because they mean anything or do anything or even to support tumblr, they're buying them to send a huge FU to Musk. Nothing motivates people quite like spite.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Amazing thread there, Frelga. The fake accounts "apologizing" for other fake accounts thing is some *chef's kiss* trolling.

(Bloomberg confirmed Wheeler did indeed un-resign.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Aaaand the paid verification feature of Twitter Blue has been suspended, giving it a lifespan of about half a Scaramucci.

At this point, all that keeps Twitter plebs like myself around is making popcorn on the dumpster fire.
Dave_LF wrote:Sorta torn between “Musk is killing Twitter to help Putin,” “Musk is killing Twitter to thwart Putin,” and “Musk is an utter tool who has no clue what he’s doing.”
My suspicious side wants to go with a) but my logical side goes with c). As someone on Twitter said, this is like a movie about the world's biggest midlife crisis from the POV of the car.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

So Twitter introduced a new grey checkmark that revives the old verified status, then Musk "killed it" a few hours later, but now they're back again. What a ride.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think the current and evolving Twitter situation is best approached with Hanlon's razor in hand: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Though in Musk's case I'd swap "stupidity" with "incompetence".

Obviously it sucks to be at Twitter right now but if I were at Tesla or SpaceX or any other of Musk's companies I'd be looking at this and polishing up my resume.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oh, I think there is a fair amount of malice mixed in with the incompetence.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

And an (un?) healthy dollop of arrogance.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Malice laid off competence.

Exhibit I don't even know.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can't imagine any investor (of Tesla/SpaceX, etc.. ) watching this massive incompetence playing out and having any confidence in Musk. The acquisition of Twitter was exclusively his impulsivity wrapped in arrogance doused in ignorance overlaid with Malice wrapped inside a God complex. Or something.