Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:23 am This is not a criminal case.
Quite so. But there was a "holy @#$%" moment in today's proceedings that could have criminal ramifications. Two weeks ago, Alex Jones's attorneys accidentally gave the plaintiffs' attorneys what appear to be all texts on Jones's phone from the past three years. The plaintiff's attorneys upon discovering this promptly informed Jones's attorneys of this and then waited ten days for Jones's attorneys to claim privilege. They didn't, and so we got to a point today in which the plaintiffs' attorneys reminded Jones that he does have the right to invoke the Fifth Amendment.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga posted about that, but in wrong thread. I'm going to move her posts here so that they are consolidated.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:58 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:23 am This is not a criminal case.
Quite so. But there was a "holy @#$%" moment in today's proceedings that could have criminal ramifications. Two weeks ago, Alex Jones's attorneys accidentally gave the plaintiffs' attorneys what appear to be all texts on Jones's phone from the past three years. The plaintiff's attorneys upon discovering this promptly informed Jones's attorneys of this and then waited ten days for Jones's attorneys to claim privilege. They didn't, and so we got to a point today in which the plaintiffs' attorneys reminded Jones that he does have the right to invoke the Fifth Amendment.
:shock:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Amazing.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's been pointed out that the contents of that phone may be of interest to the 1/6 committee...

I watched the 2 minute video of the courtroom moment and it really is wilder than anything I've seen on TV. In TV courtroom dramas, attorneys are not allowed evil chuckles, for example.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Dave_LF »

Either the accident was no accident, or a far right jackass hired near-literal clowns as lawyers. It says something that I can’t decide which explanation is more likely.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Frelga wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:12 pmIn TV courtroom dramas, attorneys are not allowed evil chuckles, for example.
Wow, you weren't kidding. :rofl:

This judge has clearly had enough, too.

Voronwë the Faithful

"Just because you claim that you believe that something is true, does not make it true."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Dave_LF wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:15 pm Either the accident was no accident, or a far right jackass hired near-literal clowns as lawyers. It says something that I can’t decide which explanation is more likely.
Dave, I've wondered about the possibility of it having been 'accidentally on purpose'. I've heard Jones has been through something like 11 lawyers. Maybe the c*** he is trying to dish out is just too much for any of them, so one of them decided to leak the texts.
Some lawyers do have morals/hearts, and two of the Sandy Hook parents have committed suicide as a result of Jones's conspiracy theory. :rage:
Frelga wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:12 pm
In TV courtroom dramas, attorneys are not allowed evil chuckles, for example.
Definitely allowing myself an evil chuckle!

And as one Twitter member commented, "After what's been happening here and in the Jan 6th trial, I don't ever want to hear another word of complaint about Hilary's e-mails!"
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow.
Voronwë the Faithful

It is almost impossible that it was not accidentally on purpose, in my opinion.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

To lend support to that theory, apparently the plaintiff's attorneys contacted Jones's legal team after receiving the phone contents and Jones's attorneys did not exert any privilege over the material.

I haven't been following this anywhere nearly as closely as some, but I'm getting the feeling that Jones is the type that doesn't understand the difference between fact and fiction. He was sounding off about the trial on his podcast just a couple days ago, literally the morning after he made a bunch of contrite noises in court.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

River wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:41 am I haven't been following this anywhere nearly as closely as some, but I'm getting the feeling that Jones is the type that doesn't understand the difference between fact and fiction. He was sounding off about the trial on his podcast just a couple days ago, literally the morning after he made a bunch of contrite noises in court.
LOL! I've heard it said his middle name is 'Trump'. When Trump was going through his bankruptcies, his lawyers would only meet with him in pairs, because he played so fast and loose with the truth! (And, of course, nothing has changed...)
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ke ... .ccRn3znv6
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:41 am I haven't been following this anywhere nearly as closely as some, but I'm getting the feeling that Jones is the type that doesn't understand the difference between fact and fiction. He was sounding off about the trial on his podcast just a couple days ago, literally the morning after he made a bunch of contrite noises in court.
I have a feeling his texts are going to show the opposite, that he knows exactly what he's saying and knows it's not true. It will be another one of those 'no one would take what I say seriously.. it's just entertainment!'
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I see some speculation that Jones' attorneys couldn't have claimed privilege without revealing that they'd withheld stuff they were supposed to share in the first place, but that sort of argument is beyond my ken. And it still wouldn't explain why they didn't fill Jones in on what was happening.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Most "experts" seem to think that no lawyer would do that on purpose, so it's interesting that an actual lawyer thinks they might have.

The impression I get is that they were supposed to have turned over the texts and emails in discovery, or perhaps just the ones that referred to Sandi Hook, or were sent to the plaintiffs. They could have claimed that the communication with them was privileged, but I don't know what else they could have withheld.

The real issue seems to be that once they knew the other team had the text, they didn't stop their client from lying under oath. Maybe they tried. He is the kind who thinks consequences are for other people.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The jury found that Alex Jones must pay $4.1 million in compensatory to Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, the parents of Jesse Lewis, who was killed in the Sandy Hook shooting. The jury still has to determine punitive damagers, but because the jury was not unanimous (the vote was 10-2), and because a unanimous decision is required for punitive damages in Texas, it's likely that the punitive damages, which can be as much as twice the compensatory damages plus $750,000 (i.e., another $8.85 million), will be far less (or even nothing at all).

Jones faces two more such trials.

Meanwhile, Jones's attorneys have been ordered to appear in Connecticut superior court next week because apparently they also improperly shared confidential medical records when they carelessly provided discovery materials a couple weeks ago.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't understand how that could be 10-2 and what the 2 saw differently.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:28 am I don't understand how that could be 10-2 and what the 2 saw differently.
One of the two is apparently a free-speech absolutist.