Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Maria »

Well, here I was all proud of finding a cute way to point out an obvious autocorrect typo, only to find out it wasn't a typo at all. :(

Yuck.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This is unfortunate:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Free and Open Town Square! (Only $19.95/mo!)

Most of the exposure I have to Twitter are stories linked on this forum, so I don't use it much. I really don't see the new direction it's being taken to be a good one.

Maria wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:49 pm Well, here I was all proud of finding a cute way to point out an obvious autocorrect typo, only to find out it wasn't a typo at all. :(

Yuck.
Sorry!
Probably the most chilling song in Cabaret (in my humble opinion) is Tomorrow Belongs To Me. The number that starts seeming quite sweet.. only to become simply revolting (to me). The song represents everything wrong with misguided patriotism/Nationalism (to the detriment of everyone else).
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:02 pm Free and Open Town Square! (Only $19.95/mo!)

Most of the exposure I have to Twitter are stories linked on this forum, so I don't use it much. I really don't see the new direction it's being taken to be a good one.
I saw a report earlier today that Twitter's rapid implosion could contribute to chaos on Tuesday because there may be lots of newly "verified" accounts tweeting false reports about the election with practically no moderation team to filter out the lies. But at the rate things are going, I'm half wondering if Twitter will even exist in four days.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

On the subject of Musk/Twitter:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Also on the subject of Twitter
Screenshot_20221104-174544.jpg
Screenshot_20221104-174544.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
And then https://lettuce.wtf/
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Don't underestimate lettuce. The last time someone tried to outlast a lettuce the lettuce won.

Musk should've stuck with rockets and cars. He was good at those.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

River wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:06 am Musk should've stuck with rockets and cars. He was good at those.
was he, tho?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

To the surprise of absolutely no one who ever worked on any kind of software project, Twitter asks some laid off workers to come back
Some of those who are being asked to return were laid off by mistake. Others were let go before management realized that their work and experience may be necessary to build the new features Musk envisions, the report said citing people familiar with the moves.
I assume these people will demand a nice raise. And then job search with all their might.

Wait until they start looking for that guy who did that one thing by hand every full moon that kept the entire site from collapsing.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

heh, heh, heh. Yeah.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ah, there it is.
20221106_233129.jpg
20221106_233129.jpg (106.3 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Today I also learned the term "load bearing tomato" - a random object or section of code in a digital project, such as a tomato appearing in a specific and unusual run of a video game, that clearly has no bearing on anything else, yet causes the entire system to crash when it is deleted.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sunsilver wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:33 pm
Alatar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:54 pm I thought this was quite amusing :)

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2021/ ... war-crime/ Britain Proud Of Never Having Committed Single War Crime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, yeah, the British version of The Onion... :rofl:

Ahem. Irish.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:13 am Today I also learned the term "load bearing tomato" - a random object or section of code in a digital project, such as a tomato appearing in a specific and unusual run of a video game, that clearly has no bearing on anything else, yet causes the entire system to crash when it is deleted.
So I have seen something like this play out in real time. Stresses the software team. The rest of us just stand by scratching our heads.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

elengil wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:58 am
River wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:06 am Musk should've stuck with rockets and cars. He was good at those.
was he, tho?
Yes. We watch youtubes discussing SpaceEx projects quite a lot and the rockets are pretty darn impressive.

I know nothing about the cars, though.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I know people who are quite happy with their Teslas. I hope for their sake that there's someone in charge there who understands making cars better than Musk understands making software for social media platforms.

Because if this is true, we've been through that back in the 80s if not earlier.
20221107_074757.jpg
20221107_074757.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It's pretty hard not to think paranoid thoughts about Musk wrecking Twitter right before an election given that he's clearly been compromised by Russia at least a little
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh dear lord.. hubby watches Tesla videos.. all. of. the. time. He is fascinated by the construction of their facilities, etc.. and he could discuss Tesla/SpaceX all day long. :help: (Please make it go away!)

Elon Musk has some areas of genius and some areas where he is clueless, as is common for those with Asperger's (a high functioning type of Autism). Because his thought process is different and he doesn't experience emotions the way many of us do, he does not have the fear that prevents him from doing certain things.. both great and crazy. It's something those with Asperger's have in common with narcissists, but it's not quite the same. It's a type of blindness. Those who are on the autism spectrum often misses finer detail of how things work and the efforts/needs of others. It's called 'Theory of mind' and he (and others with autism) don't have or struggle with it.

Re: Frelga's previous post/mcmillen tweet, when I used to work for an insurance company I would train others. Trainees would get all of the easy renters applications/policies and statistically it looked like they were really pumping out the work. The more experienced workers, such as myself, might spend all day on one complicated policy while also training others. It's stuff like that which is often missed if one is only going by pure statistics.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Just last Thursday, before all of this whiskey met tango foxtrot, I was in a meeting discussing productivity reports, and was making fire pronouncements. "Beware," said I, "for you get what you measure. I still remember when they used to pay programmers based on lines of code they wrote." We laughed at how silly that had been.

I have a favorite story of trying to solve a gnarly problem with pages and pages of increasingly complex code that kept crashing. Then I had a genuine shower epiphany. Next day, I replaced all that mess of code with literally three lines. Which worked.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:00 am Just last Thursday, before all of this whiskey met tango foxtrot, I was in a meeting discussing productivity reports, and was making fire pronouncements. "Beware," said I, "for you get what you measure. I still remember when they used to pay programmers based on lines of code they wrote." We laughed at how silly that had been.

I have a favorite story of trying to solve a gnarly problem with pages and pages of increasingly complex code that kept crashing. Then I had a genuine shower epiphany. Next day, I replaced all that mess of code with literally three lines. Which worked.
wisdom dear bought.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF