Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Sunsilver »

:rofl: LOL! That took me a moment...
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:40 am I wouldn't think a person would be able to designate all 520 acres of a business as tax-free for one grave. But I am not a lawyer and know nothing.
Harrington later tweeted the full New Jersey tax code for cemetery land. While there is no stipulation for the amount of human remains necessary in order to qualify for the break, sales of wreaths, larger evergreen arrangements, flowers and other similar items are taxable.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:12 am
RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:40 am I wouldn't think a person would be able to designate all 520 acres of a business as tax-free for one grave. But I am not a lawyer and know nothing.
Harrington later tweeted the full New Jersey tax code for cemetery land. While there is no stipulation for the amount of human remains necessary in order to qualify for the break, sales of wreaths, larger evergreen arrangements, flowers and other similar items are taxable.
But surely there are requirements that it be the *primary use of the property*!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I briefly looked over a small portion of the rules & regulations regarding cemeteries in New Jersey and there cannot be more than 5 in a municipality (there are already 5 in the area). A cemetery cannot be more than 250 acres. A permit has to be granted to qualify as a cemetery, etc.. etc..
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:12 am
On further consideration, this is a good thing. I can't even begin to imagine if he thought he had a quota to fill :scarey:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

elengil wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:41 amOn further consideration, this is a good thing. I can't even begin to imagine if he thought he had a quota to fill :scarey:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I wonder if this is in accordance with what Ivana and her children wanted.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile, the Florida man was asked to endorse a candidate in the Missouri Republican primary, the choices being Eric Greitens or Eric Schmitt. TFG endorsed “ERIC.”

Both Erics expressed their gratitude for the endorsement.
Last edited by Frelga on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:20 amI wonder if this is in accordance with what Ivana and her children wanted.
I'd think her next of kin would have had to sign off on it, no? Presumably that's her children? Which is not to say I think Donald Jr, Ivanka, and Eric are above underhanded tax evasion gambits. But who knows, maybe she really did want to be buried on her ex-husband's golf course!

Hidden text.
/s
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Cross-post with Frelga.
Frelga wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:44 amMeanwhile, the Florida man was asked to endorse a candidate in the Missouri Republican primary, the choices being Eric Greitens or Eric Schmitt. TFG endorsed “ERIC.”

Both Erics expressed their gratitude for the endorsement.
This is some galaxy brain political strategy right here. Truly, Trump has been playing eight-dimensional Hungry Hungry Hippos the whole time.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I don't know enough about Hungry Hippos to get the reference, Eldy, but I DO know he will do just about anything to get votes!

Here's an example from his campaign in 2016. I'm sure we ALL know how 'friendly' he turned out to be to the LBGT community! :roll:
Attachments
Trump and gay flag.jpg
Trump and gay flag.jpg (138.55 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:48 pmI don't know enough about Hungry Hippos to get the reference, Eldy, but I DO know he will do just about anything to get votes!
Ruining a joke by explaining it:

Hidden text.
It's an old joke about how some people used to insist that Trump was a master of strategy, playing "four-dimensional chess" by pretending to be an idiot, while in fact running circles around his opponents. I disagreed at the time, and still do (not to say Trump shouldn't be taken seriously, because the fact that he won in 2016 proves he should, but that I don't think he won because he's a genius). To highlight what I believe is the absurdity of this claim, I replaced the mention of chess with Hungry Hungry Hippos, a kids' game for which most people's strategy is just pushing a lever as fast as possible.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:36 am Last week, someone anonymously gave $1 million in the cryptocurrency Bitcoin to conservative fringe media personality Alex Jones. In 2021, Jones received another $266,000 in cryptocurrency from an apparently different but also anonymous donor.

I post in this thread because Jones played a prominent role in the events of January 6th.

Jones has also been in the news lately because of lawsuits filed by families of the victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, in which twenty young children and six teachers were shot to death at a school in Connecticut. Jones alleged repeatedly that the whole thing was a fiction and that the grieving parents were actors. Last fall, two different judges entered default judgements against Jones, who they determined had engaged in various chicanery to undermine the legal process. Recently, the plaintiffs have alleged that Jones has been hiding his assets and/or moving them to shell corporations in order to avoid paying them.
Sunsilver wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:27 am N.E.'s post about Alex Jones should go in the WTF thread! :nono:
The trial in some Sandy Hook parents' defamation lawsuit against the conspiracy theorist and vitamin-hawking talk show host Alex Jones is currently underway. Today some of those parents testified. Having previously claimed that he would be in attendance for this testimony, Jones wasn't present this morning, and one of the parents said that Jones's absence showed that he was a coward. Where was Jones? He was broadcasting his live television/radio program.

On today's program, Jones discussed the trial and the very witness who was then testifying, saying that parent "is being manipulated ... is slow [and] ... is on the spectrum."

So during a different parent's testimony early this afternoon, the parents' lawyers played a clip from the show Jones broadcast today. I'm not sure if they played the part where Jones today said the judge in the case is "demonically possessed." Jones's attorney tried to prevent the clip from being shown on the grounds that the defense hadn't received advance notice, but the judge overruled his objection, saying that there was no way to provide notice of statements about the case that Jones literally broadcast that day.

Jones did arrive at court later today, because he is himself testifying. As today's proceeding's concluded, the judge warned Jones to stop making side comments directed to the jury. Jones will be cross-examined tomorrow.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

There are few people in this world that I dislike as much as Alex Jones. I think what he has done is even crueler than what Trump has done. It has certainly extended over a longer period of time.

I hope they lock him up and throw away the key!! :rage:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is not a criminal case.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[sigh] More's the pity... :( Apparently the parents of the children are still getting threats. :rage: https://apnews.com/article/health-shoot ... 03f8fa5832
Mark Bankston, attorney for Heslin and Lewis, said the family has gone into isolation under a “large and professional security team” because of an incident that happened since the trial began. He did not provide details of what happened.

“They are in isolation and they are going to stay that way, and all I can tell you is they are terrified right now,” Bankston said.
And one conspiracy theorist did get prison time for her death threats against the parents: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sa ... st-n769276
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Eldy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:45 am
RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:20 amI wonder if this is in accordance with what Ivana and her children wanted.
I'd think her next of kin would have had to sign off on it, no? Presumably that's her children? Which is not to say I think Donald Jr, Ivanka, and Eric are above underhanded tax evasion gambits. But who knows, maybe she really did want to be buried on her ex-husband's golf course!

Hidden text.
/s
Sorry to backtrack, and pull the discussion away from the Jones trial but just saw this:
New Jersey tax code exempts cemetery land from all taxes, rates, and assessments. By burying his ex-wife on his golf course, Trump now has yet another way of avoiding taxes on the 520-acre property. Or at least on the approximately 10-acres around where Ivana is buried.

He already gets a deep discount by growing hay and raising a small herd of goats on the land, which allows him to claim the estate is used for “agriculture”, thus qualifying it as “farmland”, which reduces his tax bill from $80,000 to less than $1,000.
So, this leaves no doubt in my mind he had her buried there to avoid taxes.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's due to things like that which make the rich get richer & the poor get poorer (footing the bill for wealthy tax grifters).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:There seems to have been an epidemic of text-wiping!
Ah, but if you are not careful, then this happens.
Wow. Sandy Hook parents' lawyer is revealing that Alex Jones' lawyers sent him the contents of Jones' phone BY MISTAKE.

"12 days ago, your attorneys messed up and sent me a digital copy of every text" Jones has sent for years.

"You know what perjury is?" the lawyer asks.
Thread continues here

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Frelga »

PS followed by this exchange. Slack is a writer for Law and Order, among other shows.
Screenshot_20220803-110639.jpg
Screenshot_20220803-110639.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
PS2 and now his ex-wife wants to subpoena the phone to prove that Jones should be paying more for child support.

May be the TANJ* principle will fail just this once.

* there ain't no justice