Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Frelga »

They misspelled "terrorists."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:50 pm They misspelled "terrorists."
They really manage to get that wrong an awful lot.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:32 pm
Frelga wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:50 pm They misspelled "terrorists."
They really manage to get that wrong an awful lot.
Yeah. :(

Crazies like that make me so sad/angry/upset. Something similar happened here in 2009 (my young-earth creationist neighbor was involved) -thankfully sans firearms. They also got into school board positions and wreaked havoc. It's like a sickness and it really takes a toll on a community.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

This isn't exactly for this thread but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else and I kinda feel like I've lost my mind.

The 'official' Obama portraits were unveiled but those aren't the portraits I remember seeing. I specifically remember Michelle's multi-color/black&white block dress.

Anyone know what happened??
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I think that’s the one that’s hanging at the Smithsonian.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:29 pm I think that’s the one that’s hanging at the Smithsonian.
aaahhh..

Thank you
was a 2020 planner.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A reporter in Las Vegas was stabbed to death outside his home Friday night, and it appears that police suspect a local county official is involved; he is a lame-duck Democrat who lost his primary in June following stories by the reporter about the official being an abusive boss.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:bang: :bawl:

The founding fathers must be rolling over in their graves.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Same energy.
Screenshot_20220726-173623.jpg
Screenshot_20220726-173623.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
We the people disagree.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Headlines from a story at (NBC):

"Michigan man who killed his wife went down a 'rabbit hole' of conspiracy theories after Trump's 2020 loss, daughter says. Igor Lanis became obsessed with QAnon and the 'deep state' before he gunned down his wife, nearly killed their daughter and then was fatally shot by police, his other daughter said."

The family lived in the town of Walled Lake. He was 53. His wife was 56; he shot her in the back multiple times as she was leaving the house. The wounded daughter is 25 and called 911. The other daughter, 21, wasn't home at the time. She says the man regularly argued about politics with his wife and daughters and that he thought Fox News had been compromised by the left. He also killed the family dog. When police arrived, he shot at them and they returned fire, killing him.

Edit: Sorry, I now see that this story was already mentioned by Rose in the 2020 Election thread. (I searched the forum unsuccessfully for "Michigan" before posting here, but again I should have read more carefully first.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:49 pm Headlines from a story at (NBC):

"Michigan man who killed his wife went down a 'rabbit hole' of conspiracy theories after Trump's 2020 loss, daughter says. Igor Lanis became obsessed with QAnon and the 'deep state' before he gunned down his wife, nearly killed their daughter and then was fatally shot by police, his other daughter said."

The family lived in the town of Walled Lake. He was 53. His wife was 56; he shot her in the back multiple times as she was leaving the house. The wounded daughter is 25 and called 911. The other daughter, 21, wasn't home at the time. She says the man regularly argued about politics with his wife and daughters and that he thought Fox News had been compromised by the left. He also killed the family dog. When police arrived, he shot at them and they returned fire, killing him.

Edit: Sorry, I now see that this story was already mentioned by Rose in the 2020 Election thread. (I searched the forum unsuccessfully for "Michigan" before posting here, but again I should have read more carefully first.)
No worries. I didn't know where to place it. The guy way into the QAnon conspiracy theories .. and what does Trump do? Egg them on, even after this. What a horrible ... being.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dennis Prager is a prominent political commentator with a nationally syndicated radio program (I've heard it here in Cleveland):

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Smh.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There are PragerU/PragerUniversity channels on YouTube which put out.. smh.. propaganda/conspiracy videos.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The Washington Post reports that Oklahoma's State Bureau of Investigation has been secretly investigating a "body dumping ground":

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Members of Antifa and the Proud Boys fought each other at a January 2021 demonstration in San Diego. There appear to have been violent acts on both sides, but prosecutors have chosen to pursue assault and conspiracy charges only against the Antifa members, and prosecutors have persuaded a judge to keep the identify of the victims in the case secret from the defense, but USA Today has identified some of them as members of white supremacist organizations. That doesn't mean they deserved to be assaulted, but it likely would support an argument that instead of a coordinated attack by Antifa against innocent victims, what you have here is what it seems to be: clashing protesters engaged in a brawl.

(Edited to add: I saw last night that V posted some useful caveats concerning this USA Today story, indicating that it may show bias against the prosecutor, and while that post appears to have been deleted, I would like to say that I appreciated that response and its notes of caution.)
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not. A. Parody.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Warfighters? Guardians? Against WHAT??
I don't think the Vulcans will be wanting to land here anytime soon! :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:shock: Wow. That reminds me of something.. Soviet or Nazi. *twitch* :scarey: :nono: :help: