Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That would a pretty awful red herring!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I imagine ROP could make for some pretty fascinating behind-the-scenes documentaries, if Amazon were inclined to invest the money to do more than the short videos they put out alongside The Wheel of Time S1. Not that I'd expect anything on the level of the LOTR-EE documentaries; that was the product of another era, early in the (ultimately brief) heyday of the DVD.

One part of the article that jumped out at me is the comment that the raft sequence spans Episodes 1 and 2. That seems to indicate the show will not, contrary to rumors, begin with an episode or even two-episode long prologue set in to the First Age (of course, there could be a shorter prologue in Ep. 1).
Voronwë the Faithful

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I love it. :rofl:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Excellent :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hilarious!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is an interesting detail that I did not know. Morfydd Clark is 33 years old. Cate Blanchett was 31 years old when principal filming of her scenes in Lothlórien began in 2000.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I would not have guessed that as Morfydd Clark's age!

Show!Galadriel looks younger than I expected them to go, but as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, it actually meshes nicely with my recently revised mental picture of Galadriel based on Tolkien's discussion of her age in NoMe—not that I think that was the writers' / casting director's motivation (NoMe had not yet been published when Clark was cast).
Voronwë the Faithful

Benjamin Walker (Gil-galad) is 40. Charles Edwards (Celebrimbor) is 53. It just doesn't make sense.

For the record, Robert Aramayo, who plays Elrond, will be 30 later this year. So the only one that is way out of line is Celebrimbor.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Yeah, I have no idea what they were going for with Celebrimbor. The hair doesn't help with the feeling of wrongness, and I say this as someone who is more or less reconciled to show!Finrod having short hair (we see him in a battle, he has a utilitarian haircut, I get it; Celebrimbor looks way too modern). That said, it's possible that once I see the show itself, the portrayal will make sense on its own terms, even if I would never have chosen that path.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe, but I doubt it. But if that is the worst thing about the show, then it still has a chance to shine nonetheless.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:17 amMaybe, but I doubt it.
:rofl:

I was trying to be optimistic and evenhanded, but ... yeah. :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I just feel like Celebrimbor's hair reminds me of a Televangelist type, and it kinda works in that context. Someone who is superficially good, but vain and easily flattered. He has hair that looks like he spends time maintaining it? The sort of person Sauron could easily manipulate.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol. Good point, Al.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's actually an interesting point. Long hair can be just braided or bunned, but short hair must be styled to look good. Unless it's a buzz cut.

(I've given up on maintaining a bob. It's buns all the way now!)

OTOH, I'm reminded of how Sebastian Stan grew his hair long for his role as the Winter Soldier because he said he hated wigs. Perhaps the actor also can't deal with wigs and can't keep his hair long for the duration of the TV show filming?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

There's a (very) small amount of new footage in this promo video, including what appears to be the sea monster destroying Galadriel's ship.

Voronwë the Faithful

Hard to believe that the show is one month from premier. It seems like it has been an awfully long road since the rumors first started circulating almost five years ago!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The Covid time warp effect makes it hard to judge, but mentally listing all the things that have changed about my life since then, both IRL and with my involvement in fandom ... it's a lot. Bizarre to think we didn't even have a title for the show until January. I'm very eager to finally get to see it!