Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sharing this from DeadRabbits at TORN.
12 of the characters from Amazon's posters were revealed yesterday in a live stream and later on Twitter by Fellowship of Fans. Supposedly, the information comes from leaks inside the production.

Character #1 is Carine, Isildur's sister, played by Ema Horvath.

Character #3 is Pharazôn (not yet Ar-Pharazôn) played by Trystan Gravelle.

Character #8 is Elendil, played by Lloyd Owen.

Character #10 is the "meteor man" (no actor confirmed). Reportedly, the Harfoots will encounter a character that falls from space.

Character #12 is Celebrimbor played by Charles Edwards. Tom Budge was previously cast in this role but left after "creative differences" with the production.

Character #13 is Elrond, played by Robert Aramayo.

Character #14 is Isildur, played by Maxim Baldry.

Character #15 is Adar, a corrupted Elf, and not Sauron or the Witch-king as some have suggested. Adar is played by Joseph Mawle and will reportedly lead Orcs in battles against human settlements.

Character #18 is Gil-galad, played by Benjamin Walker.

Character #21 is Galadriel, played by Morfydd Clark.

Character #22 is the Dwarven queen and Durin's wife, played by Sophia Nomvete.

Character #23 is Durin, played by Owain Arthur.

Also, character #7 is Ismael Cruz Cordova (character unknown).
The two that jump out at me (and not in a good way) are 10 and 15. :roll: Of course, I have no idea whether any of this is remotely true.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Meteor man?????!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I prefer the guesses to supposed leaks. Some nice guesswork over on TORN

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/0 ... ey-reveal/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Maybe Fellowship of Fans is getting bad info and they've achieved an outsized prominence in the community by giving a few smaller accurate leaks. And possibly by getting some of their associates as moderators on the LotR Prime reddit (at least I think I I saw this? If so it really seems like a conflict of interest).

Or maybe they're right and will be fully vindicated. I really don't know.
Voronwë the Faithful

At this point, either they'll be proven right, or proven to have been a huge fraud. There is no in-between anymore.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:04 pm I prefer the guesses to supposed leaks. Some nice guesswork over on TORN

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/0 ... ey-reveal/
This was a nice read.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The folks over on META-TORC have me LOLROTF! They are reminiscing about the message board, and oh heck, go see for yourself! Wildwood and a few other well known members have put in their 2 cent's worth. And yes, Wildwood is still addicted to similes :D Ah, the innocence, the innocence... :D :D

I can't remember this member's TORC name, but she was previously married to the infamous Iaavas Saar (sp?) Y'all will know who I'm talking about without me posting her RL name... :rofl: :rofl:
Oh sweet summer child....
Some people over at LotR subreddits are getting distressed by the speculating and arguing starting up over the Amazon series. They seem to be under the impression that the LotR fandom has always been a calm and wholesome space. I think the groups skew young, people either being young children or not born when the movies came out.
I wish I could link them to TORC movie threads about the Balrog's wings, elves at Helm's Deep, Arwen at Helm's Deep, etc, etc. They really have no clue how bad it got. 😆😆
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2424762 ... 5807457805
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sunsilver wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:54 pm

I can't remember this member's TORC name, but she was previously married to the infamous Iaavas Saar (sp?) Y'all will know who I'm talking about without me posting her RL name... :rofl: :rofl:
That’s Eruname.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Ah, right! Thanks, Alatar!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

I found this video rather interesting. . . . is that Jonathan on that twitter account? There is not a mention on the 'new' TORC forum.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Hmm, yes would really like to know the identity of that poster. The email on that account is NOT the one Jonathan uses when sending out e-mails to members. He uses theonering@enthusiastinic.email.

Whoever it is raises some good points, though I don't think Jon would criticize theonering.net and whatever the other Tolkien group was he mentioned as being in favour of Tolkien's work being twisted and changed.

Edit: just went to TORC, and can confirm it is indeed Jonathan!! :shock: https://www.theonering.com/fellowship/f ... post-28014
Voronwë the Faithful

I only watched the first third or so of that video, maybe closer to half. The problem that I was seeing was the the quotes from Tolkien that he was using didn't actually apply to the points that he was trying to make. So to me it just sounded like sour grapes.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Sunsilver wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:56 am Hmm, yes would really like to know the identity of that poster. The email on that account is NOT the one Jonathan uses when sending out e-mails to members. He uses theonering@enthusiastinic.email.

Whoever it is raises some good points, though I don't think Jon would criticize theonering.net and whatever the other Tolkien group was he mentioned as being in favour of Tolkien's work being twisted and changed.

Edit: just went to TORC, and can confirm it is indeed Jonathan!! :shock: https://www.theonering.com/fellowship/f ... post-28014
Yes, he owned up to it. I guess he's a twitterer these days. No wonder the 'new' TORC is fairly dead.

Oh weell...

As for this series, it's a bit much to be reaching for conclusions without seeing it. I'll likely pass some sort of judgement come mid September or so after seeing 2 or 3 episodes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Snowdog wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:09 am
As for this series, it's a bit much to be reaching for conclusions without seeing it. I'll likely pass some sort of judgement come mid September or so after seeing 2 or 3 episodes.[/size]
I think this is a wise course to take. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But then what would we talk about?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:24 am But then what would we talk about?
:D Yes, yes, I know.
Talk yes, get really, really upset (before the series even comes out).. eh.. not so much. :)

I'm not directing my words at anyone in particular, it's a result of reflecting on comments/memes I've seen all over the internet.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

https://sports.yahoo.com/billion-dollar ... 02423.html

So it started out good with the headline:
For a billion dollar show, why does the new Lord of the Rings trailer look so cheap?
But then it hit solid gold when it dropped
but all that talk of striving ambition makes it sound suspiciously like the inflated price tag is really just yet another willy-waving exercise from the man who brought us a wildly phallic space rocket.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Here's a well-done fan-generated 'trailer' for the series...

--Bilbo Baggins