Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree. For those who do not recall, Clinesmith is the FBI attorney who was the one person charged in the investigation of the Russia investigation.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A former KGB officer named Yuri Shvets says that Donald Trump was an "operational contact" of Russian intelligence for 40 years.

But is Shvets telling the truth? Or does Russia now think it benefits them for the world to believe that Trump was their man?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Those are not mutually exclusive options.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the Guardian story referenced in that tweet: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... y-new-book
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote:
Parody is dead.

Case in point.
Marjorie Taylor Greene promoted a conspiracy theory that a space laser beam -- possibly fired by "Rothschild Inc" -- was used to intentionally start the deadly 2018 Camp Fire in California.
https://twitter.com/timothywjohnson/sta ... 28260?s=19
Jewish Laser Satellites now trends on Jewish Twitter.

When processing that this outrageous claim was made by a sitting US Senator, on the Education Committee no less, it's important to remember that this approach is perfectly consistent with the Nazi approach to propaganda. And I suspect that if an objective observer were to compare the target audiences, they would probably bet that the Germans of the 1930s would be more difficult to subvert.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Which senator?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Representative, sorry.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Just awful. I lay much of blame at the feet of McConnell and other Republican leadership. In their greed they sacrificed checks & balances, fair play, honor, morality, and traded it in for party over country lunacy. They catered to crazy and here we are. Boebert from Colorado is another horror. When they began harassing families of school children shot in massacres as fake.. :doh: :nono: what passes for such 'politics' is sheer evil derangement and it should be called out for what it is, not further coddled.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I really hope the rest of the Colorado delegation sits Boebert down for a chat about Not Embarassing Yourself, Your District, and Your State on a National Platform. Though she's been quiet lately so maybe they did. Or someone else told her to STFU. I know at least one of her high level staffers quit.

Anyway, she's a pretty good example of why the Colorado GOP is having a bad time with statewide elections lately. The 2018 Blue Wave in Colorado wasn't merely a wave. It was a tsunami. Nothing that's happened since has decontaminated the GOP brand in this state either. Trump nd his acolytes effed themselves over pretty good in these parts.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

South Carolina GOP did take a stand...

As I've said. Trump's America = GOP America.
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina Republicans on Saturday issued a formal censure to U.S. @RepTomRice, taking the step in disapproval of his vote supporting the second impeachment of Donald Trump.
https://twitter.com/MegKinnardAP/status ... 91881?s=19

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe Arizona GOP did the same, censuring those who have spoken out against Trump: Cindy McCain, Former Senator Jeff Flake, and Rep. Gov. Doug Ducey.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

If Trump does start a new party, may I suggest that for its animal mascot, he select a colt?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dave_LF wrote:If Trump does start a new party, may I suggest that for its animal mascot, he select a colt?
If he does, I bet it will be an eagle.

Oh wait, it already is.

Trump 2020 campaign accused of ‘ripping off’ Nazi eagle logo

Although I don't know why the headline says "ripping off" instead of "inspired by."

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't get the colt reference.

There is a video about 'ripping off vs. inspired by'.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:If Trump does start a new party, may I suggest that for its animal mascot, he select a colt?
If he does, I bet it will be an eagle.

Oh wait, it already is.

Trump 2020 campaign accused of ‘ripping off’ Nazi eagle logo

Although I don't know why the headline says "ripping off" instead of "inspired by."
Donald Trump infamously doesn't get along with eagles:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I don't get the colt reference.
Say it aloud. ;)
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:
Say it aloud. ;)
colt like cult or a colt like occult? Either way, I see no reason to drag the poor horse into this. Why beat around the bush anyway, just let him use a white hood and be done with it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Why would Trump start a new party when he still has the GOP so firmly in his pocket?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
Say it aloud. ;)
colt like cult or a colt like occult? Either way, I see no reason to drag the poor horse into this. Why beat around the bush anyway, just let him use a white hood and be done with it.
Ah :doh: Of course.

Trump has said he was going to start his own MAGA party. Branding, you know. :roll: