fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by elengil »

I have started down the path of miniature insanity. I am aiming for 1:24 scale, though the brushes are a bit oversized for that. But I've started my first pieces for my booknook: a broom, two paint brushes with bristles, and a dip pen. I did paint tiny little ferrules on the brushes, but I need to sand slightly and add a black handle on the pen - though I might turn that into a third brush and make a quill pen instead? We'll see.

Here are the best pictures I could get. I left the mouse in the frame for scale, but also a used standard sized matchstick. I carved the brushes and pen out of spent matches, and the broom was made from a skewer stick, a bit of frayed rope, and a bit of embroidery thread.
Hidden text.
Minis.jpg
Minis.jpg (243.2 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
Broom.jpg
Broom.jpg (365.4 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
Brushes.jpg
Brushes.jpg (212.53 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I can't wait to see your progress!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think it's awesome! I'd like to make one but I have to get a handle on my current projects & supplies.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Welp, since I had the paint brushes... I thought I might as well make some paintings. :D
Hidden text.
PAINTINGS.jpg
PAINTINGS.jpg (197.44 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
Last edited by elengil on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:Wow...
lol you caught me! I realized I hadn't resized it so it was way too big. It's closer to scale now.

They're 1/2" x 3/4"
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

No, no - I am on On tapatalk so it resizes automatically; my wow was for the incredibleness of the paintings
elengil

Post by elengil »

:kiss: You're too sweet!

I'm thinking that may also be just about my limit at the moment. I need a finer brush to go smaller... but that would be fun to go for a letter sized scale which would be half of what I have there... oy! Maybe I *am* crazy? :D
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Those are amazing! And so tiny! Love the winterscape.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

When I was doing extremely fine work in needle felting, I eventually had my optometrist give me a prescription for as high a power magnification glasses as he would allow. (I think it was about 4X) That let me see what I was doing much better. I'd tried magnifying goggles over my glasses before that, but it was just really uncomfortable and awkward. I had the prescription filled at an online glasses store (Zenni) and soon had my magnifying glasses for about $9.00.

I still use them occasionally.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's good to know Maria. That tiny work is hard for me.. I tend to go big. Getting things to scale.. yikes!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Those are amazing! And so tiny! Love the winterscape.
:love:

Bear in mind, these are just the ones that turned out well. lol I tossed a bunch in the pursuit.

Maria, thankfully I don't need magnification yet - I can *see* everything just fine, it's my never-before-considered big-fat-fingers that get in the way LOL That and I need a finer brush. But my sight is still good enough for this.

Rose, I have a tendency to go smaller because I always think it'll be easier than having to do the detail necessary on bigger. LOL I don't know that it's ever been true, but it's still my instinct. ;)
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm more suited to wall murals. But I do love the miniature booknooks! I'd have to get a bookshelf nice enough to display it in a prominent place.
elengil

Post by elengil »

My camera isn't good enough (or more likely I'm piss-poor camera operator) to actually photograph this!! :shock: it's approx. 1/2" tall, 3/4" x 1" base. I used that bendy plastic grid that sort of looks like aida cloth as the structure base and just wove on the crochet cotton, then sewed in a light blue lining and covered the top edge with a braid. Learned a lot for next time!

mostly what not to do! :rofl:

But what I am most proud of is not one drop of glue!!
Basket.jpg
Basket.jpg (160.13 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Love that!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Aw, that's precious!

elengil

Post by elengil »

I think I'm gonna have to rope my dad into taking some actual quality pictures because I wish you guys could actually hold this because those pictures really do not do this teensy little basket justice at all. LOL
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think the pictures give us a good idea of what it looks like. What is your overall theme?