fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
RoseMorninStar

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by RoseMorninStar »

OHMYGOSH Frelga! That is simply amazing. I'm in :love:
The actual frame is a quilt too! :shock:
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I can’t even fathom how that was made!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Oh, that is clever!

My older daughter gave my husband a t-shirt press a few months ago to thank him for all the work he did on her house last summer, and you can print images on a printer and then heat press them onto the piece of clothing.

I suspect that "quilt" was done with something like that. Print the three paintings out on transfer paper, then cut them in strips and lay them out in appropriate order on the cloth and then transfer. Or maybe do the cutting and pasting digitally and then put whole sheets of the transfer paper onto the cloth.

Then fanfold and sew and it's done.

Maybe.

I'm sure there's a steep learning curve involved.

My husband and I made this shirt for me last weekend.
Hidden text.
dragons.jpg
dragons.jpg (418.88 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
It was mostly a proof of concept tee. An old t-shirt, with only 10% polyester. Turns out the dye doesn't stick well on that low of poly blend and the dragons turned maroon/brown after washing. It's still cool, though, and I'll probably wear it to work tomorrow.
I
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Nice!

When my daughter was in her early teens she had a LotR themed sleep-over birthday party and I made t-shirts for each attendee with self-printed iron-on transfers. It was fun.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I crocheted a baby blanket. :love:
baby blanket.jpg
baby blanket.jpg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
I had to find a small, compact stitch to use, so the little guy won't get fingers and toes caught in the holes. So I picked the "moss stitch" and did a bunch of tinkering and eventually came up with this.

When I was halfway done with it, my daughter mentioned that they will be using sleep sacks at first because traditional bedding just isn't safe. :bang: Who knew?

So maybe this is just for decoration. Or cuddling the baby in when awake? It is an exact copy of the tilework behind the wood stove in my house, so maybe they'll like it just for that reason.

It's done in acrylic yarn for easy of washing. The big wool one I made for us will be a pain to wash when that finally needs doing. Something ostensibly for a baby should be easily washable.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

That is a beautiful, lovely, and exceptionally thoughtful gift! And even if it isn't used in the baby bed, baby can still get snuggled up in it while being held or nursed or in the car...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria, that is stunning! Beautiful. I think it will be appreciated for the labor of love that it is no matter how it is used.. and I'm sure it will get some use.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Maria, I had several 2'x3' quilts which were handy for draping over the car seat or under the kid outdoors. It's beautiful!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

For a while I was stressing about how one side of each triangle makes several blobs into the other color. I tried so many different ways of changing the colors, but nothing I tried worked as well as this, so I eventually decided to make it part of the pattern. Now that it's done, and the non-smooth transition areas are part of the overall pattern- I've decided it's more of a feature than a bug.

Even last night I thought of another yet way to try to make a two color granny square..... and while the transition was smoother, the corners were rounder and pulled in. Bah! I quit. The weird little chunks can just stay.

(And yes, I saw youtube vids on the topic, but none of them used the stitch I was using, so it didn't work right and ended up causing more problems than it solved.)

But... yeah. I've got a unique pattern going. I really ought to video myself on how I do everything so I can repeat the process some day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s a lovely blanket! And blankets are useful in myriad situations.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria, I think those 'blobs' are a lovely feature (not a bug). It gives it a softer, almost lacy look.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I had a pattern I loved to crochet that was essentially granny hexagons, not granny squares. It used a large hook and double yarn. Half the fun was blending different colors from one hex to the next, in 3 directions. I made about a dozen afghans with that pattern- each one different. The photos below are of the afghan I made for my parents, which eventually came back to me. I used a multicolored yarn, plus six different solid colored selections that were represented in the multicolor yarn. The center hex is two strands of mulitcolor. The surrounding 6 hexes are each a multicolor plus a solid. The next ring out is double solids, or two adjacent solids. The outer hexes are multicolor plus the adjacent solid color. I had fun geeking out on that one. Other afghans I made were similar, but more simple blendings, to make rainbow stripes or a fried egg pattern.
Attachments
afghancloseup.jpg
afghancloseup.jpg (763.71 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
afghan.jpg
afghan.jpg (471.19 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Oh, wow! That turned out really nice!
I like the pinwheel pattern the holes make in each hex, too. :)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow, that's some fancy needlework narya. I love the colors.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Somehow, I didn't envision the baby looking like he had fairy wings with this blanket pattern!
20220822_171218.jpg
20220822_171218.jpg (55.71 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Awesome! I love the pattern of those squares! :love: Such an adorable photo!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Biblically accurate baby!

Beautiful blanket, I love the bold colors.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Unfortunately, the pattern of the crochet imprinted itself on him pretty quick :oops: , so she's not going to use the blanket again until he's strong enough to move around some.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

So bold in pattern and colour!

Aside: I love the blur of teeny feet kicking :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I made a Jayne hat!
IMG_20221101_134835481_HDR (002).jpg
IMG_20221101_134835481_HDR (002).jpg (244.59 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
200.gif
200.gif (337.13 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
20221102_085553s.jpg
20221102_085553s.jpg (152.98 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
I wasn't there for the third pic, so am not responsible for it being on backwards. :P