Middle-earth Limited Collectors Edition Blu-ray Box Set!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Middle-earth Limited Collectors Edition Blu-ray Box Set!

Post by Alatar »

This is pretty gorgeous, but unless there's substantially new material included, I can't see myself paying the likely price...

Ever since the final ‘Hobbit’ film was released, fans have been waiting for a box set of all 6 Peter Jackson films. Well, it looks like that’s finally happening! Amazon announced today that a Middle-earth Limited Collectors Edition Blu-ray Box set would be released on October 4th of this year. From their listing:

– The Limited Collector’s Edition includes 30 discs featuring all six Middle-earth films in their extended edition forms, housed in six stunning faux leather books and a collectible Hobbit-style wood shelf. The one-of-a-kind wood shelf is crafted from solid wood with design selected by Peter Jackson.
– In addition to the extended edition release of every film, the collection also includes all previously released bonus content from both the theatrical and extended editions.
– Exclusive premiums designed for the collection include: · Spectacular 100-page sketch-style book with replica The Red Book of Westmarch, filled with original film sketches and new artwork · Original reproductions of exquisite watercolor paintings by acclaimed conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe, framable and wall-ready.

Special features (doesn’t specify whether these are all from the existing dvd/blu-ray editions):

– The Hobbit Extended Edition Trilogy features almost one hour of additional footage that were carefully selected under the supervision of director Peter Jackson (THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES extended edition is rated R), and more than 34 hours of theatrical and extended bonus content. The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy features more than 2 hours of extended scenes, also selected by Jackson, and more than 33 hours of theatrical and extended bonus content. Bonus content from The Hobbit trilogy theatrical and extended editions will be included on Blu-ray disc. Bonus content from The Lord of the Rings trilogy theatrical and extended editions will be included on DVD disc. Additionally, digital copies of all films in their theatrical and extended edition forms will be included for download on Digital HD.

No price is currently listed, however the website Io9 posted that it was initially listed with an $800 (gulp!) price tag before being removed. Expect to see the listing updated soon – hopefully with a less expensive price tag!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Middle-earth Limited Collectors Edition Blu-ray Box Set!

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Looks nice; not for me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I feel much the same. As I feel when somebody drives by in a cool little sports car. Looks fun; not worth the price to me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

$800!!!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Man.....if they can't find anyone interested in this crowd, who's gonna be buying these??
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's a serious question, yov! :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It does look very pretty... but seriously?

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It's beautiful. If I didn't already own the films I would be seriously considering this.

So, PJ asked the fans what was their favourite scene in each movie, and for The Hobbit they said... the scene with the barrels in the river? Wow.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

At $800? Really?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Oh, I missed that bit of info.

In that case, I'd probably pass.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yovargas wrote:Man.....if they can't find anyone interested in this crowd, who's gonna be buying these??
I've seen similar reactions at other, larger places (aka TORN). I'll be curious to see whether they meet their sales targets.

Most people at "other larger places" seem to be mostly disappointed at the lack of new content. I wonder whether poor sales of this offering would reduce the possibility of a future edition to includes some of the additional footage from both trinities that people seem to think eventually should be released.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, its kinda PJ's own fault for mentioning all the stuff they had in the can including Faramir and Éowyn's wedding. People have bought all this before, they're not even looking for a recut, just the extra footage.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On Twitter, I see people saying that as die-hard fans, they already have the movies, so that would be just paying $800 for a shelf.

Not being a die-hard fan of the Hobbits movies, I don't own the second trilogy but it comes around often enough on TV that I don't miss it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Some great commentary over on TORN:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2016/08 ... izes-fans/

Here's the most interesting parts:
I’ve done a bit of investigative sleuthing and found out the facts that have me seeing red: Peter Jackson faithfully and very earnestly offered (almost a year and half ago, perhaps two years back) to make this current “UCE” into a true “Unicorn Edition.” Michael Pellerin and PJ together proposed to WBHE that this combination of all six movies would be the perfect opportunity to send-off the Middle-earth Saga with a comprehensive look back. It would allow them to do brand spanking new 2-hour documentaries for each of the films featuring those outtakes and bloopers I have extolled; with even more frank discussion about “hot button” issues they couldn’t talk about at the time but now with the ease of time passing could be elucidated.

Imagine – not just dragons – but imagine seeing all that footage from the past – the glorious warts-and-all approach of looking at their accomplishements with a 16 year difference of time! Imagine where we, the avid audience, are given the benefit of seeing so much creativity in a whole new light. It is not an understatement that PJ and Company rose to the heights of film history with LOTR, winning 11 out of 11 Academy Awards for ROTK, the biggest clean sweep in Oscar history; and setting a bewildering high-watermark for filmic storytelling that redifined what long format stories can do for the cinema.

The kicker: Warner Bros. refused to pay for this. They balked and said, “We would only do ONE two-hour documentary, not a whole bunch of them, so let’s scale this whole thing back.” I’ve been told by the most reliable sources that PJ decided he would rather not do a half-assed retrospective and it would not be in alignment with what he had been enthused about for so long
In fact, Quickbeam goes on to report that Michael Pellerin had to fight the studio to allow him to continue the "Appendices" Special Features on The Hobbit movies, because research has shown that fans buy the movies whether or not special features are included:

While it was a long-held belief that adding Special Features, Behind-the-Scenes documentaries, and other “value added” content to a disc would improve sales by enticing buyers to get the goodies, the studios ran the numbers and discovered that, no, it didn’t make much difference. People would buy the stripped-down movie-only disc as much as the fancier version. The studios asserted then that after spending money on producers/ writers/ editors to make spiffy added content for discs they still didn’t see increased sales. It became a tougher prospect to get more added into a home video release of anything; as with all business they were watching their bottom line.

I’ve heard from many sources that Michael Pellerin himself had quite a fight on his hands with Warner Bros. to keep the same format of continuing “The Appendices” on the Extended Editions of HOBBIT. The studio didn’t want to match what was done years earlier for LOTR because it cost a pretty penny to make those beautiful extras, believe me. It took a lot of convincing to get the materials and coverage and do honor to the filmmakers’ efforts. It very nearly didn’t happen. We are all thankful that it did.
And since then, PJ has contacted TORN to say this:
“In addition there was the added difficulty of Warners needing to access the original negative and scan the outtakes, bloopers, and additional sequences. They declined to do this, which made Michael Pellerin and my original plans for the comprehensive documentary we hoped to produce for this box set, impossible to produce. Neither Michael nor myself are therefore involved in this release. Maybe Warners will support our planned documentary for the 25th anniversary, because we would love to make it one day.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The addition of the world's greatest documentaries still wouldn't make it worth the asking price.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

True, but it would at least be attractive to someone. I don't know anyone who's buying this, and I'm slap bang in the target market.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Would you buy it at that price if it had all the missing footage?

What if it had it in two formats: separately, and incorporated into the main movie?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not at that price, but I'd probably pay €300-400.